Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Portable hard drive?

I have a DSC-W1 with a 256MB memory stick and I went to a party where I have taken more than 100 shots. I already reduced my resolution to 3MP so as to extend the number of shots. 256MB of memory still is not enough. At that point, I thought of a device that is a handheld and compact enough to carry around or in a bag where I can download all the images from the memory stick. That way, I can use 1 memory stick then download to this device and start with a fresh, blank memory stick again. Is there such a device that I am not aware of? Ipods sounds similar but then I don't have it so I don't know much about it if this has the capability I mentioned. All I know is that Ipods were not built for that kind of functionality (I could be wrong).

There are a few as a group they are called 'digital wallets'. There are also portable standalone CD burners available. Both types of devices will cost you between $150 and 500. At that price they are not worth buying for a single day event, but if you are taking a week long trip away from a PC then they become worthwhile. Even though MemoryStick is a bit pricier than other media you sould still buy a few more 256MB cards for $150.

Thanks for your input. I agree with you if this digital wallets cost more than to buy another 256MB memory flash.

Absolutely none of the portable drives will cost you even close to an extra 1GB card. There are a few MP3 players (and some portable video players) that are adding card copying capability. In those cases if you are in the market for sucha toy spend the time to find one that will let you copy memory cards. But I have only seen one for around $200 that would allow this. It is MobiBLU at CompUSA for $229.99. It only has a slot for SD/MMC cards.