Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

My favourite photo of 2007

My thread my rules.

You may post ONE photo each in this thread.
    The photo should be the photo that you have taken during calender year 2007 that is your personal favourite shot.
    The photo does not have to be technically good just your personal favourite.
    Whether you post an explanation of why the photo is your favourite is up to you.
    Photos that have already appeared in POTD or elsewhere are okay.
    Exif not required.
    Comments allowed as long as they stay on topic.

great thread idea. lets hope everyone that posts on this forum contributes to the thread.

maybe Jeff can make it a sticky ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Guess Im gonna go first then .

It wasn't a very long Photography year for me but It's still a hard choice . So many pictures i like, which is a good thing ofc.
    I like this one couse i think i really met the limits of my gear, i didn't know the D40+kit lens could produce this good close ups. Love the lighting too which is all natural.

Keep'em comming!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/14807929@N05/

D40+Sigma 17-70-2.8-4.5 DC MACRO

my favourite shot of this year is one of the very first photos i ever took with my D80. i remember at the time i bought it i was second guessing myself and wondering...did i make the right decision going from canon to nikon ? should i have bought the 30d instead ? did i make the right choice ? should i have bought a better lens ? you know what i mean...all those silly technology thoughts you sometimes have when you suffer from pixel peeping and "paralysis by analysis".

it was this shot that made me remember that it's not about the gear. sometimes it's just about the fact that you have a tool, any tool, that is able to capture a moment forever and an innanimate object like a photo can make you feel something.

not technically my best ever shot and i have heaps of others that other people prefer that are sharper, have better lighting or composition etc but this captured a moment that i love and i'm big on moments.

we were getting ready to bath Lucas and i grabbed the camera to take some shots of him in the bath. as i walked around the corner i saw my wife Lara just standing in the hallway holding Lucas close with a peaceful, contented look on her face. to me this shows the love in Lara's heart and the safety Lucas can only feel when being held close in his mothers arms. they were totally oblivious to me being there, (until the sb600 shattered the moment ), in their own little world. the feeling of peace it gives me is overwhelming. it still gives me butterflies and it's a massive canvas on our living room wall.

i love photos that you can look at long after the shot was taken and it triggers memories so that you can vividly remember the moment itself as if it happened yesterday which is essentially the reason i fell in love with photography in the first place some 20 years ago.

Nikon D80, 18-135mm kit lens, f4.5, 78mm, sb600 bounced off ceiling, 1/125s, iso320.

Last edited by Rooz; 12-05-2007 at 01:51 PM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

This is a shot from my first paid gig. It made me realize that I might have a chance at being a good photographer and gave me inspiration to keep on going. Huge thanks to the Strobist group for helping me learn off camera lighting and how to keep it simple.

D80 with 17-55mm f/2.8 and 1 SB-800 fired through a 45" umbrella

Nikon D200 w/Nikon MB-D200 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 | 2 SB-800's & 2 SB-600's
    http://www.stillframesbynick.com/

Rooz

When I saw this shot I thought it was amazing for the reasons you mentioned. The moment captured. Its a stunning shot and reading your post makes you remember that its all about capturing those memories and re-living them.
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

http://www.philipduartephotography.com

"It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

Topic was favorite, and I have many, but if I have to pick just 1 today this was it. This is not in the realm of best, but as Rooz said "it captured a moment". A little girl that was enjoying our 100th birthday as a state. All I know about her is that her dad is in college and was in the "Pride of Oklahoma" band. The dance group was a great crowd favorite.
    Spook
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Really good thread idea. Well, I had a bit of a hard time deciding between two or three, but I think this is the one.

Name:  _DSC5571c.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  114.9 KB

I've only had my DSLR half of '07, but of course managed a few shots I'm really happy with. This one was made after about two months of having the camera, so I was very pleased with the exposure and composition. It made me feel like I was beginning to know what I was doing. Plus I knew right away what PP I wanted to do to it.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Who started this thread? This is one of the most difficult things I have had to do for a long time - selecting one favourite photo is almost impossible.

I selected a photo then found out that I took it on 29 December 2006 so it doesn't qualify. Now it's back to the drawing board so to speak.

This restricted to shots taken with a Nikon? Or restricted to DSLRs?
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr