Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Whale Tail - Gary Fong

Well, I popped for one of these Whale Tail gadgets, as an improvement over the earlier "Lightsphere",

Name:  Whale Tail.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  20.8 KB

just to see what I can do with it. It comes as a full kit ... and looks to be worth a try. God knows ... I've invested in all sorts of ideas. A lot of people have attested to the lightsphere's rather impressive results ... but it is a stange looking device. More like an old, non-discript lamp shade than a flash enhancer. At least the Whale-tail has a distinct shape to it ... so people take it a bit more seriously.

Gary Fong site

Whale Tail Kit

So ... I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is (as usual) and try seeing how improved the lighting can be versus not diffusing it with this beastie. You know, just for an investigatory run.

Guess we shall see, next week.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-12-2008 at 11:46 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

yeaaah, this is an old post but i would like to know how you like it. i am really interested in this.
    Cameras: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi | Kodak EasyShare M753
    Lenses: Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM & IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    Accessories: Canon Speedlite 430EX | SanDisk Ultra II CF 1GB x2 | SanDisk Standard CF 512MB x4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended | Adobe Lightroom 2.0 Beta

flickr

I use it quite a bit ... as it makes a good, diffused flash and offers significant variations that you can really get out of the "rubber-band & white card" idea.

It's easy to mount and on the SONY HVL-F56AM or Canon 580EX flash, gets into just about any orientation effectively.

Good luck with your purchase.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Just far enough from London to be in the countryside
    It's a recurirng theme in photography. There's kit you get because you like it, there's kit you get because you need it, and there's kit you get because it makes other people take you more seriously!
    It's not about how expensive your kit is, it's about the skill and dedication of the photographer, the emotion in every shot, and whether or not the little bugger moved before I pressed the shutter.

Picasa Web Albums