Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PSA probably a repeat, but here goes

I learned something interesting and kind of disheartening today. I got a "real good deal" on an S5, 1gb sd, and case for $335. I remembered something I read about canon outsourcing some production to China so they can produce more units cheaper, so before I opened my new toy I checked the box and was upset to find it was MADE IN CHINA! I called a local specialized photography store, they confirmed the practice, and told me the S5's they had in stock were all MADE IN JAPAN. I had to do some investigation for myself, so I went to bextbye, again, only to learn they stock the M.I.C. models. So I got a real good feel for the camera while I was there, took a few pics. Then I went to Murfees to closely inspect the M.I.J. model and I have to tell you there IS a noticeable difference in build quality, and I would be surprised if there is not a noticeable difference in image quality. I am frustrated, but glad to have sorted all this out before I opened the box. I will be sending my Chinese POS back and spending $45 more for the Japanese unit at my local photo store. I'm sure all you senior members know about this practice, so if you have any interesting tidbits or personal experiences to add please enlighten the rest of us!

TheMayer

My girlfriend was made in China, and I definitely prefer her to a made in Japan model.

But that's just me

Seriously though, the 3 year old Compaq laptop I'm typing this on is also MIC and has been totally reliable. I don't see why a made-in-China model of any digital camera or lens (or any piece of consumer electronics for that matter) would be less well made/reliable than the equivalent Japan-made model, unless cost-cutting measures in materials were undertaken at the same time that production was moved from Japan to China (which may very well have been done, judging from your experience).
    Sam

Nikon D80, D300s, Nikkormat EL, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 55-200mm f4-f5.6 VR AF-S Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D Nikkor, 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q pre-AI, Hanimex 35mm f2.8 doorstop

www.flickr.com/photos/swpars

Quote Originally Posted by swpars View Post
    My girlfriend was made in China, and I definitely prefer her to a made in Japan model.
    LOL

I seriously doubt there's a difference. I'd wager you couldn't tell the difference in a blind test. Besides, "Made in Japan" only means it was assembled there. Who knows where the parts were made? China? Taiwan? Malaysia? Korea? But if you get peace of mind for only $45, more power to you.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    I seriously doubt there's a difference.
    But if you get peace of mind for only $45, more power to you.
    I agree completely. Build quality is not really an issue with electronics sourced from China, Malaysia, Korea, etc for major manufacturers.

I can tell

Well I don't know what else to say other than to hold them, see them, and use them I can tell a difference. Even the plastic that the cases are made from is noticeably different. The China one looks like it has glitter in it and is a dark shade of gray. The one from Japan is a uniform black color. I am certain that if you set one of each in front of me without any stickers specifying their origin I could tell you which one was made in China and which one was from Japan. I am not embarrassed to say that $45 is worth some peace of mind. It might not be if I could not see an obvious difference between the two but I could.

I am certainly not suggesting that anything and everything made in China is inferior to it's Japanese counterpart, it's just that $400 is still a lot of money to me and I don't spend a lot of money on anything without doing my own sort of research and this is what I have found in the course of deciding which camera to buy and from whom and from what country of origin.

themayer

Sorry guys

I don't know if this is necessary, but I want to apologize for starting this thread. While I could tell a difference I think I should have kept it to myself, There probably is NO difference in image quality between the two. I found and bought a M.I.J. unit, and am happy I did so. But in retrospect I would hate to think this thread would cause anyone to feel they own an inferior camera just because they read this and then found the word China on the bottom of their camera. I AM A NOOB. PLEASE KNOW THIS NOW THAT YOU HAVE GOTTEN TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS THREAD! Also please note the date of the post though, as I don't intend to be a noob forever!!!

TheMayer

No, it isn't necessary to apologize. And no, you didn't make me feel that anything I own that was made in China is inferior. And finally, I wasn't being sarcastic when I wrote that if $45 brings you peace of mind, then more power to you.

Now go and take some great pictures, and post 'em!
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

good

Another thing, I ended up finding it at CircuitCity for $339! As far as posting pics.. as soon as I get comfortable with the manual controls you guys are probably going to get sick of me. I can hardly contain my excitement!

TheMayer

China makes about 1/2 of everything these days. At one time, Japanese goods were felt to have the superior quality of Asian goods. However, I don't think that is necessarily the case anymore.

A few thing I have...

Budget Samsung laser printer - Korea. Works great.
    Samsung Digital TV - Korea. Works great.
    Epson 4990 scanner...Indonesia. Works great.
    Zenith DVR - Korea. Seems to work great after warranty service. (Have not used the troublesome feature - "record" - in a long time, though. LOL.)
    Panasonic home stereo - China. Works great.
    Bose speakers - Mexico (yes, I know it is not in Asia...). Love them.
    Not sure about my "Empower" computer...but works great.

Egads - my Pentax camera is "assembled" in the Phillipines - and has a Vietnamese lens on it at the moment.

I think crap can come from anywhere, but so can good stuff.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Hahaha

I've just been sifting through the introduce yourself thread. AdamW you have such costume versatility. If I didn't know it was you I'm not sure I would have caught that you were the same person in both pics (but I can tell the country of origin for the S5!)

TheMayer