Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how do you know how many shutter realses you've done ?

how do you/can you know how many shutter releases your camera (a camera) has on it ?
    Nikon D40 18-55mm kit
    Nikkor AF-S DX VR 55-200mm f/4 -f/5.6
    Nikkor 180mm F2.8 AI

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding" - Albert Einstein

I'm not sure if the D40 will encode the shutter actuation number in the RAW file or not. My D50 put the number in the RAW file, but not the jpeg.

The D300 keeps a shutter count in its regular menu under the "Battery Life" sub menu. So thats nice.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor 12-24/4 | Nikkor 50/1.8 | Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VRI | Sigma 18-50/2.8 | SB-800 | SB-80DX (x4) | Radiopopper JrX Studio |

I use a program from Opanda called IExif. It will list how many shutter releases the camera has buy loading a picture into the program. Its a free program and can be downloaded from here..

Code:
    http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by bobc4d View Post
    how do you/can you know how many shutter releases your camera (a camera) has on it ?
    If you set the image numbering on the camera to continuous rather than the default (which is to reset to 0001 each time a new card in inserted or the card is formatted) the camera will number the images up to 9999 then reset to 0.
    My current images are in the range of _4670 which means 14670 shutter releases approximately (I probably have another 100 or so from before I set the menu).
    For me that's close enough and I don't have to worry about viewing Exif data in software programs.

About 58,000 on my D70s and about 6,000 on my D300.

On the D300, I shot 4,000 of those photos in the last 3 weeks.
    Small Town Newspaper Oaf

East Coast Coorespondant for CRAWL Magazine!!??

So what are we saying here?
    When you reach your quota of shutter releases you need to take your camera for a service?
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler View Post
    So what are we saying here?
    When you reach your quota of shutter releases you need to take your camera for a service?
    It seems to be something a lot of people get hung up about I guess either from the "is my camera wearing out" point of view or from the "mine is bigger (well has more shutter releases anyway) than yours" view.
    Maybe those with lots of releases should be looked on as shutter release gods?
    The only time I can see the shutter release number being relevant is if I were buying a used body so I could at least gauge the amount of use as well as a visual inspection to see the type of use.
    Personally I don't care, if my camera breaks it breaks and if it needs a service I should be able to tell from the image quality or because of some mechanical problem rather than because I have noticed that it has reached a magic number.
    There again how often are you supposed to change the oil on these things anyway and should you use full synthetic or mineral oil?

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    I use a program from Opanda called IExif. It will list how many shutter releases the camera has buy loading a picture into the program. Its a free program and can be downloaded from here..

Code:
    http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html
    Hey Jcon can you be more specific about where you get the total shutter count with IExif? I downloaded the lastest freeware version and loaded in the last JPEG I took from my D200. When I look thru the information, I do not see total shutter releases, or anything refering to it. Thanks for your response.

I have 3300 now on my D40 (purchased 10/5/07).
    Sam

Nikon D80, D300s, Nikkormat EL, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 55-200mm f4-f5.6 VR AF-S Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D Nikkor, 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q pre-AI, Hanimex 35mm f2.8 doorstop

www.flickr.com/photos/swpars

i would only be interested for interests sake!

as mentioned, very useful for buying a second hand body

This program also tells you

http://drchung.new21.net/previewextractor/
    Last edited by herc182; 01-09-2008 at 07:55 AM.
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

http://www.philipduartephotography.com

"It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"