Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question What is your favorite lens?

Obviously, most us us are limited in what we shoot with ... and for the SONY, a lot of it may just be "inherited glass" from Minolta cameras, which is a great return on that investment. You might even have several new SONY or SONY-mount lenses, to choose from.

So, bearing that in mind: What is your favorite lens to use on your SONY (the lens is probably on it most of the time)?

Also ... why do you like it?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-24-2007 at 09:30 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickrŪ & Sdi

Bought a second hand Sigma 70-300mm with the 1,4 x ring, itīs making 420mm wich is very good so i removed the DT 18-70mm for a while.
    Lovely results for the tests i made this weekend.
    150 euros for the 70-300 and 20 euros for the 1,4 x conversor.
    Last edited by Djzleite; 10-29-2007 at 02:08 PM.
    Sony A100 + DT18-70mm + Sigma 70-300mm with 1,4 Conversor.

i only have the 18-200mm currently and i enjoy it pretty well, however in the next few weeks i'm picking up the sony 50mm 2.8 macro and i am endlessly excited about it and it will quickly become my favourite i'm sure.
    Sony DSLRA100 w/ SAL18200
    Sony DSCW7B
    Sony DSCW80

Sigma 10-20...

This is my favorite lens, primarily for shooting architectural elements and people from unusual angles, dancing, etc. It doesn't distort the straight lines, unlike a fisheye. People at the edges can get a bit distorted, but it's an awesome lens and gives my wedding coverage a unique look.

The Sony and Tamron equivalents have 7 blades instead of 6, so the aperture is more circular. This will give a better defocused background, but in these lenses, they have a very broad depth of field, so not a lot of defocusing going on there.

The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is great for portraits and small groups too, as a prime lens. I use it a lot, because it works out to around 50mm on the Sony.

The new Tamron 18-250 zoom is a great "vacation lens", with great quality and covering a huge zoom range. Very lightweight and plasticky, and does exhibit some purple fringing in high contrast areas such as trees against sky.

good ol 58 1.4
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 01-11-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Thumbs up Modern rules!

I have to say, for my money ... the best all-around lens I've had the pleasure of using on the SONY APS-C has been the TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF). It was also one of my favorites for the Canon EOS 20D, when I was using it.

I've shot a few ... but for just having the dynamic range to do most shooting (that's both aperture and useful focal length), this is my pick. YMMV

Name:  fav-lens.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  229.2 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-21-2007 at 08:28 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickrŪ & Sdi