Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best scanner January 2008 ??

We have a Canon Lide 80 and a 4400F scanner and have been pleased with it s results which we use primarily to transfer our 35mm photos onto the notebooks.
    However a neighbor mentioned that a model of HP was far superior and so I thought that I would post here and ask experienced users,
    Thankyou
    BTW, xpsp2 and Canon printers Pixma ip 5000, ip 4500, ip 6700 and ES2.

There's always something better on the market. If you're happy with what you're using why pay for a new one. If your neighbour could qualify why the other HP one was better and those features appeal to you then that's another matter.

I've found you can get good results with even consumer level scanners although semi professional scanners offer better colour depth and can be quicker. I liken a scanner to a camera that sits on your desktop. That $200 mass market point and shoot will do a great job, is easy and is great value for money or you can spend thousands of dollars extra for incremental improvement and better flexibility like an SLR.

Apart from the optical qualities of the scanner I reckon the software is the most important factor. I've used a couple Canons where the scanner didn't automatically recognise the document and you had to manually set the marquee each scan, it was a pain in the A. Sure for a large quantity of scans I could have made a cardboard template so I always placed the prints in the same spot but I shouldn't have to. I love the software on new and older Epson models personally as it autorecognises the scan area correctly 99% of the time and is generally very user friendly.

When I bought my scanners I looked at what I was scanning (prints or slides), the quoted optical density, the quoted scan time and my Epson brand preferance. A good site to learn more about scanning is www.scantips.com

A last point don't believe the manufacturers stated specifications. Use them as a buying guide for sure but don't be disappointed if your nice new scanner is slower than you thought it'd be. There's a fair bit of sales fluff in those specification sheets.

I really appreciate your wealth of knowledge and heartily agree with you in the fact that there is always something better around the corner. Whether it is worth the spend is another matter.
    I guess what started me thinking more about this was the software "Easy Photo Print", which has started for some reason to be a pain.
    I am doing what I consider simple 4 x 6 prints and indicate "fit to page", but there has to be some setting there that I have incorrect as sometimes I end up with the pic in the middle of the 4 x 6 photo paper and I find that really frustrating.
    I know that Canon has a support line and so next week I will have to give them a phone call.

I don't know what the Default setting is and am not sure whether I have to make changes from Portrait to Landscape or vice versa each time I change types of photos that I am printing.
    I seem to have suddenly come across this problem and so I believe that I may have been occasionally printing either "Portrait or Landscape" pics off my notebook for sometime and did not realize it and so some settings may have simply fit my needs and now for whatever reason I am likely trying to print something that does not agree with the settings.

I even ensure that I drag the dotted lines to totally encompass the pic and yet it will still sometimes end up not fitting the full 4 x 6 photo paper and I simply give up after messing up several sheets.
    I am going to buy some cheap paper and practice a bit, noting whether the pic is Portrait or Landscape and my settings.

I don't do this often enough and then in a pinch, I am scrambling and never seem to be able to get it right and the better half is pressing to take a copy of a pic somewhere. And the inevitable occurs, a failed attempt.

BTW, I have even looked at Preview and everything seemed OK....but !!! (so that is why I was wondering about a scanner, but now that I think about it maybe it is the Printers "Easy Photo Print" ???? or maybe the Scanner settings ???

Whoah thats a bit different to what I had in mind. I'm not too good on printing at all and have never consciously used easy photo print. I know a bit about scanning however.

Printing and scanning are two different processes and I reckon you'll get best results if you treat them that way. You'll at least see where the problem lies.

Firstly that issue of the photo sits in the middle of paper surrounded by a sea of white is exactly what I described as the scanner not correctly recognising the scan area. Basically the scanner has decided your document takes up the whole scan bed so it "photographs" the whole scan bed not just the photo portion. You mention dragging the dotted lines that is what I meant by manually setting the marque and is the correct fix for this problem.

If you can take the time try this 2 step process:

Scan a 6x4 photo print, use a scan resolution setting of 300 dpi. This should create a jpg file around 1800*1200 pixels size. Check that the photo you want fills the whole image and that you don't have a small photo surrounded by the sea of white. Make sure the jpg is the right orientation. If the photo doesn't fill the image then scan it again manually selecting the scan area by dragging those dotted lines.

