Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Digital Cameras in extreme cold?

I am going to the Green Bay Packers/New York Giants game on Sunday and the temperature is expected to be around zero degrees fahrenheit. I have a Canon S5 that I was hoping to take to the game, but it occurred to me that such extreme temperatures might be bad for the camera. Looks like Canon says the operation temperature range is 32-104....

At what temperature does the liquid in LCDs freeze and what is the consequence?

Is there a particular battery (NiMH, NiCAD, Alkaline) that performs better at such low temperatures?

Is there anything else I need to be concerned with?

Thanks,

Mike

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by myquealer View Post
    I am going to the Green Bay Packers/New York Giants game on Sunday and the temperature is expected to be around zero degrees fahrenheit. I have a Canon S5 that I was hoping to take to the game, but it occurred to me that such extreme temperatures might be bad for the camera. Looks like Canon says the operation temperature range is 32-104....

At what temperature does the liquid in LCDs freeze and what is the consequence?

Is there a particular battery (NiMH, NiCAD, Alkaline) that performs better at such low temperatures?

Is there anything else I need to be concerned with?

Thanks,

Mike
    Lithium batteries are used in very cold weather. As for the LCD freezing - don't worry too much about that.

After googling some more I think it will be fine if I keep the camera inside my jacket and only take it out when I need it and have a spare set of batteries in my pocket. I might use a handwarmer to keep the spare batteries warm ready to go. And then seal teh camera in a ziploc bag before bringing it into a heated space (to minimize condensation).

I'll look into getting a set of lithium batteries.

Yup, bring a spare or two and keep them warm. Swap them when needed and you should be OK.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

I shoot in below zero temps with my S3 all the time, don't worry about it.

DO NOT keep your camera inside your jacket. Everytime you pull it out it will fog up and be useless. You may have to warm up the batteries from time to time; if they read low they may just be cold, not dead.

Remember - keep the camera cold and the batteries warm.

Believe it or not there is actually a benefit to a cold camera. One of the biggest problems for most camera sensors is heat buildup which leads to image noise. A cold sensor can generally take a cleaner picture at a longer exposure. Of course, that won't help much for sporting events.

If possible, I'd look into getting an external battery pack. You'd want to keep the batteries warm, but the rest of the camera should be fine out in the cold.
    Eugene Leafty
    Fujifilm S9000, Hoya 58mm uv/circular polarizer/warming filters, 8GB CF, 256 MB CF, topload bag, Dynatran AT-858B tripod base, Dynatran ATH-A04 tripod head, 2 sets NiMH batts w/2 chargers, 58mm +2 and +4 close up lens, 2x telephoto lens, rubber hood, Canon T244 external flash

It was 10 degrees in Joliet, IL. I took my Canon S3 out for an ecological conservation project. I was out for about 2.5 hours and the camera's perfectly fine, batteries and everything.

I just kept it in my front hoodie pocket keeping my hands on the cameras. Body heat, my friend.

Took some good pictures, too.

--edit--
    And I had NiMH batteries.
    Last edited by piedownjoe; 01-23-2008 at 05:16 PM.
    Soli Deo Gloria

Canon Powershot S3 IS, Panasonic Lumix LS70, Konica KD-200Z
    http://photo.surrendered.org/

Quote Originally Posted by myquealer View Post
    I am going to the Green Bay Packers/New York Giants game on Sunday and the temperature is expected to be around zero degrees fahrenheit. I have a Canon S5...
    So how was the game and your photos? Did you thaw out yet? I live in WI and think people who sit in the cold for a game are just nuts. But tell us how it went.

I took my S1 to the top of breckenridge peak 8 (12,998ft), and it was pretty cold. The camera worked fine, but i had to warm the NiMH batteries up in my hand. The only problem with cold weather i'd heard of is bringing a freezing camera in a warm room, and condensation collecting on it. I think a zip lock bag was the remedy to this problem.

And about the game, we'll see if Eli can succeed where Peyton failed.