Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile I need a new camera...help!

Hello,
    I need some suggestions! I am looking for a camera that takes good photos at night (outside, in the dark, bright lights, etc). Thanks.

Uhm, that's extremely vague. What type of camera are you looking for? Compact, SLR, etc. What is your budget?
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I am just starting out in photography, so I am not very skilled. I don't want to spend too much...no more than $600. I kinda like the Canon Rebel XT. I just need a camera that takes good photos outside at night and bright lights. Thanks.

I also like the Canon S3/S5 IS's....do they take good outdoor photos at night with many lights?

Are you talking about night pictures with or without a tripod? With a tripod the S3/S5 might work fine. Without a tripod an SLR would be better. Read the reviews for the Nikon D40, Pentax K100D and the Canon XT.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Can you give some examples of what you expect to be shooting? Why do you want a dSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by JennyJenny View Post
    I am just starting out in photography, so I am not very skilled. I don't want to spend too much...no more than $600. I kinda like the Canon Rebel XT. I just need a camera that takes good photos outside at night and bright lights. Thanks.
    Well, that leaves the door wide open. I'm not an expert, by no means; but...

You can do this with a point and shoot. These were taken 2 weeks ago with my 2 yr old Sony DSC-H2 that cost me just over 300 bucks new.

Night time outside:

Bright sunny day?

BTW, none of these photos were touched up.

If you are not sure about a camera, I would get a P & S first and work on skills and then move to a SLR.

Just my .02
    Nick Wilson
    Click HERE if you believe in Voo Deaux
    2 yr old Sony DSC H-2 <--- my BIG camera for now
    Pentax Optio W30 <--- my companion on my bike at all times

any day now:
    Nikon D40 kit
    15-85mm and 55-200vr
    EB-300 Flash

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Can you give some examples of what you expect to be shooting? Why do you want a dSLR?

Lights outside at night in big cities, fireworks, etc...

I don't necessarily WANT a dslr. I don't even know much about cameras, I just want suggestions as to which camera I should get for taking these kind of photos.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Are you talking about night pictures with or without a tripod? With a tripod the S3/S5 might work fine. Without a tripod an SLR would be better. Read the reviews for the Nikon D40, Pentax K100D and the Canon XT.

Without a tripod.

So, neither the s3 or the s5 would work well without a tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by JennyJenny View Post
    Without a tripod.

So, neither the s3 or the s5 would work well without a tripod?
    At night you need to keep the shutter open for a long time to gather enough light. You can reduce the amount of time needed by pushing the ISO higher, but that only works to a point. IS helps keep the camera steady, but it only goes so far. If you are taking shots at night a tripod will keep the camera much steadier then any handheld shot.

You can certainly take good night shots with the S3 or S5 without a tripod but you have to match your expectations to the camera. You'll need to push the ISO higher which will add noise. You'll need to learn how to brace yourself to keep steady while shooting. If your subject is moving it will be blurry - which may or may not be the effect you want.

Other cameras that have better high ISO performance (like a DSLR) will allow you to push the ISO higher, allowing you to use a faster shutter speed and helping to mitigate (but not eliminate) the blur.

What do you mean by "Lights outside in big cities"? Are you talking about taking shots of lit up buildings and Christmas decorations? For fireworks you need a tripod of some sort - you simply can't handhold any camera long enough to get clear images. A cheaper P&S on a $50 tripod will probably be a better solution then an $1000 DSLR.