Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Is Sony 18-200 lens an OK lens?

The bundled package of the a700 with the Sony 18-200 seems like a good deal. With its zoom range, I think the lens would do 95 percent of all I would need and make a great walk around lens. But sometimes reviewers dismiss "kit" lenses and suggest buying the body and lens separately. Any comments on this lens?

Also--and please forgive me for a dumb question--can any polarizing filter be used on this lens?

Lightbulb one person's review

Well, I can speak for the TAMRON 18-200mm I used on the Canon EOS 20D. It served as a terrific wide range lens, but you shouldn't be convinced it will deliver the best image the camera can take. It simply covers a wide range with some compromises by doing so. If you can live with those compromises, then it should serve you well for a lot of your work.

Although I originally bought my EOS 20D with an 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 kit lens, I quickly retired that rather limited lens and went with the 18-200mm. So, I effectively started up, digitally, with this lens and very soon found myself wanting to be able to do more with the camera, such as low-light photography. This lens will not do that. I had to break it up into a pair of f/2.8 lens, the TAMRON 17-50mm f/2.8 and the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM. I still kept the 18-200 as a "walk-around", but it got less and less use.

Since then ... I bought the TAMRON 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 for use on either my SONY α100/α700. It definitely is a bit better in length and offers a pretty good looking shot, also. Coupled with the image-stabilixation ... it performs much better on the SONY than on the Canon/Nikon. Once again, a "walk-around" lens for my lightweight "grab & go" concept, using a smaller camera bag, which I have my α100 with the 18-250 lens usually mounted on it.

I spend a little more time with the α700, stowing it in a sling bag, using a Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 (mounted) and packing the TAMRON 17-50mm f/2.8. I also pack the SONY 50mm f/1.4 for the really low light stuff ... and have tossed in the HVL-F56AM flash. The remainder of my lenses reside in a backpack for the serious runs.

So ... if the SONY 18-200 acts anything like the TAMRON (since TAMRON produces them both) I believe it is a good choice (much better than the 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6), low-cost entry and will serve you well ... until your lens selection is built up to do more.

If you want to get way ahead of the game, though, skip all this and go with the

Carl Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 DT (<- click here for review).

This comes under the heading of a superior lens ... with a price to match.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-15-2007 at 09:51 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

they are good for one thing...too sell your old 100 alpha with