Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nikon D40 vs Pentax K100d Super

Which one is better?
    From what I could tell, it seemed that the D40 has sharper images, but if I adjusted some of the settings on the K100d, could I get similar images?
    Which camera will be better in low light?
    Which one has more features?
    Would Pentax lenses for the K100d also work with the D40?

Thanks,
    photography555

Which one is better?
    Neither is "better". They are both good, however.

From what I could tell, it seemed that the D40 has sharper images, but if I adjusted some of the settings on the K100d, could I get similar images?
    There is no noticeable difference with the camera body. Yes, you can change settings in the camera. And having a good lens will help.

Which camera will be better in low light?
    Can't answer that, sorry. I have not shot very much at 1600 or 3200, but 800 is usable with the Pentax.

Which one has more features?
    The Penxtax has exposure bracketing (3 shots with different exposures) which is good in tricky light, and a mirror lock up feature (minimizes vibration during long time shots) if you plan on doing night shots, and has in-body stabilization (works with all lenses) which helps reduce blur caused by camera shake, and it has a spot-meter mode (not especially useful for beginners as it takes more interpretation of the reading).

You'd have to check the specs on the Canon - easy enough by going to the buyer's guide at the top of this page.

The Pentax does have a small buffer which will limit how many shots (3 RAW, or 5 jpg) you can take in a row when the shutter is helped down. Not really a limitation unless you plan on taking lots of sports action shots and "just picking the good one" (rather than timing it a bit better...)

Would Pentax lenses for the K100d also work with the D40?
    Not sure if there is any type of adapter. If you already have (good) lenses, I would stick with the body that fits them.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

The Canon XT/XTi have about the same features as the K100D, except no in body IS. And they have different resolutions.
    Not sure why you mentioned Canon though, specialk .

The D40 and K100D are both very the same in image quality. Also in high ISO noise performance. It is virtually impossible to say with confidence which camera made which photo, they are that close.

The Pentax has the most features by far, it has more AF points, mirror lock up, exposure and white balance bracketing, in body IS, depth of field check button, and a RAW convertor standard. This list may be not complete.

The D40 has more silent and faster (depending on the lens) AF.

No, lenses for a Pentax do not work on a Nikon. And the same is true the other way around. And also that goes for other makes, like Olympus, Canon and Sony.

What kind of lens(es) do you think you might wantto buy now and in future? That may also influence your camera choice. Or maybe even point you to another camera (like a Canon XT/XTi).
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

The Canon XT/XTi have about the same features as the K100D, except no in body IS. And they have different resolutions.
    Not sure why you mentioned Canon though, specialk .
    My brain died...
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)

*buries brain with honor detail shooting a volley overhead*

If you want to go low-light, then the Petax might be the better option, if there are affordable Pentax large-aperture primes with good optical quality (are there, Specialk?). I don't know a whole passel o' facts about Pentax. Thing is, the cheapest large-aperture options for Nikon just don't come in AF-S. Not yet. But if you have a bit more to spend, the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 is a good option for either camera (they make it in both mounts). ISO performance is similar (dpreview felt the D40 had just a hair better). Menu system and auto modes, all those newbie-features, on the D40 are definitely better (but that's not so long-term an issue; you will become experienced with either; just maybe a little quicker with the D40 and its on-board help). Nikon is definitely a little easier to find accessories for (along with Canon), though Pentax usually does their best to keep up. Then there's that stabilization thing. As long as you're not photographing moving objects, it definitely helps in low light. It won't work any wonders however.

Oh, and the Nikon kit lens is better than the Pentax one, if you were planning on relying on it for a little while. There's the rundown, as I see it.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Quote Originally Posted by fionndruinne View Post
    *buries brain with honor detail shooting a volley overhead*

If you want to go low-light, then the Petax might be the better option, if there are affordable Pentax large-aperture primes with good optical quality (are there, Specialk?).
    "Affordable" and "good optical quality" are subjective things :-)

However, there are quite a few Pentax people who think the Pentax primes are the best thing ever. Ever!

There are a series of largish-aperture "Limiteds", and thin "pancake" types (an inch long) that I believe are referred to as the Three Amigos.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...p%5F4%3APentax

Sigma makes a 30mm 1.4 that people like. There must be others.

But what do I know - I have only zooms...
    Last edited by SpecialK; 11-26-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Yes, it seems the Sigma 18-50mm is still the low-light lens of choice for Pentax cameras, from what I've seen. Beats the heck out of a trio of primes in the field (though I do kind of envy said trio).
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

I have the Pentax 50mm f/1.4. I paid $155. I like it and it works well for portraits. I don't know anything about the other primes.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Hi there! I just went through this exact dilemma. I know about the cheap 50mm f/1.4 prime for the pentax and the excellent limited primes, but WOW they are expensive. The Pentax does have the cheaper 17-50 or 18-55 large constant apeture zoom, however. I decided on the Nikon D40 because I found it for $399 (refurbished) plus $5 shipping from a reputable dealer. I am anticipating the 18-55 VR coming out soon for it and the lenses from nikon work better for me for what I need them for. So, pick your lenses first But, gosh the features of the Pentax are tempting! Plus, there is a $100 rebate on the super right now from Pentax. Good luck!

I'm trying to make the same decision!!

I am also trying to choose between the D40 and the K100D Super! I have read tons of reviews, and have already tried out the D40 at a store... it "felt" good to me (better than the Canon 350D!).

As I see it, here are the pros and cons:

D40 pros:
    * wider choice of body upgrades
    * includes rechargeable lithium batteries
    * unlimited continuous shooting at 3.0 fps with fast SD card
    * generally thought to have a bit better sensor (dpreview.com reviews)
    * about 100g lighter weight

D40 cons:
    * used lenses will mostly be manual focus only (because only AF-S and AF-I lenses can autofocus with the D40)
    * no stabilization with kit lens
    * more expensive, about $480 with kit lens from a reputable dealer

K100D Super pros:
    * can autofocus and autometer with practically any used Pentax lens
    * can use disposable AA batteries in a pinch
    * has top status LCD
    * has in-body stabilization
    * cheaper, about $430 with kit lens from a reputable dealer

K100D Super cons:
    * not as many body upgrades (K10D is the only one now, right?)
    * sensor not quite as good
    * only 4 frames of continous JPEG shooting at 2.8 fps

As far as the quality of the kit lens goes, I have to say that it seems a tie to me. Some say one is better, some say the other. DPReview.com say both are better than expected, but the Nikon suffers from slight purple fringing, while the K100D suffers from vignetting.

So, I am going to go to another camera store this weekend, and I'd like to try both the D40 and the K100D-Super side by side. I think I'll go for whichever feels best to me!