Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Don second try at cabin

Don I tried what you said and took the shot from more of an angle. The sky is not good again. It is hadr to find a good day in the winter months.
    Thanks again
    Frank

Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    Don I tried what you said and took the shot from more of an angle. The sky is not good again. It is hadr to find a good day in the winter months.
    Thanks again
    Frank
    Frank ... I guess what I was getting at was using the house as a reference point ... instead of the entire subject. Kind of like you were looking around it or "over its shoulder" so to speak.

Name:  rear of cabin - whats here.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  45.4 KB

Kind of leaning toward a panoramic-type of view.

Anyway ... the cabin definitely looks three-dimensional, now, which is great ... the angle gives it spacial definition.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-08-2008 at 12:40 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don
    I will wait for a better day and use my wide angle lens.

Thanks again
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Thumbs up Artistic license

Honestly, there is no harm in "backing up" with your standard lens and cropping for your creative work. A wide angle is appropriate for certain things, but can lead to distortions, which, of course, is usually an undesirable effect.

Your standard lens should offer a crisp image, also.

Best way is stretch your hands out in front of you and "frame" your image with them. You can mentally compose your shot, without having to fool around with the camera until you are ready. THen, once you have your left and right side-references clearly in mind ... look through the viewfinder and determine how far back you will need to be to get them. Should be an excellent shot, at that point. You have all your elements clearly defined:
    • Background
    • Subject - against background - "rule of thirds"
    • Angle of view - subject depth
    • Depth of Field (DOF) determinations (Aperture setting) for proper focus limitations
    • Elevation, if necessary.

As yourself one very important question: "What am I trying to depict?" or "What's the story in this image?"

Kind of rough illustration of where I'm going on this:

Name:  something along.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  12.9 KB

You try to get the image to stand on its own, without you having to explain it. Hey, it's heady stuff ... but, you are the artist. This is YOUR work and time. Once you think you've gotten it right ... you'll want to frame it. If other people think you have gotten it right, they'll want to buy it.

Honetly, you have your "subject" in a very unusual and stark venue ... so you want to work it up to the point where the viewer is interested in what occured that left this cabin to its current condition. A limited sense of wonder. Curiosity. Gosh, I hope I'm being clear on this. Oh what the heck, just get the shot and let's see what happens.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-08-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I like your picture. Can I frame that one next to mine when I finally get it right?
    Thanks again
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Talking Legally yours ...

Wise guy ... it was an illustration for visualization ... nothing too fancy. LOL

Yes ... you can have it ... I give up my creative rights to it. Reference this posting as evidence, if any question or challenge should arise ...

flickr & Sdi

I wasn't being a wise guy. I want to use it as a tutorial guide. Showing me how to properly compose the shot.
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Red face It can be hard ... to express ideas through words

Okay ,,, guess I was being the wise guy, then. LOL

As I have tried to suggest ... use your interesting-looking building (or what's left of it) as part of "the bigger picture" ... when it highlights itself as, perhaps, being the only thing out in that barren area. You want to give it enough detail and size to properly describe its deplorable condition, yet reduce it with the background to properly suggest where it is located and portray the compelling draw and emotional feel to "your find."

It's not just "some building in the wilderness" ... it's "THIS building surviving the wilderness, badly." That way it just has more interest, on an artistic level. You need to bond with the subject in a way that says "you are deeply interested in what is going on here" ... and then convey that subjectivity with your final image.

Don't be afraid to take a series from different angle and distances. Not just one or two, willy-nilly, here and there. Move and discover ... and pop a hundred frames if you have to. It's digital! It'll forgive you, unlike 35mm-film. You can throw away any images you want ... they're effectively free. You are on a hunt for the best image that reveals your vision. "Keepers." It won't be by accident ... it'll be by trial and error ... review ... and then critique. Something will work.

If you only took three images of something ... heck ... anything. One of those images will be better than the other two. You choose. Even if you didn't move ... something about one will make you choose it over the other two. Well, with your well-ventilated cabin ... do the same thing. You are only out there for a limited period of time ... make the most of it, so you won't have to keep going back. Change your exposure compensation ... ISO ... aperture ... speed ... and, of course, vary the distance and chosen angle just slightly. Use a circular polarizer, if you can, to alter and enhance that rather blaze' sky.

Then .. upon review, you will begin to see this subjectivity taking place ... something just looks better than everything else. They all could be effectively great shots ... nearly identical ... but, only nearly ... your artistic eye will pluck the "winner" from them all.

If you can, keep a log or small journal, during this shoot, that will help you keep track of just the right combination of settings, filters, distances, angles and/or lenses you used, in case you need to go back and improve upon it. Even if you don't the learning curve is definitely worth the time.

Hey, it just a hobby ... right?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-08-2008 at 06:09 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Once again thanks
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8