Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PIXEL SIZE WOULD STILL BE THE SAME IF THEY GO WITH THEIR 18 mp plan...

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Yes ... I do see your point ... but, just for grins ... WHAT IF they have successfully come up with a real 100% FF-SSS solution (no crop)? I still believe C&N will have a lot of 'splaining to do with their share-holders when the up and coming "PRO-market" just ups and leaves the expensive IS-equipped glass behind.
    So, Don - how would Sony engineer a 100% full-frame camera (no sensor cropping) with sensor shift image stabilization? How would that be done?
    Sam

Nikon D80, D300s, Nikkormat EL, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 55-200mm f4-f5.6 VR AF-S Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D Nikkor, 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q pre-AI, Hanimex 35mm f2.8 doorstop

www.flickr.com/photos/swpars

Cool What I think is possible ...

Since you've asked, Sam ... I suppose "high-speed, outer-edge sensor sampling" might be a possibility, where the sensor is sampled several times during the shot and then recompiled to reconstruct the entire sensor image, by quickly aligning and matching the center pixels up ... then lopping off (truncating) the ones that do not fit on the full-sized sensor. It would be akin to "layering" the image and then flattening it, much like we already do (at a much slower rate) with Photoshop Tools. It would be a quite novel approach, in my estimation ... relying less on the physical movement of the sensor and more on the recompiling of the outer image as it is recorded. A pseudo-image becoming a solid-image. You just need one whopper of a storage buffer. Video processor speeds are well within this minor video input-output operation.

Sounds cool, doesn't it? More high-tech than the current barbaric inertia-inspired anti-shaker.

But, hey ... I'm just an old prototype-engineering tech from IIT ... what the heck do I know? SONY never asked me how to do it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-19-2007 at 10:28 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The problem will be that the edges/corners may be without (enough) light during part of the exposure time. So, those parts of the photo will be severely under-exposed.

You can try to detect that, and then do what one might try to do with severely underexposed images. Lightening gradually towards that corner, adjusting the contrast, and trying to bring the saturation upto spec.

That would mean the JPEG writing times go down a lot, and the RAW either would not be RAW (like with Nikon now too, they apply processing before the NEF is written), or one would need to use the Sony supplied RAW conversion software that would "fix" the corners.
    This will mean that the fixed edges never will get the quality that one would have without SSS. More noise, less contrast and saturation.

Or a faster way would be to just "guess" the edges, filling in with what was there before the darkening/vignetting. Like Photoshop can do when you straighten a photo.

My guess remains that if Sony will put a full frame sensor in the "A900", in full frame mode SSS would just not be available. It should be aimed at Minolta professionals (the few remaining ones that make do with the 7D or still shoot film), and then IQ into the edges simply does matter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Red face Shhh ... don't anyone say anything ...

Wow ... not too much feedback on this issue, huh? LOL

It's a whole new world out there ... with digital.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i refuse to believe that they can never make in body IS even on FF. maybe not this time around, but surely, somehwere, technology will be good enuf and some smart dude will come up with a way.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i refuse to believe that they can never make in body IS even on FF. maybe not this time around, but surely, somehwere, technology will be good enuf and some smart dude will come up with a way.
    One does not have to be smart for that at ALL.
    Just use a wider lens mount that is not designed for 135 film. Simple.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Thumbs up PMA 08 Opens TODAY!

Will the α900 finally arrive?

Man, this is rough. I found this early "dream ad", from after PMA 2007 ... and now SONY has made the Full Frame even better ... with a 24.82 MP sensor. Good lord, it's a far cry from the α700's 12MP, huh?

Name:  241098692-S.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  34.8 KB

I guess we shall see what we shall see. A lot of work has gone into this and if SSS (Super SteadyShot™) ever had a "golden shot" at Canikon's groin ... this has to be it!

Oh, there are some that say it's a "flash in the pan" ... but, then again ... think of the thousands of dollars about to be saved with not having to worry about mounting IS-equipped lenses on your Full Framed DSLR. Wow ... can you say ... "price-drop?" Oh, go ahead ... I know you can ... Hey, try this phrase ... "improved marketshare" ... go ahead, say it three times, real fast! Just to get it over with ... nuk, nuk, nuk.

And just to make matters slightly worse yet ... what if the thing comes in under $3500? OMG ... can you imagine that sucking sound with all the heavy-duty shutter-bugs as they get ready to ... well, expose their collective surprise?

Well, until it happens, we're safe, right? Right?

If it does, let's see it through ... together, all of you about-to-be SONY converts.

As one of the Democrat candidates is so fond of saying, "Change ... we can believe in"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-30-2008 at 10:50 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Something showed up ... and an announcement

Well, parts of the "Flagship" camera were at the show ...

Very important parts ... the heart ... the eyes ... some of the nervous system:

Name:  SSS FF DIsplay.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  SSS Sensor close-up.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  43.0 KB
    Thanks to Imaging Resource for these PMA 08 images

So ... again, we wait. Hopefully, not too long, this time.

Here's the direct link to the SONY Flagship as it stands, today (Note the clever location of the pc-sync port and the top LCD window).
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-31-2008 at 02:59 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Media Conference video

"Flagship" progress was only offered by word of mouth and a few displays (no working bodies) ... and the feeling is that it will actually be realeased to the public by Photokina, in Cologne, Germany. Personally, Id like to do some proto-type testing, here in Chicago.

Oh well, I just wanted to get that out there. LOL

Here's the PMA 08 Media CONFERENCE concerning the release. Don't pass out when he get's to some of the lens pricing. Obviously, they must be considering some other market than the USA. LOL Unlesss something really changes in CameraLand , I suspect they may never get that marketshare from Canikon trying to boost lenses at those prices. It's almost weird.

70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM - $2000
    24-70mm f/2.8 G SSM - $1700
    70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM - $800

just to start off ... not out of my wallet, pal! I already popped for a $2000 "sealed" SONY lens and wound up having to send it back. Two-months of tied-up funds. Purchased in October, last year, I'm still clearing the paperwork from my MasterCard. I might be intrigued at 75% of those prices, but no way at full boat. There are just too many great third-party lens that can offer a decent shot. I offer the TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD, which is a classic and tack sharp. Cost: $349

I suppose if I were able to lop it off as a business expense, there might be something to these inflated costs ... but as a hobbiest ... hah!

TAMRON announced a forthcoming SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD (<= click here) ... which is direct competition for the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. Makes sense, as the TAMRON SP AF 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Di-II LD just is not a hit with any crowd.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-01-2008 at 12:01 PM.

flickr & Sdi