Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Canon SD850 IS taking blurry images

I just got this camera about a month ago and it seems to work fine except when I take pictures indoors. The images become blurry with the slightest shake. My hands naturally shake so it's the reason why I went for IS. My IS setting is on as continous. I know for my indoor shots, I don't need to use flash. But when I don't use it, I see the red camera shaking icon on the bottom left. So everytime I take a picture without flash, I get a blurry image. I read that the cause of the red icon is that my iso setting is low and/or I don't have flash on. Even with the auto iso setting and flash off, I still get blurry images. I don't like how the auto setting makes the ISO to about 200 which produces noise in my pictures. Even during the daytime, the ISO used is 200. I could be wrong on this issue. But I would like someone to at least tell me what I'm doing wrong in using this camera. I would like to take a lot of indoor shots without having to use flash. Does compact fluorescent lights provide inadequate lighting? I have those in every room in the house.

Btw, I used to own the A570IS. It takes indoor pictures fine without flash and it isn't blurry. I do see the red shaking icon as well. My iso setting on this camera was auto.

I'm concerned because I need to use my camera for class, since I need to take a lot of indoor pictures of anatomy and physiology models. And I need to take pictures of microscope slides, I can't afford to have blurry pictures.

The red icon says the camera needs flash.,you dn't let the flash work and hence get blurry pictures...the problem here is low light and slow shutter speed..the remedy is flash/a table top tripod/self timer in a solid surface..okay pls post some of ur blurry ones here and let others help you.
    Nikon D40,
    Nikon TC 200
    Vivitar 28-80 AIS
    Nikon Micro 55mm AI 1977,
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E AIS 1979,
    Nikon 300mm f/4 ED IF AIS 1982.....

Turn the camera into Manual mode, set the ISO yourself, and then use the flash when needed. Tiny cameras with tiny optics tend to need more light to take pictures - it's the trade-off you make for most ultracompacts.

If this is really a problem and you can't use a flash, look at the Fuji F-40. But even with that camera, learning to set the ISO and White Balance will produce better pictures.

With my SD850 I usually need to us ISO 400 and a flash to get a good picture. In smaller rooms I can use ISO 100 or 200. I have taken good photos indoors with available light. For this the shutter speed is very slow. If can not hold the camera very still, use a tripod.
    Panasonic FZ20, Kodak DC4800, Canon SD850 for when I don't want to carry a camera
    http://JLVACCARO.4T.COM

Here's an example of what I was talking about. I was thinking if the problem is with the lighting in my room. I wanted to know if CFLs are the cause of this. The lighting compared to the my room and the lab room at school are different. My room looks bright but when I used the camera, it doesn't.

SD850 IS with flash, ISO 200

SD850 IS without flash, ISO 200

Here are examples of the pictures I have to take at school. I was using my A570 IS at the time, but I don't have it with me anymore. A tripod is out of the question. The last picture is a microscope picture so I have to put the lens where the eyepiece is at in order to take it and it isn't easy to do so. I will have my lab class on thursday, so I'll let you guys know how that went.

Last edited by nsxviper; 01-22-2008 at 09:23 PM.

I tried to get the exif info from the photo taken in your room without a flash. Unfortunately, it was unavailable. Just from looking at it, I think it was taken at slow shutter speed, less than 1/20 of a second. Maybe you can check the exif and see what the shutter speed was.
    Panasonic FZ20, Kodak DC4800, Canon SD850 for when I don't want to carry a camera
    http://JLVACCARO.4T.COM