Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon XTi or the Olympus Evolt 510

I swear I thought I had my mind made up about getting the Canon till I saw the E510. Anyway, I like the XTi, but the E510 has a few features that I really want. I know the Canon XSi is coming out soon, but I don't really want to wait. Any experiences with these two cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephie Baby View Post
    I swear I thought I had my mind made up about getting the Canon till I saw the E510. Anyway, I like the XTi, but the E510 has a few features that I really want. I know the Canon XSi is coming out soon, but I don't really want to wait. Any experiences with these two cameras?
    What do you like most about the E-510? You probably won't find too many Olympus fans around here.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    What do you like most about the E-510? You probably won't find too many Olympus fans around here.
    I really like the live view. I like the Canon XSi because it has that feature, but 1) I don't want to wait till it gets released and 2) I've decided to start at $800, mainly because I'm going to have to purchase other things for the camera as well. Plus it comes with the 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephie Baby View Post
    Plus it comes with the 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses.
    Keep in mind, the E510 is a 2x crop body (instead of a 1.6 like the XTi). So double your focal lengths. Whether that is good or bad is up to you. And also, have you ever used an SLR? Very few people prefer looking at a relatively low resolution screen once they're used to seeing what they REALLY are looking at through an optical viewfinder. The only use I see in "live view" is if you're shooting macro and want to double check your focus.

Quote Originally Posted by griptape View Post
    Very few people prefer looking at a relatively low resolution screen once they're used to seeing what they REALLY are looking at through an optical viewfinder. The only use I see in "live view" is if you're shooting macro and want to double check your focus.
    Well, I'm one of those very few

The live view is what ultimately sold me on the E-510. My primary use is product photography and I prefer to "see" the image before shooting.

I also find it awkward to use the view finder while wearing glasses.

But, having said that. I discovered I can adjust the diopter so I don't need my glasses It's all the way to the plus side, one more click would make the view perfectly clear, sigh..

For me, right now, the live view is still a plus.

Cheers, Don.
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    ZD 50 ~ 7-14 ~ 14-35 ~ 14-54 ~ 12-60 ~ 35-100 ~ 50-200 ~ EC 20
    Velbon tripod/ball head
    Slik tripod/Jobu Jr 2 Gimbal

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    Well, I'm one of those very few

The live view is what ultimately sold me on the E-510. My primary use is product photography and I prefer to "see" the image before shooting.

I also find it awkward to use the view finder while wearing glasses.

But, having said that. I discovered I can adjust the diopter so I don't need my glasses It's all the way to the plus side, one more click would make the view perfectly clear, sigh..

For me, right now, the live view is still a plus.

Cheers, Don.
    How effective is the live view on the E-510 though? I thought it was pretty slow and really only for use with a tripod...
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Ok besides the E510 having live view, which camera body is better for a beginner? Like many have told me, its not the camerea body that makes the picture great. Its the lens. I know the E510 kit lens has IS but is the lens still better than the XTi lens kit? I don't think I'm going to wait for the XSi because it doesn't have anything drastically different from the XTi.

Exclamation If you are patient ...

If you wait about a week, SONY may be releasing a "Live View" DSLR which could save you a ton of money in starter lenses and eliminate the need to have to deal with the limited 4/3rds lensing altogether.

Look for the α300, it may be announced on Thursday.

Name:  Sony_A300_DSLR-thumb-480x473.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  32.9 KB

If not ... Olympus will STILL be there.

Whew, that was close!

It's your call ... a little patience is the name of this game.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-28-2008 at 12:29 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    How effective is the live view on the E-510 though? I thought it was pretty slow and really only for use with a tripod...
    By slow do you mean shutter lag? It does take a second or so to auto focus before taking the picture and the screen blanks while this is happening.

You can set it to focus by pushing the release button half way and then all the way when you want to take the picture.

I am by no means an expert with this camera but the lag can be worked around.

Cheers, Don.
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    ZD 50 ~ 7-14 ~ 14-35 ~ 14-54 ~ 12-60 ~ 35-100 ~ 50-200 ~ EC 20
    Velbon tripod/ball head
    Slik tripod/Jobu Jr 2 Gimbal

From another "of the few" E-510 owners.

Stephie-
    Don't put Live View as high on the importance list as weight, ergonomics and user interface. This feature is best for tri-pod, panorama and macro use of scenes you have the luxury of time to compose the shot, not action type shots where the focus/flip lag time will cause missed shots.
    If you could, try to take a test drive of each model before you decide and see your preferred features in action.
    Granted, the 28-300mm good quality lense coverage is great for the $, but if you don't like the feel of it in your hands, can't stand the button placement or the menu system, then the rest is moot.
    Steve
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Fujifilm Finepix F30
    Olympus E-510
    14-42 f3.5-5.6, 40-150 f4-5.6, Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6 APO DG