Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Need Suggestions Fisheye lens

Need Suggestions Fisheye lens for my A100 any help greatly appreciated.

Sigma will come out with two fish eye lenses for APS-C, and they should be available with Minolta/Sony lens mount. I do not know if you can wait a bit for them?

http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_...37&navigator=6
    http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_...36&navigator=6

And a full frame 8mm one:
    http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_...19&navigator=4

Look up the prices in your country, the website prices from sigma always are way too high.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Whoops, I see thw 4.5mm circular and 10mm are not going to be available in Sony mount version.

Maybe time to switch camera brands?

For Nikon and Canon they are available, and also the Tokina 10-17mm zoom fisheye!
    http://www.thkphoto.com/products/tok...107afdx-a.html

A Canon EOS 400D(XTi)/30D/40D would be a very nice alternative to your Sony A100, opening up a huge range of interesting lenses you do not have with the Sony.

Anyway, for your Sony there still is that full frame 8mm fisheye available (if you can locate it).
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

can anyone suggest either of the 11-18 or the 16mm fisheye - one over the other.

i am still considering which specialty lens to go with and i'm wondering if anyone has experience with these two in particular, and which one is a better overall for extreme wide angles.
    Sony DSLRA100 w/ SAL18200
    Sony DSCW7B
    Sony DSCW80

Cool 11-18mm

My personal experience with the TAMRON SP AF 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Di-II LD lens comes from the one I had mounted on the EOS 20D. The lens gets the job done, but under 14mm, the distortion becomes pretty noticeable. It will work for indoor shots with the caveat that you will need a wider flash than the pop-up, if it is not a sunlit room.

Any filters on the front of the lens will produce noticeable vignetting. A stack will make it look like you are shooting down a snorkel.

Here one shot I took with the lens, to capture the crowd. Note the corners.

Name:  B1B-Attack.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  215.1 KB

As it stands, there is not a lot of variety in this focal range/length for the SONY-mount, at this time. The TAMRON or SONY (same lens) 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 is about it. That may change if Tokina gets down with it and produces SONY-mounts for it new line of digital glass.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by shanks View Post
    can anyone suggest either of the 11-18 or the 16mm fisheye - one over the other.

i am still considering which specialty lens to go with and i'm wondering if anyone has experience with these two in particular, and which one is a better overall for extreme wide angles.
    The Tamron/Sony 11-18 is NOT a fisheye lens, and is not for extreme wide angles. It is a corrected wide angle lens, not not even close to how wide fish eye lenses are.

The 16mm you mention must be a fisheye for full frame, and will not be very wide either on your 1.5x crop body.

your best bet is to either:
    1. Get the 8mm Sigma for Sony/Minolta mount
    2. Get a Nikon or Canon body, the selection of fish eye lenses will be a lot bigger.