Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Question about a wide angle + Zoom lens for Canon 40D...

After a long research I have decided what camera and what single walk around lens to get:
    Canon 40D + Canon 17-55 f2,8 IS USM.
    I will not buy any more lenses just now, Im planning to get to know the camera (previously I had a Panasonic FZ20) and then buy more lenses. Im fairly sure that the EFS 10-22 would be a good choice for wide angle covereage on a x1.6 body. Can You guys suggest a zoom lens that would be good as an addition to those 2 lenses ?
    Im not a professional, obviously Im not planning to spend $10K on some high end lens but I want some advise on what would be a good wrap up for the 10-22 / 17-55.

If you're just starting out, you may want to save some money and consider the Canon kit lenses - 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS (think that's it). You can also then go with the Canon 10-22 for wide stuff. Alternatively, I would suggest the 70-300 F4-5.6 IS for your zoom.
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Ive made up my mind as to the 17-55, spent too much time researching to change it now plus realy, I've taken too many underexposed, unsharp and grainy photos with the Panny, had enough.
    I take most of my photos in poor lihting so the combination of 40D's high ISO + f2,8 with IS seems perfect for me. I want a bright lens, period.
    I think Im making a good choice here and money is not such an issue for me.
    Im just a little lost in the zoooms area, didnt reasearch that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by koti View Post
    Ive made up my mind as to the 17-55, spent too much time researching to change it now plus realy, I've taken too many underexposed, unsharp and grainy photos with the Panny, had enough.
    I take most of my photos in poor lihting so the combination of 40D's high ISO + f2,8 with IS seems perfect for me. I want a bright lens, period.
    I think Im making a good choice here and money is not such an issue for me.
    Im just a little lost in the zoooms area, didnt reasearch that at all.
    Hmmm, I shot with an FZ20 before going to Canon DSLR and never had grainy, underexposed, unsharp pics with it. In fact, some of my favorite pics were taken with that camera.

I agree the 17-55 2.8 IS is a very nice lens. But it's not a guarantee of better pics. And you can buy 5 kit lenses for the price of one 17-55 IS. If you're set on that lens, great. Then I would repeat my tele-zoom suggestion of 70-300 F4-5.6 IS. Does that help?
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

The EF-S 17-55mm isn't any brighter than the lens on the FZ20. Both are f/2.8. You don't even gain IS because the Panasonic also has that. Cleaner high ISO, sure, but underexposed photos are the user's fault. Much graininess comes from that.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 02-02-2008 at 08:04 AM.
    Ouch.

My underexposed photos came from using low ISO in low light on the FZ20 - anything above ISO 200 was completely unusable for me.
    Grainyness came from using high ISO so its like a vicious cirlce
    Im not a pro like You guys but I do know that I want...the 40D + 17-55, why dont You guys just let me have it, lol

Thanks for the tip on the 70-300 F4-5.6 IS, I'll look into it.

I love to take photos at night, in clubs, generaly in low light conditions. The FZ20 was a great camera thats why I stood with it for over 3 years but with its frustrating ISO even the great f2,8 lens and IS wouldnt help - those of You who used it probably know what Im talking about.
    Thanks for the tips