Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Eh, Ess Are?

Good news...
    Quote Originally Posted by rx_morph View Post
    Yeah, I read about this in the review from Trustedreviews.com but it does seem to control the image noise well at all ISO settings at least.
    It's always interesting to hear positive feedback (from actual, everyday users) about issues like ASR as often reviewers (apologies Jeff!) don't get the chance to put features like ASR through their full paces due to time constraints, weather conditions, available subject material etc etc.

Samsung probably deserve a better wrap than they often get, as the brand is often (undeservedly) regarded as "also rans" in the digital camera world. In fact, they produce the 14MP CMOS sensors used by Pentax in their K20D, plus CCD sensors for a few other camera manufacturers.

Cheers

Sanyo Eneloops

Regarding the Sanyo Eneloops: Yes, I got them at a Walmart, but they're 2000mah, not 2700. Yet, their charge lasts much longer than my 2700s were giving me. Thomas Distributing online sells them cheap, even with S&H. I bought 4 batteries plus the recharger at WM for $20. Thomas Distributing sells 4 Eneloops (without recharger) for $7.97 plus S&H. I wanted the Sanyo recharger, even though it delivers a recharge over 6 or 7 hours, because fast rechargers reportedly lessen both the charge and the life of the batteries. Which Walmart stores carry them seems to be hit and miss affair, though I bet you could call the stores near to you investigate. Typing in your zip code on Walmart.com will indicate all the WM stores near you.

Regarding ASR: Although ASR is not true optical IS (located in the lens), contrary to what a number of reviews claim, it does not function simply by raising the ISO. On the S85 you can review each picture's data and with ASR shots I've never seen them register above ISO 300, sometimes just 200, with shutter speeds like 1/3 second. The wonder is that even at those slow shutters the ASR invariably produces sharp pictures in low light--with no more noise than a 200 or 300 ISO produces: very acceptable. It's just that the shutter-lag and processing time are protracted. In other words, there's something more going on here than merely raising the ISO, since it does so only very moderately, to levels which, without ASR, would definitely produce blurry shots at 1/3 second shutter speeds.

You found Sanyo Eneloops 2700mah at your wal-mart? .
    Sorry for the long delay in responding, but I just noticed your question this time I visited the site. I found Sanyo Eneloops at Wal-Mart but they are 2000mAh, not 2700. Why they last so much longer I may have read, but I can't remember. Yet they do. They are the true energizer bunnies. I know that not all Wal-Marts have them in stock, so you probably need to call ahead. But you can also order them online from Thomas Distributing in Paris, IL---four AAs for less than $10. Sanyo sells a slower charger with them, noting that the batteries both last longer and charge better with a slower (7 hour) charger.

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I've got a few from my S85 I'd like to share.

Quote Originally Posted by jdl7538 View Post
    Sorry for the long delay in responding, but I just noticed your question this time I visited the site. I found Sanyo Eneloops at Wal-Mart but they are 2000mAh, not 2700. Why they last so much longer I may have read, but I can't remember. Yet they do. They are the true energizer bunnies. I know that not all Wal-Marts have them in stock, so you probably need to call ahead. But you can also order them online from Thomas Distributing in Paris, IL---four AAs for less than $10. Sanyo sells a slower charger with them, noting that the batteries both last longer and charge better with a slower (7 hour) charger.

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I've got a few from my S85 I'd like to share.
    Ah, ok. I'm actually using two pair of Duracell 2050mAh batteries right now and they last me a nice little while on a full charge. Thanks for the info though.

If ya need advice on posting pictures then feel free to ask. I would recommend using Photobucket, Picasa or Flickr to host your pictures from. Although there are many more photo hosting sites out there, I prefer these three. I look forward to seeing some of your shots!

If ya need advice on posting pictures then feel free to ask. I would recommend using Photobucket, Picasa or Flickr to host your pictures from. Although there are many more photo hosting sites out there, I prefer these three. I look forward to seeing some of your shots!
    Thanks for the spur, rx_morph. I joined photobucket so let's see if it works:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...iageGesu-1.jpg

I have a DSLR and lenses, and a Canon S3 IS ultra-zoom. I wanted a small pocketable point-and-shoot for those occasions where I did not want to lug the other gear.

It was a toss-up between the Samsung L210, a Panasonic LZ8, and a Nikon P550. The Nikon did not have optical image stabilization, and the Panny was a bit bulgy due to the AA batteries. So, I decided on this camera after reading a few reviews.

I spent a couple lunch breaks just examining the features and how they interact (some features are limited or absent in certain modes), and went on one outing to have a real-world test.

I have mixed feelings about it.

*Pros:
    Compact.
    Substantial feel.
    Can produce nice images.
    Red-eye reduction seems to work well.
    Decent editing software.

*Cons:
    Has difficulty focusing particularly in low light, and when digitally zoomed. Digital zoom on any camera is crap so I'm not too worried about it here.

Somewhat slow operation. The screen blanks out for 2 or 3 seconds (or an additional second or two if using flash) as the image is being written to the card. You can't change settings or do anything while this is happening.

