Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Flagship (A900?) release-announcement?

Has anyone caught wind of some upcoming "Full Frame" release-announcement coming from SONY, prior to PMA 2008?

Name:  Flagship_Model_cb_med.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  45.7 KB

The buzz is up ... so I ask: "When? Where?" ... and, of course, "how much?"

This could be the killer-shot heard 'round the world ... or, just another monster-sensor, full-frame introduction. LOL
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

It will be interesting to see the engineering solution that Sony uses to integrate a full-frame sensor and in-body image (sensor shift) stabilization.
    Sam

Nikon D80, D300s, Nikkormat EL, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 55-200mm f4-f5.6 VR AF-S Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D Nikkor, 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q pre-AI, Hanimex 35mm f2.8 doorstop

www.flickr.com/photos/swpars

Wink SSS - in a full frame (revolutionary, if true)

I can think of at least one member of the DCRP that will be extremely interested. LOL

... and he doesn't even own a SONY.

And they said, "It couldn't be done." I've heard it before ... and we shall see.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-19-2007 at 07:34 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Haha, too funny Don. I saw you wondering out loud on dyxum how SSS could work with full frame. And some Minolta fan boy told you off about it, without explaining why is was so weird to think it would not be possible.

Anyway.. the only way they can make a DSLR with A mount full frame AND have SSS, is to have the camera be a cropped camera (like 1.3x or so) while SSS is activated, and have no SSS while in full frame mode.

Simply looking at your full frame film Dynax will make you understand why. Look at how big the mirror is in the mirror box.
    Know that the sensor of the KM 7D can move 5mm up, down, left, right.
    So... we know that the mirror box, AND the image circle of the full frame lenses, are make to exactly just fit the 36mm wide full frame film.
    So... 5 mm from the left, 5mm from the right. 5mm up, 5mm down.

Worst case scenario:
    The sensor moves 5cm to a side and up. So... the corner moves out of the image circle more than 5mm, say 7mm.

So... the sensor needs to be... 14mm less wide than 36mm. That makes 22mm. Yikes, that is APS-C territory.

So... lets assume you do not really move the full 5 mm ever.
    Suppose it is just 2mm max. Then the 3mm into the corner (moving both horizontally and vertically) would give a 30mm wide sensor.

1/30 * 36 = 1.2. So 1.2x crop + SSS then should be possible.

One does not need to be a rocket scientist to understand the physical limitations... full frame + SSS just does not fit.

Anyway, after reading that silly stuff on Dyxum, I googled, since I know you will never take my word or logic.

Here is a guy with the exact same view:
    http://alphatracks.com/archives/81
    Last edited by coldrain; 12-19-2007 at 04:45 PM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

the one pictured is bigger than the 700.......personally i could do without the stabilization

the one pictured is bigger than the 700.......personally i could do without the stabilization

Why debate ... it's either IS or it ISn't, right?

I really am no longer interested in the debate ... I just want to see it, to be quite honest.

I do understand the physical restrictions of a full-frame SSS.

If SONY has actually found a way to work this out, we are all in for a major shock, eh?

And, I would suppose you will finally make the Full-Frame migration to the better choice, Coldrain ... and leave your dog-eared Canon to the ashes of photographic history.

My God, that does sound a bit presumptuous, doesn't it?

Ah, what the heck ... SSS in Full-Frame can't happen, right? You're safe ... for the time being.

BTW: What would YOU (of all people) be doing on Dyxum? Isn't that the "lost and forgotten land of old technology?" To be honest, I was playing Devil's Advocate when I put that open-thoughtline up to just actually see what would shake out. I used a bunch of coincidental issues to try and create a new idea. It would appear that there is no one "in the know" on the board ... or they are just keeping quiet. I have to admit, it was a pretty fantastic (extreme ... not great) brain-storm when I look back on it. Too bad I couldn't bait a decent response. If it really does exist (SSS on FF), this very well could be one of the best kept secrets of the early 21st-Century ... and an incredible technological embarrasment to the other major players. I know if I were the CEO and making these cameras ... me and the ol' Engineering Department would be having some serious discussions about who's keeping their job, this year (2007, not 2008). LOL

GO SONY ... make our day!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-19-2007 at 08:55 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    If it really does exist (SSS on FF), this very well could be one of the best kept secrets of the early 21st-Century ... and an incredible technological embarrasment to the other major players. I know if I were the CEO and making these cameras ... me and the ol' Engineering Department would be having some serious discussions about who's keeping their job, this year (2007, not 2008). LOL

GO SONY ... make our day!
    why would it cause such embarressment ? C&N have chosen to remain to with in-lens IS. judging by the amount of IS lens' hitting the market place lately in consumer and pro grade, (by 3rd parties aswell), the signs are that they are going to stay with in-lens solutions for the forseeable future.

if anything, sony are the ones that should be embarressed if they CAN'T do it. they are the ones that have elected to go with in-body IS. now they have to prove thats a viable alternative in a FF camera aswell as an aps-c. if they can;t make it viable then they have 4 choices...forget FF and go with a max 1.3 sensor, not such a bad proposition in the short term...but will lose alot of pro prestige and what about long term ? have a pro camera without SSS and make SSS lens', (what a mess !), don;t bother about SSS for pros, (not a good idea !), or forget SSS and move to in-lens SSS...ah there you go...back where we started.
    Last edited by Rooz; 12-19-2007 at 08:40 PM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Lightbulb Take stock in the future ... it may just pay for your gear

Yes ... I do see your point ... but, just for grins ... WHAT IF they have successfully come up with a real 100% FF-SSS solution (no crop)? I still believe C&N will have a lot of 'splaining to do with their share-holders when the up and coming "PRO-market" just ups and leaves the expensive IS-equipped glass behind.

Do we have a killer-rig on the horizon? If so, man, where's that SONY stock going to go, next? I know I'll be pretty hot for one of these FF-SSS beauties ... and I'm just doing this for fun.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-19-2007 at 08:57 PM.

flickr & Sdi