4 36.36%
  • Get an XT, and use the extra money to get a backup point and shoot

0 0%
  • Get the XTi

7 63.64%

Thread: XT vs XTi?

Hybrid View

XT vs XTi?

Here's my dilemma. I can get a used Canon XT w/ a lens for $300. I can get a new Canon XTi for $500 w/ a lens. I will have $300 in January, and an additional $200 in March. Should I get the Canon XT with the kit lens in January, and in March buy an additional lens/backup point and shoot, or should I get the XTi with the kit lens using the money combined?

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Get the XT body only and get a decent lens with it. I'm in favour of the 17-85 IS as it works well on my XT despite what the detractor on this forum will say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Get the XT body only and get a decent lens with it. I'm in favour of the 17-85 IS as it works well on my XT despite what the detractor on this forum will say.
    Actually for the $300 the XT comes with an 18-55mm lens. I can't buy it body only, because the kit is the only configuration the seller offers.
    The lens you mentioned (if I'm looking at the right one) is $400. That's a bit out of my price range.
    Since the lens that comes with the XT is an 18-55 lens, the add. one I want to get would be a telephoto zoom. What would be a good one for under $200?

Haha, here we go again... don't bother about that 17-85 IS. It is nothing special, and not at all within your budget (and other lenses are better).

The XT is a good camera capable of good images. The XTi's main improvement is in the autofocus system, which is a bit more accurate/reliable.

Your budget does not seem to allow it, but instead of the 18-55 kit lens, you might want to look at the new EF 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS. It is sharper, better than both the standard old 18-55 kitlens and that 17-85.
    It costs around $180.

About tele lenses... only one tele lens will give acceptable quality for around $200. That is the Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO DG Macro. All others do not perform well at the tele end, losing contrast, sharpness too much.
    It will cost around $220.

Even though I would recommend the XTi because of its AF system, I still really like my 350D(XT) and can make nice photos with it.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

How many exposures has that used XT been through? If you don't already know, find out.

Coldrains 350D should go in the "Canon Hall of Fame" when he is done with it
    Spook

It's not that complicated. Funding will allow you limited choices. Your poll doesn't show that. In that you ask about buying the XT and using $200 to buy another lens; that's not going to happen unless you buy used. P&S back up? not neccessary, unless you need it on the job.
    This sounds like your first Dslr, I'd go with the XT and the kit lens. Get to know the camera; it's strengths, it's weaknesses and use the heck out of it as well as some decent imaging software. The focus issues as well as the 2mp diff. will not affect your artistic style nor your interest in photography.

For $300 in today's market is a drop in the technological bucket, even purchasing a new P&S for that much will give 3-4 yrs of what you want.

My say on this one is go for the XT, use it for a year, sell it for $200 and upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by fotogmarc View Post
    It's not that complicated. Funding will allow you limited choices. Your poll doesn't show that. In that you ask about buying the XT and using $200 to buy another lens; that's not going to happen unless you buy used. P&S back up? not neccessary, unless you need it on the job.
    This sounds like your first Dslr, I'd go with the XT and the kit lens. Get to know the camera; it's strengths, it's weaknesses and use the heck out of it as well as some decent imaging software. The focus issues as well as the 2mp diff. will not affect your artistic style nor your interest in photography.

For $300 in today's market is a drop in the technological bucket, even purchasing a new P&S for that much will give 3-4 yrs of what you want.

My say on this one is go for the XT, use it for a year, sell it for $200 and upgrade.
    Thanks for the reply.
    In my first post I did say that the XT w/ the kit lens was used and it was $300. So do you think I should get that, and later on get another lens?

I say XT

I've seen many great photos with the XT really..but what kind of photos will you be taking?
    Last edited by Turn; 12-06-2007 at 08:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

If you can find a good lens in your price prange go for the XT.
    There doesn't seem to be many lenses that would be a better replacement of your kit lens for $200. (Check lens reviews)

I'm sure someone in the forum can suggest one (or two) maybe there are deals out there.

Don't forget about extras: Tripod, extra battery, flash, carrying case. These will easily cost you over $200. If you go with a new XTi you're still stuck with the kit lens and a longer wait for a new one. However, it is always nice the have that factory fresh smell of a new camera and the extras the others have pointed out.
    Don't get too down on the kit lens. I'ved used one and they are not that bad. Can you compare them to a $600 upgrade? Not really, but they still get the job done.

I base this on my own experience. I purchased the Olympus E500 with a twin lens kit (18-45mm, 40-150mm) back when they were about $600. I wanted an entry level Dslr with good performance and lenses to match. I have not been disppointed and when I'm ready to upgrade I'll have a better idea of what I want, without any remorse about spending too much on this gear.

Being as the XT is used there's always a risk. I avoid used equipment, unless the seller is offering a solid warranty. Make sure you look inside (take off the lens) the camera for sand, condensation evidence as well as the contacts for the battery and memory card. These will give you an indication of how much it was used.

Best of luck with what ever you go with.
    Last edited by fotogmarc; 12-06-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: add'l info