Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Lens Cap on or Lens Cap off????

Please help me with this problem. Every time I shoot a picture with the lens cap on it is very dark. Nothing I do can improve the image. But when I take the lens cap off suddenly the picture is much brighter. What am I doing wrong? Please help me decide which is the right way. I cant do it by myself. Does it matter which camera I am using? Can I leave the lens cap on my Pentax but not on my Fuji? What a problem I have. Oh whoa is me. Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    Please help me with this problem. Every time I shoot a picture with the lens cap on it is very dark. Nothing I do can improve the image. But when I take the lens cap off suddenly the picture is much brighter. What am I doing wrong? Please help me decide which is the right way. I cant do it by myself. Does it matter which camera I am using? Can I leave the lens cap on my Pentax but not on my Fuji? What a problem I have. Oh whoa is me. Please help.
    You are supposed to take the lens cap off, attach a propeller to it and place it your head. Spin the propeller with your hand (if your camera has Image Stabilization, jump up down after you spin it) and shout "Look at me! I'm a photographer! I'm a photographer!".
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Quote Originally Posted by JTL View Post
    You are supposed to take the lens cap off, attach a propeller to it and place it your head. Spin the propeller with your hand (if your camera has Image Stabilization, jump up down after you spin it) and shout "Look at me! I'm a photographer! I'm a photographer!".
    You left the tin foil out! And that is an important step...
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Thank you for your help JTL. Where does one get a propeller? Im sure I cant find it by myself. Does it have to be a big one or will a small one do just as well. Is bigger better? Ive heard that bigger IS better. I cant afford to get a new propeller now so can someone please help me.
    Oh, oh, where do I shove the tin foil coldrain?

ROFLMAO
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Thank you for your help JTL. Where does one get a propeller? Im sure I cant find it by myself. Does it have to be a big one or will a small one do just as well. Is bigger better? Ive heard that bigger IS better. I cant afford to get a new propeller now so can someone please help me.
    You can get them at B&H. They're very good, but expensive. You can get cheap Chinese propellers from eBay, but they're unreliable. You can also DIY with titanium, aircraft aluminum, and depleted uranium. Here's a great site to get you started: Propellerist.

By the way, is the lens cap on a constant- or variable-aperture lens? There's a difference I hear. Does it happen when you shoot in M and Av?
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

I think you should just sell your camera and get a 40D. I hear it takes very nice images with the lens cap on.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Adam I dont know if I have a M or Av variable lens. Is that the doogiggie on the front or the back that I look into? I think its variable since its whatever I set it at. Does it make a difference if the lens cap is made of plastic or metal. Mine is metal and it screws on. I like it when it screws on. It gives me a piece of mind. Thank you Wengler. I might have to get a new camera. One that doesnt come with a lens cap. You guys have been so helpful. Now lets hear the next dumb question.

In "Av" and "M" (MANUAL) mode, no matter what lens cap you choose, the lens cap becomes a "fast"-constant aperture lens cap throughout the zoom range. I say stick with the lens cap on and just use Av or M mode. Heck, you may not even need the lens!
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

I don't know if I should confide in you guys, but sometimes I'll switch lens caps around on my lenses and take the shots, the darkness is is enlightening. But then smarta** will say "Hey you can't have that Canon cap on that Oly lens!!"
    If only I had the courage to wear that propeller.