Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Another quandry about dlsr's

Ok, I am finally making the jump to a dlsr. I have shot an OM-2 for (Gasp) over 21 years) but have been using an Oympus point and shoot camera until it died last month. I am looking at a Canon 40D, Nikon d300 Oympus E-3, and the Sony a700.

What thoughts do you all have regarding in-body vs in lens image stabilization? I like the idea of the in-body stabilization units since all lenses are stabilized, not just the ones that cost more.

Thanks for any input.

That's a pretty good list. Have you looked into the new Pentax K20D?

As for the in-body vs in-lens IS debate, I will leave it up to the experts on here ... LOL! There will be a lot of opinions on it

FlipMarc
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have not heard much about the Pentax model. I might as well add to the list.

If you like the idea of having image stabilization on every lens you mount on the camera, then I recommend the Sony out of your list above.

If live view is a feature you need, the A700 does not offer it. I would go with the Olympus then.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor 12-24/4 | Nikkor 50/1.8 | Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VRI | Sigma 18-50/2.8 | SB-800 | SB-80DX (x4) | Radiopopper JrX Studio |

The E3 is reported to have some problems with the AF. I would wait to see if they can work them out. It could just be a lens problem or firmware, but if you have to buy the higher end lenses you may as well spend the same money for in lens IS/VR.

Lightbulb Why not consider this?

The new SONY α350 will be out, in March, which has "Live View", 14.2 MP of sensor, and in-the-body stability to boot. I hear that is will be $899 w/lens.

SONY α350
    Name:  DSLRA350K.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  14.6 KB
    Name:  DSLRA350_2.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  15.3 KB

It should be quite a camera, by the looks of it ... but if you want all the bells and whistles ... the α700 is the one. Speed, ergonomics, attachments .... it has all the stuff, short of "Live View" which, in my opinion, is a product of the P&S bunch and a real on-the-fringe attraction for most people (meaning, it didn't make much difference a year ago ... what changed?).
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-31-2008 at 11:13 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I was about to post about the new Sony Don