Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Memory Cards vs. Photo banks

Which are better in what areas for what reasons?
    Would it be more cost-efficient to buy a $100 80gb Smartdisk photobank than another 4gb card for the same price? I would think so, but this seems to easy to get way more memory for the same price, so is there something I'm missing?
    Because Words Can't Describe It.

Flickr

Gear:
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi 400D | Canon EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 II USM | Canon EF 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II |
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Quantaray 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | BG-E3 Battery Grip | 430EX | Tripod

Nikon N4004s | 70-210mm
    Chinon CE-4 | 50mm
    Pentax K1000

Hard drives are cheaper but memory cards don't have moving parts that can stop moving.
    Ouch.

You can also buy 4G SD cards for $30 and 8G cards for $55, so your pricing is off a bit. Memory cards are tiny, require no power, and rarely fail in any way. If you can get by with memory cards it's much simpler. If you are traveling for an extended time and need more memory, that's when the disk based systems are worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    You can also buy 4G SD cards for $30 and 8G cards for $55, so your pricing is off a bit. Memory cards are tiny, require no power, and rarely fail in any way. If you can get by with memory cards it's much simpler. If you are traveling for an extended time and need more memory, that's when the disk based systems are worthwhile.
    Well I was talking about fairly fast CF cards though...

I'm thinking for my trip to europe I might be bringing just my 2gb and an 80gb harddrive.

But my most important question is:

Can I use the USB cord that came with my XTi to put photos directly onto the portable harddrive without having to bring my laptop along?

Flickr

Gear:
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi 400D | Canon EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 II USM | Canon EF 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II |
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Quantaray 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | BG-E3 Battery Grip | 430EX | Tripod

Nikon N4004s | 70-210mm
    Chinon CE-4 | 50mm
    Pentax K1000

Quote Originally Posted by cdr116 View Post

I'm thinking for my trip to europe I might be bringing just my 2gb and an 80gb harddrive.

But my most important question is:

Can I use the USB cord that came with my XTi to put photos directly onto the portable harddrive without having to bring my laptop along?
    Just a normal external HD won't do the trick, but there are devices out there. For example, I use a Digimate 120GB card reader storage device. Works great for off loading your files and then just dumping them onto your computer when you get home. I do a lot of travelling and that's the way I do it. There are other brands out there but that's the one I use. The good thing is it reads all different memory cards so my mates stuck there files on it too.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr116 View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208340

I have no idea why this is cheaper then most other CF 133x cards but I mainly use Transcend SD cards and they've been bombproof.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    You can get 4GB cards for $15 or 32GB for $150. Why bother with portable hard drives at that price?

Well I'm liking the idea of a card reading storage device that I can dump my photos on and then bring them home and put them on my computer.

Sounds like the best idea for what I need it for. Thanks guys

Flickr

Gear:

Nikon N4004s | 70-210mm
    Chinon CE-4 | 50mm
    Pentax K1000

Those portable card reader hard drive combos are convenient, but those hard-rives are significantly less reliable than flash memory. I have a CF card that still works after a trip through the washing machine.

I think people often misrepresent the reliability of traditional hard drives. Compared to other computer components magnetic hard drives are the weakest link. With enough use all hard drives will eventually die. The probability that a hard drive will fail prematurely is actually pretty small, but personally I would still prefer the safety of flash media.

My only other suggestion would be to avoid keeping all of your eggs in one basket.
    A prime is always a prime as long as its only divisors are 1 and itself.

Gear: Rebel XTI + Opteka Battery Grip | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 + Chinese Lense Hood | Canon 10-22 3.5-4.5 | 430EX | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | LaCrosse BC-900 Battery Charger | Digipower card reader with Mood Light
    Elan IIe + crap lenses

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I can drop a flash card and it will bounce. If I drop a hard drive, it's gone.