Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

leslier Guest

Need Camera for Cheerleading Compeitions

I would like to purchase a camera for cheerleading compeitions and I do not know what I need.

Can you please help me out??

I would like to stay within a reasonable price range please.

Thanks!
    Leslie

How far away from the action will you be?

Are the competitions indoors or outside?

What is "reasonable" to you?

Quote Originally Posted by leslier View Post
    I would like to purchase a camera for cheerleading compeitions and I do not know what I need.

Can you please help me out??

I would like to stay within a reasonable price range please.

Thanks!
    Leslie
    Since I think you will disappointed with the performance of a point and shoot cameras ability to offer you fast, action stopping shutter speeds,I think your best bet would be a DSLR. Not sure about you actual budget..we need more information on that.
    Doug
    Pentax K200D,Pentax 18-250,Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro
    Kodak Z915
    http://picasaweb.google.com/pas49ras

Cool

Now cheerleading is not a requirement we see often! Just rambling here, but I think I would want a swivel LCD (for fun angle shots) and an auxilary flash capability (for extra coverage). Also expect you can cross off a superzoom (unless you are stuck way up in the bleachers).

Anyhoo, if your "reasonable" budget does not cover a DSLR, then here are links to some point-and-shoot threads for ideas -

Narrowed down to four choices. Need some input.

Looking to buy my first digital camera...

Kelly Cook

Quote Originally Posted by KCook View Post
    Now cheerleading is not a requirement we see often! Just rambling here, but I think I would want a swivel LCD (for fun angle shots) and an auxilary flash capability (for extra coverage). Also expect you can cross off a superzoom (unless you are stuck way up in the bleachers).
    Cheerleading competitions are not like sideline cheerleading at games. An ultrazoom is probably needed, and it's unlikely that you'll be able to be close enough to the action that a swivel LCD will be of much benefit.

My thoughts

First, I feel the need to repeat the question "What is reasonable cost?"

I would think a camera capable of taking at least three frames per second would be a good idea - 5 fps would be even better in order to capture the best image of a fast-paced routine.

I also think megapixels is a concern: The action might be fast paced enough that careful framing is not really possible. In this case, having extra pixels will allow you to crop the image to provide the best framing.

One more thought: If lighting is less than plentiful, good high ISO performance will become important.

The camera that will meet the criteria outlined above is an SLR. Whether or not an SLR (and lens(es)) can be had for a reasonable cost is a question only the OP can answer.

Have a good day.
    Respectfully,

Mike Sneddon
    Mattoon, IL USA

Canon SD1000, S3, 20D & 5D; Panasonic LX2. Canon lenses: 50mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 IS Also have two film cameras: Canon Elan 7E and a Yashica TL Super (which I purchased in Vietnam in 1969 for $106).

One more thought

I failed to mention one more thing: I would recommend that the camera used to photograph cheer leading exhibitions have a hot shoe. I would think that any flash integral to the camera will not have the requisite "oomph". Yeah, I know, now I am trying to fit a strobe into "reasonable cost".
    Respectfully,

Mike Sneddon
    Mattoon, IL USA

Canon SD1000, S3, 20D & 5D; Panasonic LX2. Canon lenses: 50mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 IS Also have two film cameras: Canon Elan 7E and a Yashica TL Super (which I purchased in Vietnam in 1969 for $106).