Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canon Ef-s 55-250mm 4-5.6 Is Lens????

I'm currently price shopping to purchase the canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, and stumbled across the CANON EF-S 55-250MM 4-5.6 IS LENS for almost half the price. I have never heard about this lens, so i was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it? what does the "s" in the "ef-s" mean? does anyone have any experience they would like to share about this lens? should i be looking at this instead of the 70-300?

here is a link to the camera shop where i came across it

Tedd - The EF-S designation on the lens means that the lens will only work with EF-S compatible bodies (30D, 40D, XTi, etc. pretty much the crop senor gang). The lens is fairly new and was slated to be released in regions outside the US and Canada first. I believe that the release was planned for Canada before the US, hence the reason why you found the lens at Henry's - a Canadian retail seller.

In choosing this lens based purely on focal length I would say that you should stick with the 70-300IS depending on the application. With wildlife for instance, you can never seem to have enough focal length so that 50mm will mean a huge difference. I am not sure what your intended use is though. As for how good it is, I guess we'll all have to wait for some reliable reviews. As things stand now though, the 70-300 is very tough to beat for the price.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

thanks for the reply. i think i will have to go and try it out. i really love the 300mm and have read great things about it, but this maybe an interesting option at half the price

Depending on what camera you have, the EF-S 55-250 IS is actually a very good lens. APS-C only, the 70-300 IS is a full frame lens.

The 55-250 is sharp, and performs quite well especially for the price. If you have an XT/350D first try it out though, since the reviewer of the lens on photozone was not too impressed with the sample he got on his 350D sample AF wise.
    It probably will work fine, but checking can not do much harm.

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...56is/index.htm
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

i still don't fully understand the difference between "ef-s" and "ef". i own a rebel XTi so i know it will work with it, but is there benefits to either mount? in one review it referred to the 300mm as "full format" what does that mean? is there any difference Equivalent Focal Length or multiplier effect?

Red face EF vs EF-S

Quote Originally Posted by TeddTucker View Post
    i still don't fully understand the difference between "ef-s" and "ef". i own a rebel XTi so i know it will work with it, but is there benefits to either mount? in one review it referred to the 300mm as "full format" what does that mean? is there any difference Equivalent Focal Length or multiplier effect?

There would be a "physical problem" using EF-S lenses with a Full-Frame sensor camera body (even if you could mount one on a FF camera - it is physically keyed so that you cannot do it) ... the EF-S lens extends about 1/8" further into the camera body that an EF-lens does (black collar). You'll see this for yourself, if you hold them side-by-side and look at the rear of each type of lens (see illustration below).

EF-S 17-85mm
    Name:  EF17-85_586x225.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  26.3 KB

EF 24-70mm
    Name:  ef24-70_28lu_586x225.jpg
Views: 2154
Size:  20.9 KB

The through-the-lens flip-up mirror of the full frame camera would slam smack into that extra-length projection and either get stuck or break the mirror assembly with the impact.

Other than that ... and the fact that these APS-C sensor-type lenses slightly reduce the image circle, they provide the same stated focal length. If you could mount an EF-S lens, the image on a full-frame sensor could have vignette-issues (a soft-edged, black halo around the image).

Concerning your "multiplier" ... a lens on a full-frame sensor shoots at the focal length stated on the lens. The same lens, when placed on an APS-C sensor camera, such as your XTi, crops out the center two-thirds of the image circle ... and sends that to the memory ... making it look like you zoomed in on the full-frame image. On a Canon ... that digital cropping factor (DCF) is 1.6x

So ... if your lens is 300mm long ... on a full-frame.

it is effectively 420mm (300mm x 1.6 = 420mm) long on your XTi. That's nice extra telephoto, with no loss of light ... but with a wide-angle lens, it really plays hell, turning a nice, wide-angle 28mm effectively into a 44mm normal lens.

Please use THIS LINK for more on this.

If you get a chance to compare your XTi against an EOS 5D, take a few minutes and compare the change between them. It's worth noting.

I hope this is "understable", Tedd
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-28-2007 at 01:12 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 55-250 lacking USM? Because the 70-300mm has USM and from comparing my lenses with/without USM I think the USM is certainly worth the money in most cases. I absolutely hate slow focusing.
    Because Words Can't Describe It.

Flickr

Gear:
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi 400D | Canon EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 II USM | Canon EF 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II |
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Quantaray 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | BG-E3 Battery Grip | 430EX | Tripod

Nikon N4004s | 70-210mm
    Chinon CE-4 | 50mm
    Pentax K1000

It lacking "USM" does not have to mean it focuses slowly, though. Just try it out when in doubt.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

earthwormjim Guest
    i do not know if you noticed but this glass is not yet available in the united states. The only copy i can find is on ebay, but its $400 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=152380

I am curious to see how much this goes for, because it's final price shouldn't surpass the 70-300 IS, but who knows with ebay buyers. Do you know if there is any plans to bring it to the US? and how much it will retail for
    Last edited by TeddTucker; 12-30-2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: grammer