Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    You won't be disappointed with F40 but it doesn't have manual controls.

If you don't mind using flash then I don't see why you won't be happy with A720 IS. It has full manual controls one can ask for, IS, 6x optical zoom. Its cycle can be slow when battery power is low as it only uses 2x AA batteries.... but again there is no such thing as a perfect camera. Just to let you know what to expect...

"Buying a new car isn't as stressful.. " I read this comment many times before on these forums.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Larger cameras tend to use AAs, not Li-Ions because they are more convenient in general and certainly cheaper. BTW, the TZ3 doesn't have manual controls.

I agree, the A720 is still your best fit. While your concerns are valid, they will go away once you have the camera in your hands and start shooting pictures.

Canon A720 or something else?

I recently purchased the Canon A720 and I'm very happy with it. However, the slow flash recycle is a negative, though it's far outweighed by all the positives of the camera.

If you're willing to pay as much as $300, I'd consider the Canon SD850IS. It's a great all-around camera and it also has an optical viewfinder, which I've discovered is very useful on bright sunny days. It also has a much faster flash recycling time than the A720. It doesn't have all the manual options of the A720 but it's still has lots of useful options. The Fuji F40fd and F50fd are also definitely worth considering for their overall picture quality.

Cool

Manual control is important to me too. Sorry to say, very few compact cameras have this, even with high price tags. Mostly what you do find are Canons. I believe the Canon SX100 also has manual controls, but dunno about the flash cycle for it. Otherwise most of the point-and-shoot models with manual control will be the SLR-like types. And you can find these just under your $300 ceiling. But they really are not pocket cameras.

no help Kelly

Here's a list of current cameras with manual controls - http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...=42&submit.y=8

The Canon SX100 and Sony H3 are similar cameras - 10x zoom, manual controls, compact, IS, and no optical viewfinder. No compact camera is going to have great flash recycle time, the best cameras for that have 4 AAs and that means they are larger.

After many, many hours of doing research and reviews. I think i have made a decision. I think I am going to go with the F40. Read alot of good things about this camera and a few bad things. One thing I have found out though every camera out there has some bad things about it. I was going to go with the A720 from Canon but I saw low light isnt one of that cameras strengths. I was also looking at the F50 but I read that the F40 is a better camera than the F50.

The fedex guy dropped off my F40fd to me today. I have been messing around with it and taking pictures, so far I am pretty happy with it. Pictures are much, much better than than were with my Fuji A330. Thanks for all the advice!!