Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Make life simple ... go this way?

Everyone asks: "What camera shall I buy?

You need to define what images you need to obtain.

But for those people just starting out, looking for a DSLR that you will not need to upgrade from ... you can get a heck of a lot from a SONY A700 & a TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) lens combination. 12MP images and a all the popular formats ... JPG, RAW, C-RAW ... and combinations thereof.

Truly, this combination should cover almost 90% of everything you're going to shoot, when you are just getting started. It offers anti-shake for every lens you add to it, because it is in-the-body, already. The 18-250mm is a 14x magnification lens, focuses down to 18 inches, weighs only 15 oz.

After that, you can refine your lens needs down and pick up the low-light focal range you really find yourself shooting, just to sharpen it up a little more. The point is, you won't need to upgrade this camera for quite awhile. Personally, longevity is an admirable trait for any piece of technology. This has it ...and more.

Good luck with your new SONY! See ya in the forum!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-29-2007 at 03:49 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lol sony's own personal forum salesperson.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

So many were asking ...

So many have asked "What do I get?"

Here it is ... one size fits all ... well, kind of.

I can't think of what you would miss, using this combo ... in a general way. (<-looking thoughtful)

I know it's kind of like putting out a match with a fire hose, but you have it all ... right up front and for less than $2000.

That sounds like Santa's Comin' to Town, to me ... and you might just make it to Easter, before needing that new and brighter lens.

Last edited by DonSchap; 11-29-2007 at 03:47 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    lol sony's own personal forum salesperson.
    Should I flag this for spam?
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Yes... one would not miss the possibility of getting an actual working 70-200 lens when the 18-250 is not totally what one wants in IQ...

Hmm... how is that SOny 70-200 f2.8 working for you, Don?

Or one would not miss the better IQ of the EOS 40D. Or its live view... or the money one would safe for going for an EOS 40D with 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS.

Long live the extra Sony noise

Now where is my sony memory stick...
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Red face Canon's Annual "QC" Quandry.

I suppose the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM SNAFU was just a flash in the pan for "QC", too, huh Coldrain? Go ahead, excuse that little fun episode ... OR ... the nice and expensive MKIII's AF debacle. $4500 of quality imaging. Sometimes! Another one that got through the cracks. You know what they say about those "glass" houses? Leave your rocks at home.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    Now where is my sony memory stick...
    sitting next to your beta VCR.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    sitting next to your beta VCR.
    I had to laugh at this one. But it'll fit nicely with the blue ray player.

Really though, as someone who will be upgrading come spring, I've given the A700 a very serious look, but all the images I've seen from it look kind of flat. Which is strange, because I really like the color reproduction of their P&S cameras. There's so many reasons for me to want to like the A700, like the 5fps with no buffer limit, cheaper (in the long run) IS system... And I would say the huge library of KM glass, but that seems to be my problem with it.

So Don, does your Sony sponsorship come with anything besides free camera gear?

Smile Menu driven to a fault ...

Look ... I'm just trying to find a few friends to share the excitement of SONY ownership with. Growing the fan club, you might say. You Canon & Nikon guys have people all over the place. I feel like the Maytag Repair Guy.

Anyway ... the A700 has at least a dozen different ways to create an image. The new menu capability, alone, is like nothing I've ever seen. If people are turning out flat looking work ... it's more than likely a user issue. It seems to get great resolution for me. There are all kinds of minor adjustments you can make, in the camera, to improve shots ... a lot more flexibilty than the 20D or 30D had.

With the season turning into nothing but white for the next five months, outdoor color will be at a premium. I suppose we could go for those Hi-Key shots. That could be telling.

Go SONY ... and enjoy seeing clearly, even when your hands are cold, tripod is in the car ... and the light is failing. Brrrrr ... <- teeth chattering

Those days are here ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-29-2007 at 10:47 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Look ... I'm just trying to find a few friends to share the excitement of SONY ownership with. Growing the fan club, you might say. You Canon & Nikon guys have people all over the place. I feel like the Maytag Repair Guy.

Anyway ... the A700 has at least a dozen different ways to create an image. The new menu capability, alone, is like nothing I've ever seen. If people are turning out flat looking work ... it's more than likely a user issue. It seems to get great resolution for me. There are all kinds of minor adjustments you can make, in the camera, to improve shots ... a lot more flexibilty than the 20D or 30D had.

With the season turning into nothing but white for the next five months, outdoor color will be at a premium. I suppose we could go for those Hi-Key shots. That could be telling.

Go SONY ... and enjoy seeing clearly, even when your hands are cold, tripod is in the car ... and the light is failing. Brrrrr ... <- teeth chattering

Those days are here ...
    Have you considered that you're so lonely for a reason, like no one else is buying what your selling (And, make no mistake, you are selling).
    Eric Lund
    Nikon D200
    Nikkors: 17-55mm f2.8, 18-200mm f3.5-f4.5 VR, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 55mm f2.8 AI-S micro, 105mm f2.8 VR micro
    Other Lenses: Tokina 12-24 f4, Tamron 75-300mm f4-5.6 LD macro
    Stuff: Nikon SB800, Nikon MBD200, Gitzo 1327 Tripod w/RRS BH-55LR Ballhead, Sekonic L-358 meter