If the jpg looks good then print it just like you would any other jpg. If you print it at the same resolution you scanned it at (300 dpi) then it should come out the same size as the original.

It should work.

Thx for the prompt response, I will have to give this a go tomorrow. I guess my problem seems to lie with what software to print a pic with ??
    Everything I have is Canon.
    Easy Photo Print comes with the Printer and I think off the top of my "dull" head is "Arc Soft" with the Scanner??

I truly have to get the relationship of the Scanner and the Printer into focus in order to understand the nature of my problem.
    But I think that your suggestion is an excellent starting point for myself, who is an infrequent user of the Photo scanned pic and reproduction of it.
    So I keep a journal....that is why I was wondering if it could be b/c of Portrait?? or Landscape settings ???

I simply do this so infrequently and the better half can't understand that with all that we have spent that I can't do a simple task like copy a pic that was scanned !!!

BTW, without a doubt !!! Thankyou for the ongoing interest !!! with this Noob .. not really a noob, simply an infrequent and inept user of programs related to scanners and printers !!

What program do I print the pic in, the Arc Soft Photo that came with the scanner or the Easy Photo Print that came with the Printer??
    That is where my confusion lies.

I don't understand the purpose of the 2 photo printing programs, why the scanner has one and the printer has one as well, thankyou.

Keep in mind I'm more of a newbie with printing than you though so at this point my advice becomes worthless. I bought a Canon Pixma 4300 a few weeks back to print up some DVD's and I've never printed a photo on paper with it! The canons seem to be lovely printers, mine certainly does a lovely job of printing DVD's.

I suggest print using easy photo print which I think is the Canon program that came with the printer. Well I just started up my copy of Easy photo print for the 1st time. My first thought is it looks a lot like the programs in the photo printing kiosks. It's way different to the programs I'm used to with my old Epson antique printer and I can't really advise how to drive it.

Arcsoft seams to be a 3rd party printing and photo editing program that Canon have bundled with your equipment. It should be good too, I have never used it and don't have it. It might be the program they intend you to use for scanning but I could be wrong. It might be just a program they've bundled for you to be able to fix redeye and other things before printing.

Why do companies supply multiple programs that do the same thing when you buy equipment? They just do, on the plus side it's a great way to get cheap legal software that you otherwise would have to pay lots of money for. On the downside like you I'm often left wondering which program to use for the task at hand. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Thankyou, I must indeed say that it is members like you that make Forums quality exchange of information. I have encountered some that I actually have left b/c I was made out to be the "class fool"..if you understand what I mean.
    Basically I was heckled at and made to feel totally ignorant.

I appreciate your honesty and very upfront approach with your discussion of scanners. You are an asset to this Forum and very respected by a member such as me.
    I really had to say that. I really enjoyed reading your experience with Epson scanners and now your foray into the Canon world of scanners.
    I really think that you will enjoy your experience !!

My biggest problem is exactly as you stated, the software that comes with the scanner. I use it basically to copy docs, email, save copies of pics and docs...pretty mundane actually. I have to try your suggestion earlier and haven't had the opportunity yet.
    I have to look into Arc Soft and Photobase and see what their attributes are and whether they best describe my needs or not.
    All I will be doing with my pics whether it be my stored 35 mm copies or my digital is to finesse the contrast/brightness where necessary and crop possibly.The majority of my prints will be done in the digital lab at my local big box store who are decently priced however, just did a changeover in their equipment and the manager does not really like it. He said the other units were more true to colour and offerred greater user control on what could be done. However I am new to all of this and so what they have reproduced for me has been sufficient.

I have always used Easy Photo Print when doing prints of stored 35 mm pics and been happy, however it must be my settings. And again as mentioned I think I just got luck and did a portrait or landscape and that was the default setting and the pic filled the whole paper.
    Tomorrow I intend to go out and purchase practice photo paper....and not the normal canon photo pro that I have been using, too costly.

