Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Nikon D-40 or Olympus SP-550UZ

Which camera should I get? My husband went to get me the Nikon b/c a friend of mine has it and loves it but the retailer talked him in to the Olympus--why, we don't know b/c it was half the cost so he lost on commission. I am a mother of 3 children and want a digital camera that takes consecutive pics without pause. He was/is willing to spend the money on the Nikon but they really pushed the Olympus...can anyone explain why or tell me which is better for me? The cost is not an issue and it will be used to take pics of my kids who are constantly in motion as they are 5, 4, and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by dannabenne View Post
    Which camera should I get? My husband went to get me the Nikon b/c a friend of mine has it and loves it but the retailer talked him in to the Olympus--why, we don't know b/c it was half the cost so he lost on commission. I am a mother of 3 children and want a digital camera that takes consecutive pics without pause. He was/is willing to spend the money on the Nikon but they really pushed the Olympus...can anyone explain why or tell me which is better for me? The cost is not an issue and it will be used to take pics of my kids who are constantly in motion as they are 5, 4, and 2.
    I'm not a big Olympus fan because of the X-D memory cards they are still using, they are slow, expensive and small in capacity. The Nikon..or any DSLR will out preform any P/S camera on the market in image quality, focus speed and shot to shot speed. What you lose with a DSLR is the ability to take video, something that a P/S camera can do very well. If you want better performance and pictures only are ok..get the Nikon DSLR. But if video is something that you may want, I would look at the Canon S5IS as my first choice.
    Doug
    Pentax K200D,Pentax 18-250,Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro
    Kodak Z915
    http://picasaweb.google.com/pas49ras

Quote Originally Posted by dannabenne View Post
    if your main objective is to take pics with no shutter lag and take continuous frames quickly, the oly, (or any compact/ superzoom) is not the right choice. only a dslr will give you that freedom. so i'd consider the d40 or oly e510 if you want olympus.

the biggest drawback you face with dslr as opposed to the 550uz is that you dont get anywhere near the amount of zoom on a dslr. thats one of the tradeoffs.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr