Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Take a look at the SD800 IS, too. It's an older model, but can be found a bit cheaper.

As for the A-series, I'd say the A570 IS is a better value. If you really want a bit of extra telephoto, go with the A720 IS.

The F50fd vs. A720 thing is sort of subjective. If you're shooting in lowlight, the F50fd wins hands down (if you bring the mp down). But the A720 has full manual controls, optical viewfinder (if that's important to you), and support for AA batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by zero_0_zero View Post
    Take a look at the SD800 IS, too. It's an older model, but can be found a bit cheaper.

As for the A-series, I'd say the A570 IS is a better value. If you really want a bit of extra telephoto, go with the A720 IS.

The F50fd vs. A720 thing is sort of subjective. If you're shooting in lowlight, the F50fd wins hands down (if you bring the mp down). But the A720 has full manual controls, optical viewfinder (if that's important to you), and support for AA batteries.
    Such tough choices. D: I like having so many options, but it's hard to pick just one.

How do you bring the MP down in a camera (is it simple and easy to find in the options//settings)? Is that the image resolution setting.. or?

I'd pick the F50fd right away if it had an optical viewfinder (it's not essential to me, but I think I read in a review that it helps when it's really bright outside and there's glare on the LCD or something..), and I heard that the odd curves of it keep it from being placed stable on a flat surface and then turning on the self-timer.

The other cameras seem great, but a little too bulky and won't fit in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by misterjuju View Post
    How do you bring the MP down in a camera (is it simple and easy to find in the options//settings)? Is that the image resolution setting.. or?
    Yes, it's just a simple setting on the menus. Keep in mind this won't help the noise problem in any meaningful way. The problem is in the pixel size on the CCD, changing the resolution doesn't help that. It only saves disk space.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Yes, it's just a simple setting on the menus. Keep in mind this won't help the noise problem in any meaningful way. The problem is in the pixel size on the CCD, changing the resolution doesn't help that. It only saves disk space.
    xD Okay so I confused the image resolution with the megapixel setting.

The megapixel setting will fix the noise problem, correct?

xD Okay so I confused the image resolution with the megapixel setting.

Nope, they're the same thing. The advice earlier in this thread was, IMO, wrong. The sensor is the problem, all images are initially taken with the full sensor. If you only want an 8 MP image the camera throws away some pixels and merges others. But the noise doesn't really go away.

The F40 will still take cleaner images.

---
    Experts say it doesn't.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Nope, they're the same thing. The advice earlier in this thread was, IMO, wrong. The sensor is the problem, all images are initially taken with the full sensor. If you only want an 8 MP image the camera throws away some pixels and merges others. But the noise doesn't really go away.

The F40 will still take cleaner images.
    So should I go with the F40? The only thing I'm worried about is that it doesn't have image stabilization, and I don't know if I can hold the camera still enough .

So should I go with the F40? The only thing I'm worried about is that it doesn't have image stabilization, and I don't know if I can hold the camera still enough .
    Then your simple answer is...get the Fuji F50fd which has image staiblization and be done with it! Do I have to tell everyone what to do around here?

Unless you're printing 8x10 or larger, you'll never even notice the image noise difference between the f40 and f50.

Last edited by JTL; 12-18-2007 at 08:52 PM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Quote Originally Posted by JTL View Post
    Then your simple answer is...get the Fuji F50fd which has image staiblization and be done with it! Do I have to tell everyone what to do around here?

Unless you're printing 8x10 or larger, you'll never even notice the image noise difference between the f40 and f50.

Nice, thank you for your help. I don't think I'm going to be printing at 8x10 or larger. Even if I wanted to, the noise problem could be fixed (or at least made a little better), through Adobe Photoshop, correct?

I'll have to disagree about the idea that the F40fd is still better in low light than the F50fd. If lowering the megapixels on the F50fd doesn't resize them, what does it do? It certainly doesn't crop them to 8 mp.
    If you downsize a photo, it will be sharper and less noisy, since the noise is smaller and not as easy to see.