Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Perhaps I don't get it, but how is it a bad thing that Nikon and Canon give the consumer a full range of choices and remain strong in the market (to the tune of some 70-80% of all dSLR sales), while Minolta did so poorly in the market that they had to sell the business to Sony? You seem to be indicating that Nikon and Canon are releasing camera after camera, and that this is a bad thing.

Your timeline is still off. You say four years, but the D100 you list will be 6 years old around February or March. That jives with Nikon's typical product cycle of 2 years per model. In a rapidly changing environment, this is well within the bounds of normal, unless of course, you cannot keep up.

I'm just trying to figure out how this is a strength for Sony.
    Eric Lund
    Nikon D200
    Nikkors: 17-55mm f2.8, 18-200mm f3.5-f4.5 VR, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 55mm f2.8 AI-S micro, 105mm f2.8 VR micro
    Other Lenses: Tokina 12-24 f4, Tamron 75-300mm f4-5.6 LD macro
    Stuff: Nikon SB800, Nikon MBD200, Gitzo 1327 Tripod w/RRS BH-55LR Ballhead, Sekonic L-358 meter

I'm having trouble seeing it as a negative.

Oh well ... different approach ... endless funds vs endless software.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

sony havent been in the dslr market long enuf to have a broad dslr range. nor are they a big enuf player. look at pentax as another example. caon and nikon have the broad range cos they CAN. not to mention that they appeal to much broader market.

to me more bodies at more price ranges = more choice for the consumer. how is that a bad thing ?

sony have a mid range dslr in the a700 but nothing underneath or above that. you can't see a negative in that ? hmmm i dunno Don. if sony are indeed going to be succesful in this market they will have a very different, (and more varied), product line up in 2-3 years.

as for the firmware, i certianly think the more firmware updates the better. it costs nothing and if it fixes little glitches then thats great. now THAT side of things i see no negatives.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

sony is making a killing on point n shoots

Question Market driven ... or driver?

I contend that SONY will be driving the market in entirely new ways, in a year or two, but then again ... everyone's got an opinion.

PMA could be very excitiing, this year. 30 days away.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lol ok Don. there are just so many reasons to believe that...it just so happens that none of those reasons are true. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr