Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What resolution to shoot in for website?

I just got a Canon S5 IS and LOVE IT! When I shoot in full size, the quality is outstanding, rich, and detailed. However, when I reduce photo size (either in Zoombrowser for emailing or in Roxio's Photosuite), the quality naturally drops. Since I shoot for a website, what I want is a higher quality photo but a smaller size. Based on that, is it better for me to reduce the actual size of the image shot but keep the resolution? Does that still give me the advantage of the 8 megapixels? Is there a downsize to doing this?

Most of my pics on the site are either 700X700, 400X400, or 175X175. I can take a beautiful full size shot but it gets pretty average when I size it down to 400X400, and worse when I get it to 175X175.

Also, I shot a ton of photos with a Nikon D80 in full size. What is the best way to keep the quality, but reduce the size of the actual image?

Thanks!

The problem is the way you reduce the image for web use, not the resolution you shoot in. How exactly are you doing that, step-by-step?

When you lower the resolution you are shooting you're just asking the camera to do the same thing. It may save time but it's doing the same thing you would be doing in the computer. I'm not sure what you expect from a 175x175 pixel image; there's just not very much information there.

Can you post examples for us to see?

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    shoot full size. Keep the full-size images. Make resized copies to about 75% and all should be fine.

So here are some examples. The originals were shot with a Nikon D80 and have lots of fine detail. When I shrunk them down, I used Roxio and resized to 175X175. This dropped the file size down dramatically. My question is whether there is a way to make a higher quality image that is small - instead of shrinking the file to 69K, for example, maybe leave it at around 250K. Notice how everything is a bit harsh and jagged? (Maybe it's just my LCD screen??)

Another example - I took a full size shot of my cat. The image is resized for my screen (full screen) and it's fantastic. When I shrink it down to a 5X7 on the screen, the quality is not as good (and the file size once again has dropped to around 300K). Is there software that lets me resize the photo without dropping the size of the file (or at least let me select the quality of the image?)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    The resizing software is faulty. Use Photoshop Elements instead.

gng, I use Picasa which is a free photo imager from Google. Using the export file tag, you can get a large image say 1024 wide out of a very large jpeg file.
    It will reduce the overall file size with some loss of quality, but that happens with nearly all resize software. Experiment with free ones and if that doesn't suffice you can upgrade to the others anytime.
    I'll post a example of a candid shot of my cat from this last weekend. Original jpeg file was 5.92mb and with export only in Picasa it is now 76.7kb, which is usually within the post limits of most websites.
    Spook
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Spookonthe8ball View Post
    gng, I use Picasa which is a free photo imager from Google. Using the export file tag, you can get a large image say 1024 wide out of a very large jpeg file.
    It will reduce the overall file size with some loss of quality, but that happens with nearly all resize software. Experiment with free ones and if that doesn't suffice you can upgrade to the others anytime.
    I'll post a example of a candid shot of my cat from this last weekend. Original jpeg file was 5.92mb and with export only in Picasa it is now 76.7kb, which is usually within the post limits of most websites.
    Spook
    Wow, nice quality. OK, you guys convinced me it's the software. I'll check around and let you know what I end up with. Thanks.

With a small image detail will be lost. There's nothing you can do about that, there's just so much information you can capture in 175 pixels. Reducing the size of the image had a major impact on the image quality - which is different then keeping a file large and reducing the file size.

Better software will help, but I'm concerned that your expectations are unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    With a small image detail will be lost. There's nothing you can do about that, there's just so much information you can capture in 175 pixels. Reducing the size of the image had a major impact on the image quality - which is different then keeping a file large and reducing the file size.

Better software will help, but I'm concerned that your expectations are unrealistic.
    Look at the picture on the right with the wine bottles. I think it looks horrible, like it's totally pixelated. Do you think this is the best I can get it? Remember, the original is perfect and DSLR clear in it's huge state.

Post a link to your original image so we can play with it.

How exactly did you create the thumbnail image, step-by-step?