Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

rangerrandy Guest

Pentax K100 Super or K10D and the Nikon D40 or D80

I am looking to get a digital SLR camera upgrade from a Canon PowerShot S3. After doing a lot of internet searching for cameras, I have narrowed down to four cameras to the Pentax K100 Super or K10D and the Nikon D40 or D80.

Budget
    $1000 for body and a 70 mm to 300 mm lenses, not sure if I will get a kit lenses

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? Not to heavy or big, but want to be able to hand hold a 300mm lenses and I might upgrade later to a 500mm lense. Therefore I need a SLR body that can hold these big lenses.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? At least 6

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 9

Do you care for manual controls? yes, but would like auto settings too

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    I will be using this camera for my annual adventure trips. This year, I going to Costa Rica and really want to be able to take good pictures of frogs and waterfalls, which will be in low light conditions. So, I need a camera that will hold up well in a variety of environments and condition including rain and very humid areas. In addition, I take lots of animal, landscape, and bird pictures thought-out the year.
    I am looking for a camera that also has bracketing, so that I can learn better manual controls.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Mostly 4x6’s and 8x10’s until I learn the camera and a couple of bigger pictures from each adventure trip.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? I am interested in Pentax or Nikon, because I have a butch of SD cards and can get extra SD cards easier then CF cards. I don’t care for Canon cameras and would prefer not to buy another Canon.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Pentax K100 Super or K10D and the Nikon D40 or D80.

Do you need any of the following special features?
    Wide Angle: yes
    Image Stabilization: yes,
    Weatherproof: would be nice
    Hotshoe: yes
    Rotating LCD: no

I need a SLR will have a good section of lenses as I will want to in the future buy at least a wide angle lenses, a couple of zoom lenses going up to a 500mm, and possible a macro lenses. I plan to keep this camera at least 5 years and will upgrade to a better body when the time comes. I will be buying this camera in two weeks, so that I can leran my camer for my Costa Rica trip in March.

Thanks for the help
    Randy

A couple things. Pentax doesn't currently have a very good selection of telephoto lenses so you should consider that. Why are you eliminating Canon? I hope it's more than CF flash cards. This is a $1000 investment (to start ), memory type is minor. I'm also confused by your needs. You say you want to spend $1000 for a body and a 70-300mm lens. Then you say you like landscapes and wide angle? Do you want a wide angle or no?
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I believe only the Pentax K10D is weather-sealed out of your list. Body-only is $520 (after USA rebate). Weather-sealed Pentax lenses (16-50 f2.8 and 50-135 f2.8) start at about $800.

Non-weather sealed, the K100D Super includes in-body stabilization. Can use a Sigma 70-300 APO budget zoom for about $229, Sigma 10-20 wide angle for about $475, Sigma 17-70 for about $380, and Sigma 30 f1.4 as a normal low-light prime (I forget the cost off hand). Many other lens choices, including...Pentax.

Those same lenses can be uses with Nikon and Canon, though you will not have any stabilization.

Nikon has an inexpensive 55-200 VR zoom, though.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/