Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

about to buy canon 17-55 IS USM lens...won't fit?

BH PHoto has a special note on the item, "will only fit 40D, 30D, and 20D".

I have a XTi (400D, right?).

Yet, the lens is a EF-S which I thought was specifically made for the EOS. No?

Read it again. I'm copying and pasting here...

"Important Notice!
    Only fits on the EOS Digital Rebel series or 40D, 30D & 20D SLR cameras"

It won't fit full frame cameras, such as the 5D and 1D series, but it will fit your XTi just fine.

ah, details, details. I read that thing twice before posting. I'm off to a great start in '08!

thanks.

Also, while I got ya. I see a 24-105 L series lens for about the same money, maybe $100 more. Am I correct in that the L series are not specifically designed for EOS series (cropped), and therefore can be used, but the 24-105 actually becomes something else?

Reason I ask, is I like the 17, 18 on the wide angle end of the kit lens, but could always like a bit more zoom than the 55.

Which way does the crop go? Would a non-crop lens of 24 be equivelant to a 17 or so?

Or, should I just shut up and get the 17-55 and get on with my life...

No, you are wrong.

Yes, the 17-55 is an EF-S lens.
    Yes, the 24-105 is an EF lens.
    And no, the 24-105 will not "change", it will remain 24-105mm.

But... you you compare the photos from your 1.6x crop factor camera with those of a full frame camera, you will have to multiply the focal lengths of BOTH lenses to understand what focal lengths to use on the full frame to get the same views.

So... 17-55mm is just that... 24-105mm is just that... and the smaller sensor just crops the images in both cases.

To say it clearer:
    to compare ANY lens with 35mm full frame, you have to multiply ANY focal length, of every lens you put on the cropped sensor camera.

EF-S lenses dont have the image circle for full frame, EF lenses will work on both. That is all.

So, if you are looking for a standard zoom lens, get the 17-55. If you want something longer, then the 24-105... will be longer.
    Last edited by coldrain; 01-02-2008 at 10:36 AM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

The kit lens you're using, at 18-55mm, will produce pictures at a 35mm equivalent of 28-88mm on your XTi. The 24-105 will produce pictures at a 35mm equivalent of 38-168mm.

What Coldrain is saying is the lens doesn't "become" a different focal length, and what you're comparing the focal length to is incorrect. Your kit lens set at 24mm will give you the exact same image as the 24-105 set at 24mm. The mount doesn't make a difference in focal length, the crop factor of the body does.
    Last edited by griptape; 01-02-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Lightbulb Look at it this way ...

Yeah ... it's just a bunch of CROP!

To get the right impression, take a 4"x6" image with 35mm .... then whack-off a full inch from either side of the 6-inch length and 3/4-inch from the 4-inch side ... THAT'S about the same image you will get with that same lens mounted on a APS-C sensor DSLR. Same image, just cropped off ... and it looks like you effectively ZOOMED in. In truth ... the APS-C sensor just gives you less of a overall image.

Here endeth the lesson!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-02-2008 at 02:43 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You make it sound like such a dramatic tragedy Don. Considering the OP doesn't sound like he's ever shot film (and certainly not a full frame dslr) I don't think he'll be crying over his purchase of an XTi just because it makes focal lengths longer. Crop factors aren't good or bad, they just are. Not everyone needs extremely wide angles, but I think everyone enjoys a little extra tele reach now and then. I've never found myself shooting at 18mm and thinking "gee, I wish I could go wider". I have, however, found myself thinking "this 300mm is close, I'll just crop the picture a little closer when I post process it".

The only advantage to me personally when it comes to full frame is the physical size of the sensor, and lower noise because of it. I've used the 10-22, and I simply would never use that wide of an angle, so I have no plan to purchase one, or to upgrade to full frame just to get a wider angle.