Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smart

12 36.36%
  • Not

21 63.64%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ken Rockwell-Smart, or, um, not??

So what do you think? Is he a genius or the opposite?
    kenrockwell.com
    My opinion would be the latter (in terms of cameras, anyway).
    Ken, you just saved me $500!! I was going to get a Canon XT with a nice lens, but you showed me the gear doesn't matter, I do!! So I went out and bought one of those cheap Walmart "digital cameras" for $15. Since megapixels don't matter, I can print HUGE with 640 by 480 resolution!! (Um, no. I don't think so!)

It does depend on the user somewhat, but the gear is definitely a BIG part of good pictures. You just can't get the same picture with a Kodak V803 as a Canon 1Ds Mark III.

Look at his comparison on Canon A530 and the 5d. Maybe with the picture resized to a small size and in good light and with the default settings the pics look the same. But look at a larger picture, take a photo in low light, and adjust the settings for a better picture, and the 5d will ALWAYS be better.

Anyhow, just my opinion.
    EDIT: I don't know why I put this in the "What camera should I buy" forum. I guess it's because I'm so used to posting here....
    Last edited by photography555; 12-06-2007 at 11:15 AM.

hmm, he definitely tries to convince you through structure of his words

he makes the D40 sound like a camera straight from the heavens.

I wouldn't recommend him
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Quote Originally Posted by Turn View Post
    hmm, he definitely tries to convince you through structure of his words

I wouldn't recommend him
    this is my fave quote

"No one, not even me who uses his cameras all day long, needs anything better than a D40. Guys who own fancy cameras may not have the confidence to admit it and poke fun at the D40, but I love it.

I own fancier cameras because they make it even easier to do fringe-element things, like make 6-foot-wide prints that are still sharp close up (prints from a D40 look great at any size when seen from a reasonable distance), or shoot with bizarre wide angle lenses, or burn away at 10 frames per second for sports. No one needs this, but if you have the cash or use cameras so much that even little improvements are appreciated, go for it."
    PENTAX K100D, 18-55mm kit lens, Cosina-K 28mm f2.8, FA 50mm f1.4, K-Mount 135mm f2.8, DA 50-200mm lens, Sigma EF 500 DG Super flash
    The Tb Photos Flickr Photostream
    The Tb Photos Blog
    Tb Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Turn View Post
    I don't believe that Ken is familiar with the concept of "cropping."

Ken says a lot of funny things that often are contradictory. For a Nikon-oriented site, I like Thom Hogan a lot better.

His dissing of "measurebators" and "online experts" is great though, even though he is guilty of measurebation.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm#0
    Sam

Nikon D80, D300s, Nikkormat EL, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 55-200mm f4-f5.6 VR AF-S Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D Nikkor, 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q pre-AI, Hanimex 35mm f2.8 doorstop

www.flickr.com/photos/swpars

Question Who knew?

I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion ... after looking at the Nikon D300 ... I'm here to tell you you don't need much more than this to get darn near any kind of shot you want. With a good VR-lens ... you might be able to turn out a decent shot under many different and difficult scenarios. Who knew? Ken Rockwell?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion ... after looking at the Nikon D300 ... I'm here to tell you you don't need much more than this to get darn near any kind of shot you want. With a good VR-lens ... you might be able to turn out a decent shot under many different and difficult scenarios. Who knew? Ken Rockwell?
    I would agree that he is entitled to his opinion. But some things he says are just plain wrong, like about the comparison between the $150 and $5000 camera.

It's good to hear that you were able to learn from his site, though.

Ok, so I finally did it. After reading numerous references to this Ken Rockwell fella over the last 18 months, and in direct response to this thread, I decided to check out his website and see what all the fuss was about.

Frankly, I don't see what is so wrong with what he has to say

Admittedly, I've spent all of 30 mins on his site, but in that 30 mins, he did nothing to offend me.

His comments about not needing the latest and greatest equipment are echoed on many websites. I can tell you that a well known contributor on this forum starts his Photography Course by showing students just what can be achieved by using equipment at the lower end of the equipment scale. Is this to say that spending the extra $$$ is a waste ? Certainly not....but it does give you the confidence to experiment with what you have (and what you can afford)

Give Ken his due, he does go on to say that the higher end models give additional features and the "ability" to make greater advances in the photography world.

From a technical point of view, I'm aware that Ken has some views and opinions (some of which may be "factually" incorrect), that are in stark contrast to posters on this forum. But let's not forget that we get these same differences of opinion, and differences in factual interpretation, on this very forum as well.

I guess this means that if there is information provided on this forum that is inaccurate, then we should be held to ridicule too
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

I have nothing against him; I hope no one misinterpreted my post. My point is, as a photographer, his advice is somewhat lacking. A lot of his advice (about what gear to buy, mainly) is, from a technical and logical standpoint, wrong.
    Of course, some of his workshops are pretty good. I just don't agree with or recommend his gear advice.

I would agree that you don't have to buy the latest and "greatest" gear, but if you are serious about photography, you do need to get a capable camera, which is not something that a $150 camera (at least not at this point in time) can buy.

I don't mean to ridicule him as a person; I just think his gear advice is wrong, IMHO.

Ken has a habit of painting (very loudly and obnoxiously at times) with too broad a brush. For example, he goes on and on about how megapixels don't matter. And while there's some truth to that, he NEVER considers the fact that some people may do a significant amount of cropping and that others may want to print poster-size pics.
    Nikon D40x + 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR