Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question about a wide angle + Zoom lens for Canon 40D...

After a long research I have decided what camera and what single walk around lens to get:
    Canon 40D + Canon 17-55 f2,8 IS USM.
    I will not buy any more lenses just now, Im planning to get to know the camera (previously I had a Panasonic FZ20) and then buy more lenses. Im fairly sure that the EFS 10-22 would be a good choice for wide angle covereage on a x1.6 body. Can You guys suggest a zoom lens that would be good as an addition to those 2 lenses ?
    Im not a professional, obviously Im not planning to spend $10K on some high end lens but I want some advise on what would be a good wrap up for the 10-22 / 17-55.

If you're just starting out, you may want to save some money and consider the Canon kit lenses - 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS (think that's it). You can also then go with the Canon 10-22 for wide stuff. Alternatively, I would suggest the 70-300 F4-5.6 IS for your zoom.
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Ive made up my mind as to the 17-55, spent too much time researching to change it now plus realy, I've taken too many underexposed, unsharp and grainy photos with the Panny, had enough.
    I take most of my photos in poor lihting so the combination of 40D's high ISO + f2,8 with IS seems perfect for me. I want a bright lens, period.
    I think Im making a good choice here and money is not such an issue for me.
    Im just a little lost in the zoooms area, didnt reasearch that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by koti View Post
    Ive made up my mind as to the 17-55, spent too much time researching to change it now plus realy, I've taken too many underexposed, unsharp and grainy photos with the Panny, had enough.
    I take most of my photos in poor lihting so the combination of 40D's high ISO + f2,8 with IS seems perfect for me. I want a bright lens, period.
    I think Im making a good choice here and money is not such an issue for me.
    Im just a little lost in the zoooms area, didnt reasearch that at all.
    Hmmm, I shot with an FZ20 before going to Canon DSLR and never had grainy, underexposed, unsharp pics with it. In fact, some of my favorite pics were taken with that camera.

I agree the 17-55 2.8 IS is a very nice lens. But it's not a guarantee of better pics. And you can buy 5 kit lenses for the price of one 17-55 IS. If you're set on that lens, great. Then I would repeat my tele-zoom suggestion of 70-300 F4-5.6 IS. Does that help?
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

The EF-S 17-55mm isn't any brighter than the lens on the FZ20. Both are f/2.8. You don't even gain IS because the Panasonic also has that. Cleaner high ISO, sure, but underexposed photos are the user's fault. Much graininess comes from that.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 02-02-2008 at 08:04 AM.
    Ouch.

My underexposed photos came from using low ISO in low light on the FZ20 - anything above ISO 200 was completely unusable for me.
    Grainyness came from using high ISO so its like a vicious cirlce
    Im not a pro like You guys but I do know that I want...the 40D + 17-55, why dont You guys just let me have it, lol

Thanks for the tip on the 70-300 F4-5.6 IS, I'll look into it.

I love to take photos at night, in clubs, generaly in low light conditions. The FZ20 was a great camera thats why I stood with it for over 3 years but with its frustrating ISO even the great f2,8 lens and IS wouldnt help - those of You who used it probably know what Im talking about.
    Thanks for the tips

The 17-55 is a fine lens but it's kind of high end for someone who's brand new to DSLR's. There's a chance you might change your mind as to what you really need and be out $900. That's why people don't usually start with the top of the line. If you're shooting in clubs then maybe f/2.8 would end up being too slow for you then you'd need a faster prime. For low light large depth of field shots you'd need a flash. For landscapes in low light you'd need a tripod.

Also all the lenses you mentioned are zoom lenses. Zoom refers to the ability to change focal lengths. Something with more reach is called a telephoto lens. What do you need this lens for? What kind of lighting will you be using it in? Do you want it to have IS? There are a few to choose from.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    The 17-55 is a fine lens but it's kind of high end for someone who's brand new to DSLR's. There's a chance you might change your mind as to what you really need and be out $900. That's why people don't usually start with the top of the line. If you're shooting in clubs then maybe f/2.8 would end up being too slow for you then you'd need a faster prime. For low light large depth of field shots you'd need a flash. For landscapes in low light you'd need a tripod.

Also all the lenses you mentioned are zoom lenses. Zoom refers to the ability to change focal lengths. Something with more reach is called a telephoto lens. What do you need this lens for? What kind of lighting will you be using it in? Do you want it to have IS? There are a few to choose from.
    I will be thinking about buying a prime some time in the future for sure...50mm 1.4 or something similar. I do not see the point in getting the 18-55 or the 17-85 because the are both slow (3.5-5.6 / 4.5-5.6) I realize that Im getting gear which I will not be able to fully utilize right from the start - thats actualy why Im getting it. I want to learn, I want to take trips to places and spend time shooting and I want to have a good camera for that, otherwise I might as well buy the new Lumix and point & shoot like I did for years and realy, REALY I do not want that. I will need the zoom mainly for good light conditions so IS is not a must but its nice to have, I think anyone would agree.
    I travel a lot...the zoom will be mostly used for sunny day shooting in the country - birds & animals.
    I've been a dj for 12 years, now its more of a hobby, I do still go around clubs though and I spend lots of time in places with bad light...hense I prolly will need a prime.
    I give trainings on plotters & laser printers (not Canon though) - I have access to quality large format printers so I want my photos to be finaly SHARP (read 17-55)
    Im actualy in Kenya for a week right now, I sold my Panny and Im left with a "camera" in my Nokia E50 and Im realy frustrated so please excuse if Im a bit grouchy here.

Just a suggestion... how about a kit lens (18-55mm IS), Sigma 30mm 1.4 and a flash like the 430 EX or the 580 ex?
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    Just a suggestion... how about a kit lens (18-55mm IS), Sigma 30mm 1.4 and a flash like the 430 EX or the 580 ex?
    The flash and a fast prime will be on my list in the near future for sure.
    Can You tell me any reason I should not get the 17-55 besides me being a lamer and not deserving it ? Thats what Im reading in between the lines from You guys

Edit :
    The Sigma 50mm f1.4 is known for its focusing problems...lots of people say to stay away. Is it working ok for You ?
    Last edited by koti; 02-02-2008 at 01:55 PM.