Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Which camera for inventory (indoor) pics? I need them for emails, ebay and prints.

Hi Guys,

Please help me with a good advice - I would appreciate the help of some experts.

I am from Vienna, Austria and I try to find a cheap camera for ebay photos and inventory photos. 99% of the photos are indoor photos with artificial light. I even bought a light cube where I put my objects in. The objects I want to photograph are relatively small. They start at 2-3 inches. The materials I photograph are brass, nickel, wood. We run a gallery and sometimes I make also pics of our shop.

I have an old camera, an Olympus C-350 (probably 5-6 years old) and a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S600 (1 year old). I am very dissapointed of the Sony. Of course the sony is more modern, faster, etc, but the indoor performance is poor!! She makes strange colored photos (sometimes a bit blue). So most time I use my old Olympus instead of the newer Sony. The Sony may be a good camera for travel pics mainly made outside, but for my purpose the Sony is not the right one.

Budget: Maybe up to 300 USD

Size: The size of the case doesn't matter at all as I use it for indoor photos in my small light cube.

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 6 or 7 MP should be more than enough. Could be less.

What optical zoom will you need? Standard = 3x-4x

How important is “image quality” to you? Very important

Do you care for manual controls? Should be easy to use. I would prefer if the pics are nice in the automatic modus.

What will you generally use the camera for? Please see introduction - indoor, studio photos of small items with artificial light.

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Not really, not too big, maybe 7 inches.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?Yes, yes, yes!

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? No!

Are there particular brands you like or hate? Not really, but this time I will try to avoid Sony unless someone really tries to convince me.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? No. I hope you give me a good advice.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Probably image stabilization.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Best regards,

Ron
    Last edited by Tamstar; 01-26-2008 at 07:07 AM.

Poor indoor performance? Is it any better outside? If so; maybe you should take it out of auto mode and force the ISO to it's lowest, use a tripod, use your light box for all lighting needs (forget the flash). Even still; the tiny pixel crammed sensor on the P&S won't offer very good photos.

For improved Image Quality, I would buy a Canon Rebel XT with a 50mm f1.8 lens. If you could find the XT is $350 and the lens $60. You can probably get them together used for about $250 - 300. You might even find a Canon 20D with lens for about $150 more.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thanks for your reply!

I checked ebay in the US and Germany. In Germany this model is expensive, in the USA rather cheap, but shipping and cutoms increases the price. I would need to buy one here in Europe and it should be including warranty.

But is it really necessary to buy a camera like this for my purpose? The main problem with the Sony was the definition of the light. The Sony almost never caught the actual light situation. Sometimes it was too bright, sometimes to dark, sometimes blue, etc.

The pictures were crisp, but the light was always the problem.

I hate that, so I returned to my old Olympus. I am actually looking for a camera with a good automatic modus that catches the (artificial) light as it really is! Of course, the pics should be crispy.

Thanks a lot!

Ron

my girlfriend uses a canon A570 IS for taking pictures of damaged furniture at her work. and it has manual control
    D40 18-55mm Tamron 70-300MM SB400
    Canon S3 IS
    Canon A570 IS
    Kodak Z710

Lightbulb

I am actually looking for a camera with a good automatic modus that catches the (artificial) light as it really is!
    Instead of hoping for a perfect automatic exposure every time, why not bracket? This is a common feature on the better Canons. And I believe there are Panasonic models with this for under 200 USD. Though that still leaves the question of White Balance. Bracketing usually covers only the light/darkness of the exposure, not the White Balance.

Kelly Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Tamstar View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

I checked ebay in the US and Germany. In Germany this model is expensive, in the USA rather cheap, but shipping and cutoms increases the price. I would need to buy one here in Europe and it should be including warranty.

But is it really necessary to buy a camera like this for my purpose? The main problem with the Sony was the definition of the light. The Sony almost never caught the actual light situation. Sometimes it was too bright, sometimes to dark, sometimes blue, etc.

The pictures were crisp, but the light was always the problem.

I hate that, so I returned to my old Olympus. I am actually looking for a camera with a good automatic modus that catches the (artificial) light as it really is! Of course, the pics should be crispy.

Thanks a lot!

Ron
    Are you using AUTO mode? Since you're using artificial lighting that never varies, you should be able to get settings you like (f-stop and shutter speed), always use a tripod (allowing for very slow shutter). If your camera has manual focus, then maybe even forget about auto-focus should mis-focusing become a problem.

Some cameras allow immediate link to computer, so you can see if it's what you want and make adjustments immediately. Being in a lab environment opens a lot of doors and takes a lot of burden off the camera's auto-capabilities. Maybe your old camera is just fine.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10