Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noisy images at ISO 160?!?

I tried to search, but you can't do a search with t he word "iso" in it.

So...

I got an Olympus Stylus 1000 for Christmas, it is an upgrade from an old Olympus Camedia D-40ZOOM. That D-40 takes nice pictures, but it is the size of a brick. The highest ISO is 400, and I always left it on auto and never paid attention to what it used.

With the 1000 in low light indoor pictures when I push the shutter button half way the image get way darker, assumably to allow the flash not to blind the lens (don't know how else to phrase it, newbie), but I also think it jacks up the ISO, anyway I took some test images to figure out where the noise was from in these indoor pictures. I set the ISO at 64 and went through all of the picture quality setting, and except for the 640X480 (hahahaha) they were all crisp and clear. I set the ISO and WB to auto and the quality to SHQ and boom... noisy picture (at 100% zoom, which would be used rarely). I pulled up the properties on three different pictures, with different noise levels and the worst offenders were both ISO 160!!!! Isn't that a fairly low ISO to have graininess?

I am wondering if there are other setting that can help to reduce this or if this is a known issue with new Olympus cameras, I have seen one other complaint. Most of my pictures will be outdoors, but a combo of day and night pics.

What do you think?

I was also playing with the white balance, so ignore the funny colors...

ISO 64:

ISO 160:

i cant pick the difference. if you hadn;t told me which was which i would have never guessed. they look fine to me. remember...it is a compact, don;t expect iso performance to be great. normally you start seeing some loss in IQ the shadow areas from around iso200
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I agree with Rooz..they look fine. Now if its not a chocolate lab in the picture, your colors may be off but the noise/grain level look undetectable to me.
    Last edited by pas49ras; 12-30-2007 at 07:59 AM.
    Doug
    Pentax K200D,Pentax 18-250,Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro
    Kodak Z915
    http://picasaweb.google.com/pas49ras

I was also playing with the white balance, so ignore the funny colors...
    I agree with Rooz..they look fine for me. Now if its not a chocolate lab in the picture, your colors may be off but the noise/grain level look undetectable to me.
    Doug
    Kodak Z915

Flickr scaled them down to about 1/3 or 1/4 size. After I posted it I couldn't even tell a difference, like I said it is noticeable at about 75% to 100% zoom, which with pictures that large won't happen much, but my complaint is at 400 ISO my old camera's pictures are clearer. Why should that be the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i cant pick the difference. if you hadn;t told me which was which i would have never guessed. they look fine to me. remember...it is a compact, don;t expect iso performance to be great. normally you start seeing some loss in IQ the shadow areas from around iso200
    With all compacts? Canon, Fuji, Olympus, etc...? My d-40 Digital made in 1100BC does fine at ISO 200 and 400...

Quote Originally Posted by sparkerjc View Post
    With all compacts? Canon, Fuji, Olympus, etc...? My d-40 Digital made in 1100BC does fine at ISO 200 and 400...
    The Stylus 1000 was one of the first 10 MP P/S cameras..10MP with a small sensor. The noise level will show up quickly when you zoom in.I was reading a review on the Stylus and it looks like it doesn't even have a ISO stop at 160?? Flash pictures are hard to compare because of the uneven exposure...where you seeing the noise in the darker areas of the picture..this is some what normal.

Olympus Stylus 1000 Digital Camera Review
    Specifications
    * Shutter Speed: 1/2 sec to 1/1000 sec (up to 4 seconds in Night mode)
    * Sensitivity: Auto, ISO 64/100/200/400/800/1600/3200/6400

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...us+stylus+1000
    Last edited by pas49ras; 12-30-2007 at 08:34 AM.
    Doug
    Kodak Z915

Quote Originally Posted by sparkerjc View Post
    Flickr scaled them down to about 1/3 or 1/4 size. After I posted it I couldn't even tell a difference, like I said it is noticeable at about 75% to 100% zoom, which with pictures that large won't happen much, but my complaint is at 400 ISO my old camera's pictures are clearer. Why should that be the case?
    There are a large number of factors that can affect noise levels and many cameras differ wildly, even within a single brand. In particular the huge resolution on a small sensor.
    -- Martin

Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by iamaelephant View Post
    There are a large number of factors that can affect noise levels and many cameras differ wildly, even within a single brand. In particular the huge resolution on a small sensor.
    I tried scaling the image down to smaller resolution, but it appears to have the same noise levels.

I set all the settings I could the same for the pictures, the only difference being WB and ISO.

So... is 10MP too much for a compact? If I scale the images down it should be less apparent or should I get a Stylus 780?

Do you have the quality level set to super high? The Stylus 780 has a slightly larger sensor and less MP so the noise level may be improved. You may see the same thing...you may be expecting to much from the camera. If I zoom in on images taken with my DSLR, I can see the noise/pixels in the images.The pictures you posted look very sharp.
    Last edited by pas49ras; 12-31-2007 at 05:54 AM.
    Doug
    Kodak Z915