*Quirks (May be good or bad according to your preferences):
    Battery charges through the USB cable only, either from your PC's USB or a wall socket. This is convenient, yet it ties up your camera while charging. I got just under 200 shots in the real world, but over 450 at home when testing it. So, your mileage will vary greatly depending on how you are shooting.

Although there is a manual mode (M), you can only choose one of two apertures at whatever focal length you are at. These are normally the maximum and minimum available apertures. Though these choices really are sufficient, control freaks may be disappointed.

Continuous shooting is available in 2 modes, "continuous" and "shutter capture". "Continuous" is what most people think of but only about 1 shot per second (pretty slow). "Shutter capture" is a snappy 6 shots per second for a maximum of 5 seconds for a total of 30 shots. This is great performance - except the images are only 640 x 480 pixels, barely 4 x 6 inches at full size.

Exposure bracketing. This can be a great feature as it gives you three exposure choices. However, the difference is only 1/3 of a stop each way which is not very noticeable. It should be at least 1/2 stop (or more) either way to be useful, as editing software can adjust 1/3 stop easily. Also, the camera takes 3 shots in a row and the LCD will be blank during all of it, about 9 seconds.

The self-timer has some neat options such as taking 2 consecutive shots at a time (so you don't have to run back to the camera to "do" another one), or motion-detection that waits for everyone to settle down. However, once the shot is taken, the camera reverts to the normal mode. If you want to take a series of night shots on a tripod with the self-timer to minimize blur, for example, you will have to set the self-timer each time.

The zoom indicator shows a little bar to indicate where you are in the zoom range. This only works when you are actually zooming, however. On the subject of zooming, the face-detection feature disables the digital zoom (probably a good thing, though).

Movie mode has a high-res option, yet at a reduced frame-rate so it may appear slightly choppy. You can zoom while recording, which is a plus. But, I can't get any sound when played on the computer though it is audible when played in the camera. I have nearly every codec imaginable and routinely play many file formats. The provided codec gets an "access denied" installation error when I try the full option. Bummers.

The user manual is a PDF file. However, there is a dedicated "mode" on the dial that is a help guide. There is a printed quick-start quide to get you going, and as most the options are pretty straight-forward, you should not have a big problem operating the camera.

For a basic camera, I think it is OK, with a few good features. For anything advanced, you might think it is missing a few features.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 11-10-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Samsung BL1050 Specs?

Suddenly the Samsung BL1050 with 5x optical zoom and 10mp appeared on the scene selling for $99.00, including case and 1gig card. It looks almost identical to the S85, but ads don't give full specifications, nor closeups of control wheel or buttons. For $99 all one gets is "Auto" mode with 5x zoom and 10mp, or what? Anyone know more about it?
    Last edited by jdl7538; 12-06-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: grammatical error

Quote Originally Posted by jdl7538 View Post
    Suddenly the Samsung BL1050 with 5x optical zoom and 10mp appeared on the scene selling for $99.00, including case and 1gig card. It looks almost identical to the S85, but ads don't give full specifications, nor closeups of control wheel or buttons. For $99 all one gets is "Auto" mode with 5x zoom and 10mp, or what? Anyone know more about it?
    Hey jdl7538,

I too found that every website, including Samsung.com, didn't list very specific specifications on this model. However if you download the user manual then you'll see that it does indeed include the features of the S85 and even a few extra. I actually got this as a gift for someone for Christmas this year since they're still using an old Kodak 3.2mp with no optical zoom whatsoever. I don't think they'll be disappointed...especially if this performs as the S85 that I have does - which by all indications it should. I grab it for $110.00 (10 for shipping) online a couple weeks ago though and the included case and 1gb card is just icing on the cake!

Question

Hey jdl7538,

I too found that every website, including Samsung.com, didn't list very specific specifications on this model. However if you download the user manual then you'll see that it does indeed include the features of the S85 and even a few extra. I actually got this as a gift for someone for Christmas this year since they're still using an old Kodak 3.2mp with no optical zoom whatsoever. I don't think they'll be disappointed...especially if this performs as the S85 that I have does - which by all indications it should. I grab it for $110.00 (10 for shipping) online a couple weeks ago though and the included case and 1gb card is just icing on the cake!
    I would love to know what's going on in the numbers designation department at Samsung. This one is labled "BL1050" and they are offering another one with the designation "S1060" which also looks all the world like another enhanced S85, hardly much different, if at all, from the BL1050. Check it out: http://www.samsungcamera.com/product...300&cat_uid=11 I can't see that either has an optical image stabilizer, and I wonder whether the performance in low light has improved. The Panasonic LZ8 has gotten a great recommendation from Simon Johnson at DPReviews. It too has a 5x optical zoom, but with optical stabilizing, and sells now for around $130. It does very, very well in low light, so it's getting harder to stay with the Samsungs which are notoriously poor in low light, though they still have a sharper lens.

I'm looking for a new compact digital camera and just started checking out the samsungs. Do you have any idea how they perform?