Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Refurbished lens, yea or nea?

This is a repost that I mistakenly posted to the wrong thread...
    TriState Camera has a Canon 70-300IS that is refurbished for $459 USD. does anyone have experience with this company and what are your thoughts on refurbished lenses in general. Thanks for your help!
    Chuck

I bought a miniDV camera from them 7 years ago, and the experience was good. Nothing recently.

As for refurbished, does it come with a Canon warranty still? I buy a lot of used stuff, and for me; used, refurb, etc., the savings needs to be worth the risk. It appears to be ~$75-$85 savings versus new, so that is fairly significant IMO. You probably wouldn't save more on eBay, and your risk might be higher?
    | Canon 5D, XTi, EOS-3 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 85mm f1.8 USM | Canon 50mm f1.4 USM | Canon 28mm f1.8 USM | Canon 580EX II | Elinchrom Skyports | Vivitar 283 + 285 flashes...Alien Bees...etc. | Mamiya M645 1000s | Canonet Junior, Bell & Howell Dial-35 + too much other gear...

In the past, I've purchased several things from TriState without issue, though it's probably 2-3 yrs since my last purchase from them.

Like jay says, if it has the standard Canon warranty, and if you have time to test and exchange it, then go for it. You might call them first to check on that, as well as what exactly a refurb lens is. It might just be a lens someone has returned. Or it might be a lens that was sent to Canon for repair (the 70-300 IS had a recall on it when it first came out).
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

My experience would say NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Mainly because even with a canon warrenty, a lens only has to fall within a certain quality benchmark for canon to say that it is ok. I got a lens from an outlet before and it was soft as shi*t. It went back three times and they said that it fell within acceptable tolerences

Anyway, my experience is its just not worth it. I'd father buy second hand from someone that can show me samples from the lens.

Just my opinion though. The shop you speak of might be ok.
    philshoebottom.co.uk | flickr | Vimeo | Twitter

Canon 7D + 20D | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (for sale)

I bought a refurbished Canon 100mm macro and a refurbished Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. Both were in perfect condition. I'd do again.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

I don't have a problem with a refurbed lens, altho I don't own one. I might have a problem with Tristate, especially in their 6 month rating http://www.resellerratings.com/store..._and_Computers
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

I own three refurbished Canon lenses purchased from Adorama. They were "Canon Refurbished" and I couldn't be happier with the quality of them. Each arrived looking like new and only had a gold colored sticker on the rear lens cap that stated "Refurbished" on it. Once the sticker was removed the lenses are impossible to tell from the one that was bought new.

The only gotcha is that the warranty is only 90 days instead of 1 year. But they all still work fine and are over a year old anyway. So even if I had bought them new, they would now be out of warranty.

My advice would be, buy the refurbished lens and enjoy.
    It's the archer not the arrow!

Quote Originally Posted by shoey View Post
    My experience would say NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Mainly because even with a canon warrenty, a lens only has to fall within a certain quality benchmark for canon to say that it is ok. I got a lens from an outlet before and it was soft as shi*t. It went back three times and they said that it fell within acceptable tolerences

Anyway, my experience is its just not worth it. I'd father buy second hand from someone that can show me samples from the lens.

Just my opinion though. The shop you speak of might be ok.
    That has nothing to do with the refurbished question, however, as the manufacturers can say that about any equipment, new or otherwise.

"Refurbished" is not the same as a returned or open-box lens. Refurbished means repaired to as near-new condition as feasible. It could be as simple as replacing simple damaged parts. If the price and warranty is good, go for it.

"Returned" means (generally) the customer did not want it and it has not been used and is complete. This can be resold as new.

"Open box" means there may in fact not be a box - as was the case with my recent laptop :-)

A "demo" means (generally) it was used as a display/hands on testing unit in the store. It may have started "demo" life after being a "return", and can end up "open box" or refurbished" over time.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I'd say a refurb lens was fine if it cost $5. Personally, I'd pay $550 at B&H for a new 70-300 IS. Having said that I'm not so keen on my 70-300 IS. The IS seems to get a bit crazy occasionally and I think I'd have been happier with the 70-200 f4L for the same price.

Smile got my lens!

Got a new one from beach camera for $526, no shipping or tax. It got to me in under 48 hours!!! I felt the price difference was not worth the risk, the used and refurbished lenses were not that much less. So far I love it. Used it at my 4 year old's birthday party and got some good shots. No problem switching it out with my 28-135. My only concern is that the focus ring is so close to the zoom ring. When on autofocus and in the process of zooming I can sometimes feel the focus ring turning. I have concerns that my finger could stop the focus ring and damage the lens.