Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Pentax K100D Super vs K10D Please help

I'm a beginner looking to purchase either the Pentax K100D Super or K10D. I basically settled on the K100D due to it's price. I've come to this conclusion after looking at the Nikon D40/x and the Rebel XTI. The Rebel does not feel good in my hands and I believe the Pentax cameras offer a better value vs. Nikon (at least on the K100D Super).

I've found some great pricing on both Pentax cameras and am looking for some additional guidance. I believe the K100D is probably the best investment, as I am truly a beginner looking to use this camera for family photos, vacations and sporting events. The 6 MP on the K100D should be fine, but I wouldn't mind the 10 MP on the K10D.....but so far I'm not sure about the image quality...especially per Jeff's review. The K10D is also a bit more sturdy than the K100D.

Additionally, I'd like to get a quick opinion on lenses. Rex914's write-up was extremely helpful...thanks! I'm looking at basic lens combos....a walk around lens and a zoom up to 200 mm or possibly an "all in one" like the
    Pentax DA 18-250mm.

I'm concerned that the Pentax (16 oz) is really too heavy to carry around at all day events/vacations, but I like the F3.5-6.3 aperture. On the other hand I'm looking at either the basic Pentax 18-50 and 55-200 combo or the Sigma Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 Macro Compact HyperZoom SLD-Glass AF and 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC two lens kit. These two zoom lenses have a smaller aperture (f4 vs, f3.5) than the all in one Pentax....will this matter that often in the manner I'm looking use the camera?

That's it. Any advise would be welcome. I appreciate any and all comments. This is a great site and forum. Thanks to all those who contribute!

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Do batteries figure in your decision?

The K10D has a special battery and if that runs out, unless you have another that's charged that's the end of taking pictures until you recharge it.

The K100D uses AA batteries. The bonus is you can get AA alkalines anywhere and charge AA NiMh in your car or pretty much anywhere else. Heck, there are even solar-powered AA chargers. AAs can get a bit tedious to use though as they don't last as long.

10mp vs 6mp....

If you're regularly printing more than 10x8 or 11x8.5 with major cropping then 10mp will be better. Otherwise 6mp is pretty darned good.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I had forgotten about the battery on the K10D. It's definitely something to consider. We really won't be cropping that much/that often either. Good point.

Too bad you missed the $100 rebates on either camera (if you are in the USA).

Assuming you will not be using a Pentax kit lens, I would go with the KHundredD for $609 no rebate from Beach if you can swing it. Your 18-250 lens, if you go that route, will cost about $475. The Pentax 50-200 is a nice and light telephoto for about $209. You can get a Sigma 18-50 constant f2.8 from Cameta Camera for $269. I would go that 2 lens route.

Battery info somewhat misleading. Pentax does not recomend using alkalines. So, you'd want a couple sets of rechargeble NiMHs if you go with the KHundredD. Many people prefer lithium as in the KTenD as they apparently have a longer shelf life between charges.

Oh yeah, the older KHundredD is only $369. Not sure if the 18-250 has SDM, but the lenses I mention would take advantage of the SDM focussing that is one of the few differences on the KHundredD. The other is arguable ineffective dust removal.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 02-06-2008 at 06:18 PM.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    Too bad you missed the $100 rebates on either camera (if you are in the USA).

Assuming you will not be using a Pentax kit lens, I would go with the KHundredD for $609 no rebate from Beach if you can swing it. Your 18-250 lens, if you go that route, will cost about $475. The Pentax 50-200 is a nice and light telephoto for about $209. You can get a Sigma 18-50 constant f2.8 from Cameta Camera for $269. I would go that 2 lens route.

Battery info somewhat misleading. Pentax does not recomend using alkalines. So, you'd want a couple sets of rechargeble NiMHs if you go with the KHundredD. Many people prefer lithium as in the KTenD as they apparently have a longer shelf life between charges.

Oh yeah, the older KHundredD is only $369. Not sure if the 18-250 has SDM, but the lenses I mention would take advantage of the SDM focussing that is one of the few differences on the KHundredD. The other is arguable ineffective dust removal.
    This is misleading. The K10D can only take the manufacturer's own lithium battery. It cannot take AA NiMh or alkaline batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    This is misleading. The K10D can only take the manufacturer's own lithium battery. It cannot take AA NiMh or alkaline batteries.
    It's pretty straightforward I thought, espicially since you itemized it in your earlier post :-)

Me:
    rechargeble NiMHs --->if you go with the KHundredD<--------.
    Many people prefer lithium --->as in the KTenD<----
    Last edited by SpecialK; 02-06-2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Miller View Post
    These two zoom lenses have a smaller aperture (f4 vs, f3.5) than the all in one Pentax....will this matter that often in the manner I'm looking use the camera?
    This is actually a bigger aperture and a smaller f-stop. And this is only at the wide end of the lens. At the telephoto end the max aperture will be different as they are all variable aperture lenses. Will it matter? For some shots it will and for some shots it won't. For indoor sports you're going to want f/2.8 minimum. For portraits, f/2.8 is nice but not always necessary and a focal length between 50mm and 85mm works well. For landscapes generally you stop down to f/16 or f/22, so the slower max apertures won't affect you there. For indoor shots you might consider getting an external flash. Pop up flashes don't usually produce very desirable results. The 18-250 works well to minimize the lenses I need to carry and to minimize lens changes but I don't really consider it a "do it all" lens. In addition to focal lengths, apertures are also important. I have a 50mm f/1.4 lens ($155 during rebate period) that works well for portraits and shallow depth of field shots.

Pentax also announced the replacements for both of the cameras you're looking at recently. I'm not sure when they come out but they might be worth a look.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Thanks again

Thanks again everyone. I just purchased the K100D Super and a Sigma lens package: 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 Macro Compact HyperZoom AF and 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC.

I would have liked to go for one of the other lenses recommended by TheWengler, but in the end I'm limited on funds and stretched as far as I could go. I was able to get the camera, lenses, decent carrying case, high speed card, batteries/charger and a few lens filters for just over $900 at Abes.

The K200D looks like it'll be priced at $799...too much for me and too long of a wait.
    We're adopting a child from Guatemala and I needed to move fast in order to get in a few days of practice before we leave.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some positive photos/results.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Michael Miller; 02-06-2008 at 07:50 PM.