Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Question nikkor 180mm f2.8 with a D40

I picked up a nikkor 180 mm f2.8 lens on Ebay and they guy said it would work on a D40 in full manual mode. I tried using it on my D40 in manual mode and I can't get it to take photos. I can't get a fast shutter speed with it, either it is very long shutter or it stays open until I shut off the camera. I did go out this afternoon to take pictures so I can check the lens out so I am in a slight time crunch.

I'll mostly use this lens taking photos of my kid at soccer in late evening/night.

I guess what I'm after, and may help other newb's, is a short primer on using this (or others lens) in full manual mode.

also, how hard should it be to focus as compared to my nikon 50-200 VR and where could I get a manual for it ?

thanks,
    bob

edit: I did read the D40 manual and it didn't help any
    Last edited by bobc4d; 12-15-2007 at 01:53 PM.
    Nikon D40 18-55mm kit
    Nikkor AF-S DX VR 55-200mm f/4 -f/5.6
    Nikkor 180mm F2.8 AI

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding" - Albert Einstein

hmm, not quite folloiwng exactly what the problem is. the lens should work fine, (albeit without AF), on the d40.

if i'm not mistaken, you should also be able to shoot in any mode you like, not necessarily fully manual. Ap and Sp should still work as intended. when you say you can;t get a faster shutter speed are you sure thats just becasue you aren't in an area with low light conditions so you can;t actually GET a higher shutter speed for corect exposure.

i don't know this lens very well. does it have a lockable aperture ring on the lens itself like say 50mmf1.8 which needs to be locked down for full operation ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

never mind, operator error. what I was doing is going the wrong direction with the command dial and not being able to access the faster shutter speeds. I was able to take some inside photos. I'm going to have to try it again tomorrow to give the lens a good ring out.

thanks for the response Rooz. I appreciate all the help
    Last edited by bobc4d; 12-15-2007 at 06:56 PM.
    Nikon D40 18-55mm kit
    Nikkor 180mm F2.8 AI

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding" - Albert Einstein

OHS! that will do it all the time bobc4d, lol. glad you found out the problem... I had a brain freeze and could not remember how the 50mm had to be positioned I think it was f/22... turns out that would have got you going in the right direction. Rooz, beat to it before my brain thawed. lol enjoy.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

yeah I get these blonde senior moments (I'm both) LOL

I appreciate the forums so I can post these dunce questions, it is a fun hobby, if not a humbling one.

thanks,
    peace,
    bob
    Nikon D40 18-55mm kit
    Nikkor 180mm F2.8 AI