Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon EOS Rebel XTi - general questions about the 'P' dial option

Hey, I just got my canon rebel xti and just had some general questions about its functions when the dial is on 'P':

- What exactly is option 'P'? Is it just like 'Auto', but with more flexibility in terms of its shooting options?

- AF Mode - There's One shot, AI focus, and AI servo - I'm just trying to grasp what the MAIN difference is between AI focus and AI servo. My initial thought was that AI servo can handle movement better and focus faster than AI focus...?

- This also brings me to the Continuous shooting option - I would assume when shooting in continuous mode, I would change AF mode to AI servo for better focusing on moving objects - which further makes me wonder about the difference between AF focus and AF servo.

- Selecting the AF point - So on auto, all the points are on and it just focuses on the closest point, but the problem is that sometimes it may not focus on the point you want it to focus on. Is this where the manual option of changing the AF point comes in? Is this the only reason why someone would manually adjust the AF point? What circumstances (examples would be nice) (Choosing just one AF point doesn't seem too practical - I'm assuming someone would only use this when they have the time to adjust the AF point.?)

- Picture Style - For Landscape, Portrait, and Standard, it's the same thing as setting it automatically by turning the dial - so what's the difference for changing it with the dial on 'P'? I'm thinking it's the flexibility of exposure and such right?

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. I will probably have more as I learn more about this camera. Thanks again.

You're asking a LOT of questions there, but the short answer is;

Servo tracks auto focus constantly. Instead of locking auto focus when you half press the shutter button, servo will auto focus the entire time you're half pressing the button. Auto focus works by looking at the entire scene and judging the contrast. So if you were to look at a scene, and there's a flesh tone that catches your eye, with the rest of the scene being a mountain background, your eye would "focus" on the flesh tone. Whatever is in front of the red dot on the viewfinder is what you're telling the camera to focus on in contrast to the rest of the scene. Cameras aren't intelligent, they can only tell what you're focusing on when it differs from the rest of the scene you're shooting.

An auto focus point has a LOT of different uses. A lot of times you don't want your subject in the center of the frame. So you pick an auto focus point that isn't the center. Or your subject is moving, and you select an auto focus that is ahead of where you want to actually capture the frame.

It would do you a lot of good to ignore P mode and actually learn a little bit about photography and just set it to manual mode.

Quote Originally Posted by jcanon701 View Post
    Picture Style - For Landscape, Portrait, and Standard, it's the same thing as setting it automatically by turning the dial - so what's the difference for changing it with the dial on 'P'? I'm thinking it's the flexibility of exposure and such right
    Frankenstein say "Arrrraggghhhh!!!! Picture Style baaaaad!!!!! Av, Tv or Manual Mode goooood".
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.