Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skiing Photos

Skiing Photos

Hi Guys,
    Wondering if anyone has any experience in shooting on the slopes.
    I've been invited by my mate, to visit his sister and brother in law, who now live around Chaminox (Southern French Alps).

Im hoping to take plenty of shots of the scenery as well as skiing.

Is there anything I should aquire before I go, filters etc??

Cheers

Dom
    Nikon D40 + 18mm-55mm Kit Lens
    ML-L3 Remote
    SB-600 Flash
    Velbon CX-640 Tripod
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF-D
    Slingshot Pro 200AW

http://www.flickr.com/photos/domnicosia/

Haven't really taken any skiing photos and not sure if any filters etc will work. One thing to make sure when shooting snow tho is to have the right white balance, snow often wants to turn a bit blueish. You can also shoot RAW and do the WB in PP later.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/14807929@N05/

D40+Sigma 17-70-2.8-4.5 DC MACRO

I second the idea of shooting in RAW. I haven't done many snow shots, but I know they can be tricky. Along with the white balance, the exposure may also be easily "thrown off" because the snow is such a light color. The camera tries to create a mid-tone out of all that white, which can result in very underexposed pics (gray snow.)

I'd suggest you check the LCD often, and look at the histogram and/or blinking highlights features of your display. Try to keep the histogram pretty much to the right, without a lot of stacking up on the very right edge -- or, if you're looking at the highlights blinker, just make sure only a small portion of the image is blinking (10% or less, and nothing that is important in the shot.)

Both of those displays are telling you the same information -- what portions of the image are "blown out," or so white that no detail is retained.

When it comes to filters, you probably don't need any. If you do want to get some, I'd suggest a neutral density filter, to use during very bright light if you want to get some motion effect in the skiers. You could also get a circular polarizer to help bring out blue skies.

Good luck, and show us your shots when you return!!

P.S. Do you want a longer lens? I'd think it would come in handy for catching shots of skiers without being right in the middle of the slope. If budget is an issue, you might want to look at the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro (the one with the red ring around the front of the lens.) It's only $139 at B&H Photo, and performs quite well in bright light. In low light, though, forget about it ...
    Last edited by toriaj; 12-12-2007 at 03:50 PM.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

I'd definitely go with a polarizing filter. I also would work on getting a rig to carry your camera while skiing.

If you can swing it before you go, I'd recommend the Nikon 55-200 VR f4-5.6 zoom lens. It's image stabilized and very light (with really good picture quality even at 200mm). There is a little bit of light fall-off at f5.6, but overall it's a really good lens. I love mine.
    Sam

Nikon D80, D300s, Nikkormat EL, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 55-200mm f4-f5.6 VR AF-S Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D Nikkor, 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q pre-AI, Hanimex 35mm f2.8 doorstop

www.flickr.com/photos/swpars

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I im planning to get the 55-200mm VR this week. Does anyone know if this and the 18-55mm kit lens take the same diameter filter??

What sort of rig are you suggesting for carrying, any examples?

A circular polariser seems to be a must in this type of shot?

Cheers

Dom
    ML-L3 Remote
    SB-600 Flash
    Velbon CX-640 Tripod
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF-D
    Slingshot Pro 200AW

same filter size. but doesn;t the kit lens have a rotating front element ? i can;t remember. if so you can;t use a CPL on that lens. not sure what your budget is like. but a wide angle like the sigma 10-20mm is brilliant for scenery shots. you may even be able to rent one from a local store if you can;t afford to buy.
    Last edited by Rooz; 12-13-2007 at 02:09 AM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by domenic View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I im planning to get the 55-200mm VR this week. Does anyone know if this and the 18-55mm kit lens take the same diameter filter??

What sort of rig are you suggesting for carrying, any examples?

A circular polariser seems to be a must in this type of shot?

Cheers

Dom
    I second the advice that U use a polariser in this situation which can also serve as protective filter on your lens against snow and moist (means 2in1 on purpose).

I also recommend checking this link and googling for grasping the idea how to shoot in a snow light lit areas. It looks this will be not an easy challenge:
    http://shutterbug.com/refreshercours...son/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    same filter size. but doesn;t the kit lens have a rotating front element ? i can;t remember. if so you can;t use a CPL on that lens. not sure what your budget is like. but a wide angle like the sigma 10-20mm is brilliant for scenery shots. you may even be able to rent one from a local store if you can;t afford to buy.
    The kit lens does have a rotating front element, but I still use my Hoya CPL on it. The CPL has markings corresponding to the "top" of the polarizer so I can adjust after the front element rotates as a result of AF. Not very convenient though.

The 55-200 VR does not have a rotating front element so the CPL works with no hassle.
    Sam

Nikon D80, D300s, Nikkormat EL, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 55-200mm f4-f5.6 VR AF-S Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D Nikkor, 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q pre-AI, Hanimex 35mm f2.8 doorstop

www.flickr.com/photos/swpars

Hi Guys,
    Just to et you know, i've purchased a 52mm polarising filter from ebay. Will also be making the purchase of a 55-200mm Nikkor Lens.

Cheers

Dom
    ML-L3 Remote
    SB-600 Flash
    Velbon CX-640 Tripod
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF-D
    Slingshot Pro 200AW