Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Painting with flash?

It's a phrase I came across in a photography magazine - the idea seems to be you find a subject and set up in the last hours of daylight, wait for the sun to set, and with the camera on long exposure on a tripod, you use an external flashgun (Handheld, not on the hotshoe) to light up certain parts of the scene you want illuminated.

Has anyone tried it? What kind of results did you get? It's a technique I'm considering trying at some point.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

I also have a set of colored filters which clip on over the flash. So not only can I paint with the flash, but I can paint in color. Ive thought of this often, but yet to do it. Now that I have a digital camera its impossible because there is only a 4 sec max exposure time.

its much easier to do and you have alot more control over it by using a torch or a spotlight. i've seen that done alot with awesome effects.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

"Painting with Flash" or "Painting with Light" is a technique I learned years ago while taking Crime Scene Technology back in 1984. Since then, I've used the technique several times. It's actually easy and fun, especially when you decide to be creative with it!

First, you need a camera that you can set to bulb and lock with a cable. My Nikon D70s digital does this just as easily as my old Minolta 7000i and Canon AE1.

Second, use a flashlight and lock the focus on an object about ten to twenty feet away from the camera and then set the f-stop to about f-8 to f-11.

Using a very dark area outside, open the shutter. Then move about your pictured area firing the flash at an angle away or across the pictured area.

Because the picture is dark without the flash firing, it's very rare that the camera can capture you.

We learned this technique in taking car accident pictures or skid pictures on roadway surfaces in dark lighting. It's easy and fun.

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the advice all - When I get the opportunity to give it a go I'll let you all know. Might try it with a torch as well to see the difference in results.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

Very interesting. Can you please post some pics after you try it.