Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

OK folks...walk me through it. Concert pictures

I have a fuji S6000. I know there was a post on here about concert pictures but I can't find it.....
    I managed to score 2 tickets to hannah montanna....my dd will be thrilled...it is a surprise. I need to get good pictures because I think this is a true once in a life time outting. DD is 12 and I am sure in another year this won't be kewl.....
    We have great seats! First level, row 8 seats 1 and 2! We are close to the end of the floor seating and lightly to the side......

So walk me through the camera settings...talk basic...simple I am dense not camera swavy.........I don't think I can bring a tripod....
    I have a very steady hand and have gotten some nice night shots.....but I hear this chick moves quickly......

So help me make this night even better with great pictures! We go next week!

I'd use Aperture mode and ....
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34493
    It's for F30 but the techniques would still be the same. Please read it and do LOTS of test shooting at home in different lighting to make sure you got it.
    And post any questions if you are not clear.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Concert photography is tough, and I'm definitely no expert. Maybe some real experts will chime in soon

The main trouble with concerts is that they are both low-light and high-speed situations. You need to get in enough light to see the subject, but keep the shutter speed short enough that the moving subject isn't just a blur.

tim11 gave you a great thread. I agree, put your aperture at the lowest number possible, probably put your ISO at the highest number possible, and shoot at no longer than 1/40 sec if Hannah is moving around. The shorter shutter speed you can get, the less blur you'll have. If you are able to go much higher than 1/60, though, you might want to lower your ISO instead so that you get less noise.

Have fun, and as they say in the other thread, PRACTICE before you go! Let your dh dance around in the living room with only one or two lamps on, try to take pictures, and see how it goes
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Thanks...I started to read the thread. I hope I can get a few good shots. Will have to spend tomorrow playing with it more.

ok I think I am ready...I practiced not sure how it will go...
    But here is one more question....should I have my camera set at the highest quality or the next size down? One is abigger file......I usually have it on the second one. BUt incase I need to crop or do some editing I thought i might need to keep it bigger.

Flash memory is cheap, always shoot at the highest resolution if you can.

You can always reduce a large image to smaller one without losing quality. You can't enlarge a small image without losing clarity and quality. So... I always use large and best quality possible.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Had the most amazing time...watching my daughter was just truly priceless!
    I got some great shots. BUt I must confess I paniced...So I just played with the different preset modes...but I will admit I have some fanastic pictures! I started a thread...I will add more...but they seem to take for ever to upload to photobucket!
    Thanks everyone!