Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hmmm... the cups are half empty! Maybe we just see the results of drinking half of all that stuff?
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    "Funny" as in amusing and strange. It's as if there're two different threads mashed together, and one of them is really odd.
    I viewed this thread when it was first posted, as I'm considering the 430EX. I thought for a moment I was the one drinking....and someone stole my nephew's science project.
    | Canon 5D, XTi, EOS-3 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 85mm f1.8 USM | Canon 50mm f1.4 USM | Canon 28mm f1.8 USM | Canon 580EX II | Elinchrom Skyports | Vivitar 283 + 285 flashes...Alien Bees...etc. | Mamiya M645 1000s | Canonet Junior, Bell & Howell Dial-35 + too much other gear...

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfixit View Post
    I viewed this thread when it was first posted, as I'm considering the 430EX. I thought for a moment I was the one drinking....and someone stole my nephew's science project.
    I'm just going through various setups with the 420EX and 430EX to show what can and can't be done. The science project is complete but it's a handy prop to use while doing the photos.

And here's how I situated the flashes - so far...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rhys; 01-08-2008 at 04:35 PM.

I recommend Jeff to make this thread a sticky.

It never fails to give me a good laugh every morning
    You first see a photo with your mind, and then capture it with your camera!

Canon - EOS 50D | BG-E2N | 70-200mm f/4 L IS | 400mm f/5.6 L | Sigma - 18-50mm f/2.8 EX | 30mm f/1.4 EX | 150mm f/2.8 Macro EX | | Misc - 430EX | OC-E3 | EF-12 Ex Tube | Kenko Teleplus 300 Pro 2x TC | FotoFile Backpack AW | Lowepro Nova 3 AW | Tripod | Panasonic FZ5.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Viky View Post
    I recommend Jeff to make this thread a sticky.

It never fails to give me a good laugh every morning
    OK smartypants... Why haven't you contributed your own Canon flash tutorial then? Could it possibly be that unlike me, you're not brave enough to experiment and put the results up?

It is NOT a flash tutorial. Yet the thread title states it is!
    And THAT is what all these negative posts are about.

There is not a single correctly/attractively flashed photo to be seen anywhere, no tutorial on what the different camera modes do for how the EOS flash system responds, no knowledge and no tips for how to get the best out of the Canon EOS flash system.

So yes, in all its absurdity it does make one giggle. Like someone posted above, put it on a blog. But this does not belong on a digital photography site with the title "Canon flash tutorial", as it will show up in a Google search like that, and it has no tutorial value what so ever.

For a Canon flash tutorial, I would go to Jamison. Or CDI. Or some of the others that tried to explain a few things to you when you had so overflashed that wedding.

I do not see why smartypants Viky should do the same as this? It is smart not to do it.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quite honestly, I'm getting very sick of hearing rubbish from people that think they know it all. I was slowly putting a decent flash tutorial, exploring step by step various flash techniques, showing what works and what doesn't and all I get is crap about it.

There are without doubt three or four main idiots on this forum that I have encountered from time to time.

Do you remember John Reed who used to post quite a bit? He quit the forum probably forever - because he had so much crap off the idiots here. He and I are pretty much of the same mind.

LOL ... for some reason I had Razr and Rhys confused. For a minute there I thought, "Is this the "aperature" guy?"

Why not read the posts and try to understand why they are negative about things?

Anyway, if you can read German, you should study this rather good and in-depth Canon EOS DSLR flash tutorial:
    http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/b...port_teil1.php

For who not is able to read German, try this site. It is dry, and because of the lack of examples harder to understand at times, but it too is helpful and contains a lot of valuable information:
    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Both cover a lot, and will be helpful.

And yes, I do remember John Reed. Isn't he the man who always only would recommend Panasonic compact digital and Panasonic bridge cameras, no matter what the information asking person's requirements and wishes were?

And who would get angry when one would point at the one area those Panasonic cameras let you down... the sensor and its noisy character, and the Panasonic in-camera processing, which often would not make it the most logical choice to recommend?
    Last edited by coldrain; 01-09-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    Why not read the posts and try to understand why they are negative about things?

Anyway, if you can read German, you should study this rather good and in-depth Canon EOS DSLR flash tutorial:
    http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/b...port_teil1.php

It covers a lot, and will be helpful.

And yes, I do remember John Reed. Isn't he the man who always only would recommend Panasonic compact digital and Panasonic bridge cameras, no matter what the information asking person's requirements and wishes were?

And who would get angry when one would point at the one area those Panasonic cameras let you down... the sensor and its noisy character, and the Panasonic in-camera processing, which often would not make it the most logical choice to recommend?
    I did not know you spoke German.

Yes John Reed loved the Panasonics and to be quite honest, I think they're darned good cameras myself.

As far as noise goes, I think a lot of the debate about noise and all the pixel peeping that goes on is somewhat pointless these days. If you can make a nice 10x8 or bigger print without it being marred by noise then that's pretty much all there is to say on the subject of noise. The 3 megapixel cameras were pretty darned good - I have the S1 IS, the 995 and the 3100. While they do exhibit noise at 400 ISO it's not more than I'd expect from the grain of 400 ISO film such as Ilford HP5 or Kodak Tri-X. In fact I'd say they're better. Thus, IMHO, noise is largely a non-issue for most people. John is quite right when he says that the noise doesn't show up because it will not unless you go for extreme enlargements.

Yes - I do compare film and digital because I see a link between film grain and digital noise. The grain gets bigger on faster films and the noise gets louder on faster ISOs.

In terms of sensors, I really like the results of the Foveon sensor on Sigma's SD14 at 100 ISO. The increase in noise/grain at higher ISOs is out of proportion though. Having mentioned ISOs, I normally stay at 100 ISO for the best quality - if possible.

Now... my flash tutorial - I am showing the effects of flashes in different orientations and with the camera at different angles in relation to the flashes. I'm using two flashes for this tutorial although for other (not yet planned tutorials) I might use 1 or 3 or 4.