Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Dust + Jerk = Mistake :(

Okay...as usual I got some dust in my sensor today and as usual I tried to blow it away with my mouth. Though this time the dust was not blown away. Now like a dumb jerk I tried to clean the sensor with a cotton bud, bad idea I know. Well that didn't help either. So I called up the local dealer and asked him how much would it cost to get the sensor cleaned. He said $80.....

Now I have three questions...
    1) Can I leave the Dust on the sensor....it doesn't show on the pictures unless you view the pic at 100%, then also its a tiny dot.

2) By using the cotton bud I know I might have damaged/scratched the sensor, how can I find out..???

3) While blowing through my mouth, I had to stop to cough (I have a bad cold), I moved the camera out of the wat but I think a small speck of saliva ended up on the sensor...is that bad???

Now I have taken a few pictures with my camera and all seems fine, but its nighttime here so I'm going to wait till tomorrow morning to see if anything is really been done to the sensor.

I just may have ruined my camera.....after all the effort to get it...I'm such a wrecker...
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Minolta Riva 100AF, Sinpo PQ-3, Olympus mju-III wide 100, Yashica 635
    Digital
    Sony cybershot W90, cybershot T90
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Sigma 24mm f1.8|50mm f2.8|105mm f2.8 Samyang 8mm fisheye
    Portfolio

cotton is not hard enough to scratch the sensor's glass, so most probably you did not damage it.

But don't do it again. Get a good cleaning kit (special wet cleaning kits are good to remove sticky dust and saliva from weirdos that blow in their cameras!), and get a special blower to get rid of dust in your DSLR.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

I know a guy who cleans his 'sensor' (you are not really touching the sensor) with q-tips and windex. Its not the extremely sensitive procedure that many make it out to be and nothing to be afraid of. Check this link out for a few different techniques.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

Wow, $80?

For $30 you can get a pretty good kit here and do it yourself.
    I just noticed that you're in the UAE, I don't think you'll be able to buy those kits - you'll have to find a local supplier. Something about shipping the chemicals through the air.

Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    1) Can I leave the Dust on the sensor....it doesn't show on the pictures unless you view the pic at 100%, then also its a tiny dot.
    Yeah, sure you can - but, why? I don't think it can cause any physical damage, it's more of an annoyance.

OMG, you have to clean these things too!? Sheesh!

j.k.
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Yuk. I just found dust on my sensor. It's been there a few days. I hadn't checked my images for a few days so I have several days worth of dusty images.

It's a shame but fortunately it only shows on some images.

Cleaning kits that are reliable are going to be hard to find......I might look around today.....

anyway I'm not in a hurry, as I said, the dust doesn't show in my images unless you really look carefully....
    the only annoyance is when I'm looking through the viewfinder, I'll get over that soon though....

anyway I'll be back later with all the names of cleaning kit companies available here to find out what is reliable....
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Minolta Riva 100AF, Sinpo PQ-3, Olympus mju-III wide 100, Yashica 635
    Digital
    Sony cybershot W90, cybershot T90
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Sigma 24mm f1.8|50mm f2.8|105mm f2.8 Samyang 8mm fisheye
    Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by faisal View Post
    the dust doesn't show in my images unless you really look carefully....
    the only annoyance is when I'm looking through the viewfinder, I'll get over that soon though....
    You mean you can see the dust when looking through the vf? If so, then it's not on the sensor (or not only)--it's in the viewfinder itself or on the mirror.
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

The effect of sensor dust on the image is much more pronounced if you stop down the aperture (larger f number.) Stop down the lens all the way and take an image of a blank white wall or a clear sky and you'll immediately know if your sensor needs cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Besen View Post
    The effect of sensor dust on the image is much more pronounced if you stop down the aperture (larger f number.) Stop down the lens all the way and take an image of a blank white wall or a clear sky and you'll immediately know if your sensor needs cleaning.
    That doesn't necessarily mean that it needs cleaning, it's just confirming that there is dust on your sensor. How often do you shoot at f/22?

I clean my sensor as soon as I notice the dust on 'normal, every day' pictures. I rarely shoot at such small apertures that dust is noticeable. If I cleaned my sensor every time dust showed up at f/22, I'd be cleaning it after every lens change.