Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Smile used bodies

Since several people suggested used bodies I have a couple of questions.

In looking at used bodies it's seems most of the folks list comments like:

Less than 100 clicks, less than 5000, less than 10,000.

What is the rule of thumb for the cut off of how much a camera has been used?

How are they kept track of?

thxs

slkfis

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by slkfis View Post
    Since several people suggested used bodies I have a couple of questions.

In looking at used bodies it's seems most of the folks list comments like:

Less than 100 clicks, less than 5000, less than 10,000.

What is the rule of thumb for the cut off of how much a camera has been used?

How are they kept track of?

thxs

slkfis
    Used bodies are a whole bag of worms. You could get a good one or you could get a bad one. I'd go new myself. I've always been that way with electronic gear because all the secondhand electronics I've ever had have been secondhand because they'd been mistreated and haven't lasted very long. I operate by the rule of thumb that if it's electronic it must be new. Otherwise secondhand is just fine.

I'd go with either Nikon or Canon, just because they are the most popular. And personally, I would choose the 40D, but that's just my opinion since I'm such a canonite.

And I'm with Rhys on the used electronics stuff. I never buy used electronics for the same reason, I hardly even buy electronics that aren't big brand names....
    Because Words Can't Describe It.

Flickr

Gear:
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi 400D | Canon EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 II USM | Canon EF 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II |
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Quantaray 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | BG-E3 Battery Grip | 430EX | Tripod

Nikon N4004s | 70-210mm
    Chinon CE-4 | 50mm
    Pentax K1000

Red face New or whatever ... it's a dice roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Used bodies are a whole bag of worms. You could get a good one or you could get a bad one. I'd go new myself. I've always been that way with electronic gear because all the secondhand electronics I've ever had have been secondhand because they'd been mistreated and haven't lasted very long. I operate by the rule of thumb that if it's electronic it must be new. Otherwise secondhand is just fine.
    Rhys,

I cannot buy into that (pun intended). I happen to know a very happy young man who bought second-hand and probably can't be more delighted with his purchase. It all depends on how you treat your gear.

I bought a second-hand lens ... and it was simply ruined, inside. It had to be completely gutted and rebuilt using new materials. It was "used" ... and destroyed. You would think something like that would show some outward distress of being wrecked ... NOT A MARK, I swear. It looked like new!

I then had the opportunity to buy a new 2x adapter ... again, it looked new on the outside ... but inside ... totally required work and cleaning. Flood damage, I suspect. Cost me almost as much to get it in shape as it did to buy it. It was a rare find, so I popped for it.

Best thing is "Buyer Beware" and know who you are dealing with. Some people are just scoundrels, sleazoids and not worth the crap it would take to bury them. Others ... have integrity. They are people just won't screw over anyone. I do believe the World could use a few more of those types, these days. We've got plenty enough of the others. People who clap each other on the back, after they've robbed someone of their hard-earned money or stolen them blind. There's really only one label for these types ... "SLIME." You know who I speak of ... the ones who laugh and say, "The guy got what he deserved ... for being so trusting."

It's going be really funny, too, when someone finally stops all the laughing when Mr. Trusting busts a cap into that SLIME's rearend.

The golden rule applies: Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.

Admittedly, I bought a Canon EOS-3 that had its metering circuit blown out. I didn't realize it, because for weeks I was using only pre-set MANUAL settings from my light meter and that was great. At that time, all those images turned out. Unfortunately, anything that used AUTO Mode or one of the other metering modes ... the camera wigged out and was five f/stops out of whack ... to the dark side. Honestly, it's a real surprise using ISO-1600 film and get ... dark images, when you meter said they were right on. Well, $200 later ... a new meter circuit. The camera itself, basically brand new ... so, oh well. It still works great, after the repair.

Everything's a chance .. even a brand new lens, sealed and fresh out of the box or a new, recently-released 10.2 MP digital camera body. You just never know. At least if someone has owned it, it has a history and probably works. I've sold most of my Canon-stuff ... and no one has complained, yet. Respectability ... and again, just caring for your equipment. If I screw it up ... I don't sell it ... I get it fixed or replaced. Hell, I've got working computers from 1982 and all my Minoltas (1985) still operate just fine. Too bad I can't get what I paid for them, but what the heck ... if the electric dies ... and I've some film and a pair of AA's ... I'm still taking images and back to printing with chemicals, in the dark room. Same lenses ... now, as then. How cool is that?

Just one other note about older stuff. Plastics really do dry out after about ten years. They become brittle and just snap with little effort. Metal parts are always better. Hard to find in this day and age. Keep it in mind, when you are looking for long term usage in anything.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-07-2008 at 07:34 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

brand new if its screwed you have the ability to return it and have it fixed for nothing. you cant do that with used gear.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I have bought used gear in the past (and so far have had no problems with it). But it was always used gear that came with new gear warranties.
    Canon 60D with EF-S 17-55 IS USM lens kit etc.