It would be great if the Scanner and Printers all canon would indicate to you which app is the most functional for the attributes that you need. I keep a journal of used apps and calls to canon beside me at all times and log fixes for issues etc.
    Canon is not the issue 9 times out of 10, it is the inept user here.
    I was interested in your comment on the copy of cd/dvd discs, I have yet to do that as the ones here in Northwest Canada have come out pricey and I was loathe to venture into mistakes until I get all of these issues that I am posting here sorted out.
    I like to do my own copies from my camcorder which is a Panasonic 300 ccd if my memory serves me correctly. I am thrilled with its repro, having started video as a hobby when vhs recording started with the overthe shoulder carrier of the video case with the vhs tape and carrying the camera separately, so I am a bit of an oldie in that arena.
    I even did my own editing on Sony Editors. Now it is a whole new ball game and I am not quite there yet !!!

I have to get the pics issue resolved first, then learn how to put music on the dvd created from my mini dv camcorder. And well before that I have to learn to Edit properly...but that will not be for sometime. I have so many hobbies on the go here and need to learn them well before I move on.
    What I like about Canon is their phone support which is good, however there does seem to be a Void between the trained techs re Scanners and Printers with neither one of them really knowing what program one should be using to the the required results that you want.
    I simply want a simply tool to brighten/contrast a pic and possibly crop just to stick the pic in the mail.

I believe that I will eventually get there and your suggestion once I get to it will assist in the culmination of this challenge. At least it will give me an idea of where to look to see where my Error lies.

I really appreciate talking to someone such as yourself and I think that is what Forums are truly about, helping one another by exchanging experiences with hardware/software.
    Your comments are terrific.

I will post back once I know a little more and hope to add info that will enlighten and maybe help other users as well.
    Again thankyou for your time and have a great day !!!
    BTW, is printable media expensive where you are , DVD???

i don't buy over the internet after a bad experience when I thought that I was getting a good deal.
    Cheers for now !!!
    T

Printable DVD's are cheap as in Australia. I usually buy them at Kmart which is probably called Wallmart in your part of the world. They are about $33 US for a 100 disks (single layer, single sided, 4.7GB, 16x write speed, either DVD+R or DVD-R, bought as a spindle without cases). Thats the "on special" price but even at normal retail they're around 50 cents a disk. You can also get a pack of 10 in cases for around $10 USD which is what I print on for customers. I like the Imation brand simply because their disks can be printed right up to the spindle which makes the photo's I print on them look heaps better.

I'm just learning about editing home movies. I read a great book on the topic last month. I can't remember the exact title but it was something like the PC Magazines guide to digital video. I learnt heaps from it.

I know what you mean about the forum. I'm trying to buy and learn to use a digital SLR and I'm busy learning from everyone else on the forum about that. I reckon it's got a great bunch of people on it.

It does have a great bunch of members here and no one pounces on you for lack of experience of knowledge unlike other forums.
    Here the printable dvds, which is what I need are hard to find for some reason as in Eastern Canada they seem to be more available but out west here they come in small packets and I haven't ventured there yet. Fuji and Sony make them here. I have not seen the spindles of Imation and they are costly.
    Something like over $30 for a pack of 10. I just want to try a small pack until I get the hang of doint it on my Canon 4300 or the Canon 6700. I hate wasting media, it hurts the pocket book. Both my burners the BenQ and Sony seem most reliable on everyones various hi end to the kids dvd players if I burn to DVD +R media.

Did it take much to figure out what you wanted on your DVD disc and then the ultimate process to get it there ?
    Did you do the print after the burn?

it is a comfort to find someone in the same boat as me. Computers are great, however there is a large learning curve once new sofware is purchased. I also am in the midst of installing Honestech "Vhs to Dvd" software that does analogue to digital, records to cds as well as cassettes to cds which is going to be another learning venture.
    I have a Hauppauge Wintv PVR2 on one of my other notebooks that has been great in transferring old collectible vhs tapes that I have in my library and I googled and found this new program with the hardware to go with it and bought 3 for my notebooks at $39 for my other notebooks on Boxing Day here at a sale. The regular cost is $89.
    So I am rather excited about getting onto that program.
    But there is too much to do and so little time it seems !!!
    Hope that you are having a great day !!!