Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Looking for IS cameras that are simple to use with great images

Budget

1) What budget have you allocated for buying this camera?
    -Price really doesn't matter to be honest.

Size

2) What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    - Small as possible to meet my thread title

Features

3) How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    -Again, doesn't matter as long as it meets my requirements in thread title

4) What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)
    - Standard

5) How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    - Minimum of 8

6) Do you care for manual controls?
    - Nope, simple to use as possible

General Usage

7) What will you generally use the camera for?
    - Point and shoot, with a skew to more in door photos than outdoors with a lot of the images being in lower light (bars/clubs)

8) Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    - EDIT: No big prints, most likely smaller ones since our Fuji will probably take nicer larger prints.

9) Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    - Yes, over 60% i'd guess

10) Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    - Rarely

Miscellaneous

11) Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    - Nope, all about what fits my requirements

12) Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    - Originally looking at the SD800IS but it has become outdated by several models, so now i'm confused and don't have time to do the necessary research i did on the Fuji last year. I bought a Fuji F30 last year and LOVE IT however i bought it for my g/f and it's too technical for here. I need something that meets my title requirements.

13) (If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Yup:
    1) Wide Angle (will consider those w/o however)
    2) IS is a must
    3) No need for waterproof
    4) what is hotshoe?
    5) no to the rotating LCD

---------------------------------------------------------

Background that will help:

I research cameras last year and bought a Fuji F30 as it was the best compromise for picture quality and low light photos and from my use of it for a year i would have to say (for low light photos in bars/restaurants) it is superior to any other point/shoot i've used. However it bought it for my g/f and she has shaky hands which doesn't work well with the low light modes. Plus she never really got into learning how to use the manual controls (as i did) so i always end up taking the pictures because i can get the settings right much faster.

So what i need is the best point and shoot camera that is simple to use, has IS, and preferable has a wide angle lense. That's why i originally was looking at the 800IS but there are so many new models i'm not sure what to look at. Also i will consider other brands i don't know about.

Thanks for all the help. This forum was always for help last year and hope it is again for this year.

-------

EDIT: Wow, comparing the 870IS to the 800IS doesn't seem like a gigantic improvement however the auto iso feature might be worth it. You do lose the 60fps mode which would be helpful for me in shooting my golf swing (i'm an aspring pro). However one thing is i can't believe how nosiy some of the canon photos are at middle iso levels compared to our fuji, it's not even CLOSE! ugh. Still looking for all suggestions, thanks guys/gals.
    Last edited by jim_0068; 12-02-2007 at 08:13 PM.

There's nothing wrong with the SD800 IS. It's still a current camera as far as I know and the only thing outdated with it is that it doesn't have as many megapixels as some of the newer releases from Canon. That doesn't mean that the picture quality is any worse.

One thing that I believe is missing from the SD800 IS is face detection. The only reason why I consider it useful is because of the occasional time that you have to hand the camera to someone who isn't familiar with the half-press-the-shutter-button method of focusing on someone who is off-center in the shot...it could save you some wasted pictures. The newer SD870 IS has face detection. It's the other Canon PowerShot model you should consider if you like the idea of the lens that starts at 28mm; however it doesn't have an optical viewfinder, if you think that will be important.

Other cameras to consider are a few models from Panasonic which feature IS and lenses that start at 28mm: the DMC-FX33, DMC-FX55 (both 8-megapixel cameras), and DMC-FX100 (which is a 12-megapixel camera). I don't know why you'd need 12 megapixels in a pocket cam, so I think the first two are better buys.

I like the image quality of the Canons slightly better than that of the Panasonics, but you should play with them in a store if you can. If the Panasonics feel more intuitive to you (and therefore, possibly easier for your girlfriend to use), it might give them the edge.

Stephanie

P.S. You're right about the high ISO capability of all of the above mentioned cameras not holding a candle to that of the F30. But, as you've found out, the F30 really needs some user input to make the photos shine. If the owner is willing to do that, I still think it's the best compact camera out there (and yes I am a bit biased ). If not, then he/she will be happier with something else.
    Last edited by sjseto; 12-02-2007 at 08:41 PM.
    My Nikon D80 gallery
    My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries

SLR stuff: Nikon D80 | Nikon F80 | Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom | Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8D | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2D | Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) | Tamron SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical (IF) | Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

P&S stuff: Fujifilm FinePix F30 | Fujifilm FinePix F10

Accessories: Slik Sprint Pro GM tripod

Thanks for the reply however it isn't a case of being biased, it's simply a fact imo. Look at all the "test photos" that DCR does and compare the F30 to other common "point and shoots" at even say 400ISO, there's no contest.

EDIT:

Do you think that since a lot of the usage for my g/f would include low light conditions (which would choose lower ISOs natively i hope) combined with the image stabilization, it *should* take decent photos right? I mean on our F30 i always lower the ISO and increase the time it takes to take the picture (sorry i forgot the term, not a real in depth user just know how to use it haha) and the pictures come out great.
    Last edited by jim_0068; 12-02-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Oops...first of all, I was wrong about the SD800 IS not having a face detection feature. It does.

I don't know if the PowerShot SD series like to choose lower ISO's when you have ISO set to Auto. I would guess that it's better in that respect than the F10 (the F30 corrected that by adding an Auto 400 setting). I was reading about the Auto ISO Shift feature that is on the SD870 IS, and it seems like a great idea in theory. That combined with IS should really help keep blurry shots due to shaky hands to a minimum.

It would be interesting to know how exactly the Auto ISO Shift feature works...what the camera considers to be an acceptable shutter speed for hand-held shots, and if it varies according to lens focal length and whether or not IS is engaged. Maybe someone who owns one can chime in? Otherwise, I'd suggest heading to a store to handle an SD870 IS and experiment with that feature a bit.

Stephanie
    Last edited by sjseto; 12-03-2007 at 12:30 AM.
    My Nikon D80 gallery
    My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries

SLR stuff: Nikon D80 | Nikon F80 | Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom | Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8D | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2D | Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) | Tamron SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical (IF) | Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

P&S stuff: Fujifilm FinePix F30 | Fujifilm FinePix F10

Accessories: Slik Sprint Pro GM tripod

I have an SD800, and I like it a lot. But it's not a great indoor low light camera. The wide angle lens is great, but it is a trade off as some of the other SD-series (like the SD850) has better image quality, albeit without the wide angle lens.

If you're willing to use the flash all the time in low light it's a good choice. It does well as a simple P&S.