Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

filters on lenses...do you put one on every lens?

My wife, who was active in photography way before digital came along, but kind of quit for the last decade, says she always put a UV on her lenses. One to protect it, the other because it enhanced images.

So, I'm wondering what everyone else thinks now. Polarizer? UV? Other? I have a rather expensive new lens coming for my xti, and I'm wondering what to put on it.

On a side note, what about a lens hood? Seems they look cool, but are they functional for just day to day use? Or, is it more useful outdoors where you might have sun to deal with?

That's it...

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by SynterX View Post
    My wife, who was active in photography way before digital came along, but kind of quit for the last decade, says she always put a UV on her lenses. One to protect it, the other because it enhanced images.

So, I'm wondering what everyone else thinks now. Polarizer? UV? Other? I have a rather expensive new lens coming for my xti, and I'm wondering what to put on it.

On a side note, what about a lens hood? Seems they look cool, but are they functional for just day to day use? Or, is it more useful outdoors where you might have sun to deal with?

That's it...
    Lens hoods are great. I'd always use one - they do protect the lens.

As for filters, get Hoya SMC UV as standard. Hoya SMC Circular Polariser is the other kind you need. No need at all for any other filters.

The lens hood protects from light falling in from the side creating veils and flares, and also it protects the front lens element.

With film SLRs UV or skylight filters would help clear UV haze on sunny days and higher altitudes. With DSLRs that is not really needed so much anymore, because the sensors react differently to UV light, and most UV light gets filtered out by the filters that are in front of each pixel.

I do not standardly use filters, because I do not like to standardly compromise image quality by putting a slab of glass in front that may cause reflections and veils/ghosting in some images in some circumstances. I only use a polarized filter when I actually want to use that filter for what it does, and the rest of the time they are not mounted (pol filters take away a lot of light).

Some people do swear by putting a filter in front of their lenses "for protection", I am not one of them. If you do put filters in your good lenses as standard, then be sure to get a good multi coated filter from a make like B&W. Like a skylight filter.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Naked here

My lenses are that is, dirty minds...

Use a filter when you need to use one. With digital the only filter you need is a polarizer, it's an effect that is not easily duplicated with PS. I paid a lot of money for my lenses, why would I want to put another piece of glass in front of them possibly degrading image quality.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

I recently started equipping all my lenses with UV filters, just for protection... here's an example of a filter saving a guys L series lens when he was shooting paintball....

Luckily, the shattered part you see was just his filter :P
    Because Words Can't Describe It.

Flickr

Gear:
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi 400D | Canon EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 II USM | Canon EF 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II |
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Quantaray 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | BG-E3 Battery Grip | 430EX | Tripod

Nikon N4004s | 70-210mm
    Chinon CE-4 | 50mm
    Pentax K1000

Well, if you always shoot paintball, always put a filter on your lens, and hope the shattered filter does not SCRATCH your lens, I guess?

All that that says is.... put a cheap filter in front of your lens when shooting something you can assume is hazardous.

All the rest of the time... shoot filterless so you get the best performance out of your quality lens.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    Well, if you always shoot paintball, always put a filter on your lens, and hope the shattered filter does not SCRATCH your lens, I guess?

All that that says is.... put a cheap filter in front of your lens when shooting something you can assume is hazardous.

All the rest of the time... shoot filterless so you get the best performance out of your quality lens.

True...

Is there one type of photography you mainly do Synter?
    Because Words Can't Describe It.

Flickr

Gear:
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi 400D | Canon EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 II USM | Canon EF 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II |
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Quantaray 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | BG-E3 Battery Grip | 430EX | Tripod

Nikon N4004s | 70-210mm
    Chinon CE-4 | 50mm
    Pentax K1000

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post

Use a filter when you need to use one. With digital the only filter you need is a polarizer, it's an effect that is not easily duplicated with PS. I paid a lot of money for my lenses, why would I want to put another piece of glass in front of them possibly degrading image quality.
    To protect it?

Personally, I don't use filters for protection. The hood works for protection, so does being careful. I do use a CPL when the situation calls for it. Others that aren't replaced by Photoshop are the ND filter and the GND filter. These are mostly for waterfalls and high contrast landscapes, respectively.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I use a Hoya SMC UV filter for two reasons:

1. It's easier to clean than the lens and I can scrub away at it with a cotton handkerchief without worry.

2. I have found the SMC coating is a little better than that on a lens during the day. At night however, I take it off for time exposures as even with the anti-halation coating, it does reflect slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post

I need Neutral Density filters for getting a slow shutter speed for waterfalls.
    Durin S. Day

Olympus OM-1n
    Canon 30d
    28-135mm (which is not a good lens in my opinion)