Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Anyone tried the "RCC", yet

Anyone tried the "Remote Camera Control" software SONY tossed in with the α700, yet?

I was messing around with it and I believe it to be a pretty nifty 'freebie', considering I spent $40 for just about the same thing for the Canon EOS 20D, about two years ago ... and that only allowed for licensing for a year. What a racket!

You do have to make a slight change to the menu selection, before you try it (see pg. 142-143 in most "User's Guides"). This allows all images to go straight to the PC, rather than the memory stick/CF card, through the USB connection.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Nonsense (again) Don. Canon has always provided the remote "control" for FREE on the CD that comes with your camera, and there is no way you payed anything extra for it with your 20D!

EOS Utility it is called, it was called and also was included for free with your 20D.

And my 2000 Canon Powershot A5 already had remote camera control via the computer for free, only back then it was via serial connection, not USB.

So... what is a racket is your post itself, and that other camera companies, like Sony, like Nikon, did not include this for free like Canon does.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Cool See what I'm talkin' about?

Okay ... maybe so ... but, as this thread has asked ... I am still curious as to whether or not anyone using the SONY α700 has attempted to use this utility on their laptop/DSLR combination when doing studio or local set-ups.

I found that having a monitor available to your subject(s) does one of two things ... either you get more cooperation ... or it is a total distraction. With a heavy-handed mom on your side ... it can really be an asset, as she can plainly see if it is "lil' Billy" or "lil' Joey" playing the fool and deal with it, immediately.

Obviously, if it doesn't work out ... you can turn it off or turn it around.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

running right to a 52" plasma works pretty cool too